Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrLeo
    • By MrLeo 10th Sep 17, 7:52 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    MrLeo
    Savings threshold question.
    • 10th Sep 17, 7:52 PM
    Savings threshold question. 10th Sep 17 at 7:52 PM
    Hey guys. I just joined today !

i have a question about savings and how that can affect benefits such as Income based JSA or UC etc. So far, i know that savings of £6000 or less does not affect anyone's money. They get the highest rate as long as it's no more than 6000. But what happens if someone is on the borderline and they may possible go up and over that frequently?

So if someone had, say, £5,900 when they first claim IB JSA or even at any other point in the claim. As far as i understand , this is disregarded and doesn't affect the person's rate of maximum benefit pay? But then say after they receive their first payment of, say, IB JSA of £146 and now they have £6046 in the bank. Do they have to phone up or say that they are now over the 6000 and have to declare that and have the rate of award dropped?

then say another week goes past and they have , say, the phone bill and this costs, say, £70. After they pay that, they are now back to £5976. Do they need to phone up again and say its now again under the £6.000 to get back the full IB JSA again? Then they get their next payment of JSA £146 and they are back over the 6000 because of that... .and so on and so on.

basically what happens if you are close to the borderline and by virtue of receiving your payments, then paying a bill, food, expenses, receiving another payment etc, you are constantly hopping a little bit over and a bit under that 6,000 threshold?

I know you have to have a cutoff point somewhere, but in a situation like that, it seems a bit confusing as to what you'd do or what should happen? I'm not in this situation, but it makes you think that you'd rather try and spend some of your savings in the meantime to keep you away from the £6,000 limit to avoid what might be hassle?
Page 2
    • Housing Benefit Officer
    • By Housing Benefit Officer 12th Sep 17, 5:55 PM
    • 2,394 Posts
    • 4,258 Thanks
    Housing Benefit Officer
    We ignore it when capital goes over due to payments of benefit - as this will normally be spent on living expenses etc. There is something on the regs if I can find it I will post a link.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
    • epitome
    • By epitome 12th Sep 17, 7:33 PM
    • 2,982 Posts
    • 1,816 Thanks
    epitome
    Hello

I receive contribution based esa support group, dla high care & mobility, iidb, civil service ill health retirement pension, plus 2 smaller pensions.
    Originally posted by skcollobcat10
    How much is your ESA award per week?
    You really should phone ESA and find out the answers to my questions, (if nothing else you will learn more about your claim) i.e.
    On screen JA504:
    What amount is showing on ESA Conts and what amount is showing on ESA IR (it is important to note if ESA IR is blank or if it says £0.00, or an amount above zero)

On screen JA523:
    What is the unadjusted total?
    What is the adjusted total?
    What is the ESA Conts total top left?
    Press F4 what amounts are showing and what are they for?
    Press F5 What amounts are showing and what are they for?

Partner disabled, receives Esa support group, dla high care and small pension.
    Exactly the same questions for your partners ESA claim
    How much is their ESA award per week?
    You really should phone ESA and find out the answers to my questions, (if nothing else you will learn more about your claim) i.e.
    On screen JA504:
    What amount is showing on ESA Conts and what amount is showing on ESA IR (it is important to note if ESA IR is blank or if it says £0.00, or an amount above zero)

On screen JA523:

I do not receive any means tested benefits not entitled to any.
    One of you still might have an entitlement to IR, you should know the answers to my questions, if you don't know, you should phone ESA and find out.

Get discount on c tax for wheelchair use and pay full rent of accomodation. I was able to afford vehicle because of flat sale. Paid for vehicle outright did not go through motability.

If I save mobility portion of dla for next 5 - 10 years, (been disabled 17 years), will that mean saved money for next new wav after reaching £16000 threshold would start to be taxed by benefits office?
    It depends on you giving me accurate information for both of your ESA claims.

I also need to know what year each of you will reach State Pension Retirement age.
    Last edited by epitome; 12-09-2017 at 7:35 PM.
    • skcollobcat10
    • By skcollobcat10 12th Sep 17, 9:16 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 2,170 Thanks
    skcollobcat10
    How much is your ESA award per week?
    On screen JA504:

On screen JA523:

Exactly the same questions for your partners ESA claim
    How much is their ESA award per week?
    On screen JA504:

On screen JA523:

One of you still might have an entitlement to IR, you should know the answers to my questions, if you don't know, you should phone ESA and find out.

It depends on you giving me accurate information for both of your ESA claims.

I also need to know what year each of you will reach State Pension Retirement age.
    Originally posted by epitome
    Me contribution based esa support group - £109.65 per week
    I will reach state pension age at 66 in 2024
    I have been disabled 17 years

Husband contribution based esa support group - £109.65 per week
    Husband pension - £36.60 per week
    Dla high rate care - £332.40 per 4 weeks
    He will reach state pension age at 67 in 2034
    He has been disabled since 2011

I thought whether on contribution based esa support group or income based esa support group the maximum limits for savings was £16000 and tax was taken off from savings of £6000 upwards. I will give a phone tomorrow and see what they say.

Income based esa was never mentioned because I had paid adequate stamps and had been working full time since leaving school.
    Many thanks for your help.
    • epitome
    • By epitome 12th Sep 17, 9:53 PM
    • 2,982 Posts
    • 1,816 Thanks
    epitome
    On the basis that you both receive ESA Conts at 109.65 or 219.30 a fortnight

You saving up a nest egg over £6000 or over £16,000 to buy a van will not affect ESA Conts in any way.

But if either of you drop out of the Support Group, you may find yourselves moving onto ESA Income Related, and then your savings over £6000 and over 16,000 will affect your ESA IR claim.

If you do phone up, and ask for both your claims my questions....to find out if either of your claims have something under the ESA IR heading.... you should tell ESA how much your total savings are for both of you, especially if they go over £6000 or £16000. But this will not stop you from getting 219.30 a fortnight, that is guaranteed to continue as long as you both stay in Support Group.

If you were to drop out of the Support Group and you had to rely on means tested ESA, then you should change the ESA IR to Pension Credit at your State Pension age of 66, your partner could keep his ESA Conts running.

If your partner was the one to drop out of Support Group, then Your ESA will stop at age 66 anyway so you would be looking at Pension Credit anyway.
    Last edited by epitome; 12-09-2017 at 10:00 PM.
    • skcollobcat10
    • By skcollobcat10 12th Sep 17, 10:12 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 2,170 Thanks
    skcollobcat10
    On the basis that you both receive ESA Conts at 109.65 or 219.30 a fortnight

You saving up a nest egg over £6000 or over £16,000 to buy a van will not affect ESA Conts in any way.

But if either of you drop out of the Support Group, you may find yourselves moving onto ESA Income Related, and then your savings over £6000 and over 16,000 will affect your ESA IR claim.

If you do phone up, and ask for both your claims my questions....to find out if either of your claims have something under the ESA IR heading.... you should tell ESA how much your total savings are for both of you, especially if they go over £6000 or £16000. But this will not stop you from getting 219.30 a fortnight, that is guaranteed to continue as long as you both stay in Support Group.

If you were to drop out of the Support Group and you had to rely on means tested ESA, then you should change the ESA IR to Pension Credit at your State Pension age of 66, your partner could keep his ESA Conts running.

If your partner was the one to drop out of Support Group, then Your ESA will stop at age 66 anyway so you would be looking at Pension Credit anyway.
    My pensions on there own will stop me & husband getting means tested esa because our money would then be shared. This would probably make me housebound and unable to get a vehicle to maintain independence because I have the higher amount of pension I in effect would be penalised for husband not making sufficient pension contributions when he was working? Oh well, such is life. But thanks for all your help.
    • epitome
    • By epitome 12th Sep 17, 10:28 PM
    • 2,982 Posts
    • 1,816 Thanks
    epitome
    Do you recieve a pension now?
    Your Husband receive a pension now?

How much are they? Gross figures please.
    Does DWP know about them?
    Are they Health Insurance Payments (these can be disregarded on ESA)
    As you both receive 219.30 a fortnight, the DWP is not taking into account any large pension, there is an £85 disregard

If you phone tomorrow, make sure you ask if they know you have pension income...
    • skcollobcat10
    • By skcollobcat10 12th Sep 17, 11:08 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 2,170 Thanks
    skcollobcat10
    Do you recieve a pension now?
    Your Husband receive a pension now?

How much are they? Gross figures please.
    Does DWP know about them?
    Are they Health Insurance Payments (these can be disregarded on ESA)
    As you both receive 219.30 a fortnight, the DWP is not taking into account any large pension, there is an £85 disregard

If you phone tomorrow, make sure you ask if they know you have pension income...
    Dwp know all about the pensions, I have got mine since I was 42 years old, I have 3, and 1 full pension pays the tax plus part of second one. I pay the proper tax on them and also they know about husbands one although he doesn't pay tax on his. Both are ill health retirement civil service pensions and then 2 for me are private pensions.

The tax has always come off pensions never the esa.
    Last edited by skcollobcat10; 12-09-2017 at 11:47 PM.
    • epitome
    • By epitome 13th Sep 17, 8:44 PM
    • 2,982 Posts
    • 1,816 Thanks
    epitome
    So therefore your 2 private pensions total less than £85 per week Gross?
    and your ill health pensions are being disregarded completely?

Otherwise there is a problem with your claim.

If you don't know, you should find out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,070Posts Today

8,568Users online

Martin's Twitter