Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • deejaybee
    • By deejaybee 10th Sep 17, 7:40 PM
    • 390Posts
    • 90Thanks
    deejaybee
    0 WOW
    Passport query
    • 10th Sep 17, 7:40 PM
    0 WOW
    Passport query 10th Sep 17 at 7:40 PM
    Hi all,

We are thinking of taking a holiday next February half term week, which will most probably be to one of the Canary Islands.

But, just checked our teenage daughter's passport, and it expires during April.

Does it still have to be valid for 3 or 6 months after return date, or does that not matter if travelling to an EU area ?

Thanks
Page 1
    • London50
    • By London50 10th Sep 17, 8:08 PM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    London50
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:08 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:08 PM
    For the Canary Islands as long as the passport is within the date of the holiday the person is covered but do check with the airline that is used as some will request that there is a 3/6 months cover. {First Choice are quite happy with no extension and I believe that Easy Jet are the same but always a good idea to check}
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 10th Sep 17, 8:19 PM
    • 12,253 Posts
    • 10,179 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:19 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:19 PM
    You'll be fine, see https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain/entry-requirements

Check with the airline too but I can't believe any would have a problem.
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 10th Sep 17, 8:25 PM
    • 16,131 Posts
    • 59,944 Thanks
    mum2one
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:25 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:25 PM
    I've just renewed my daughters passport it took 7 days that was with check and send,

If you do have to renew / when u renew... it does give the option of nor needing the photo signing... unless the child can't be identified by the photo..

I was advised by the post office to go down the counter sign route as teenagers change from the angelic photo...
    x
    17 crafts in 2017 = 0/17
    Sisters legacy -50 charitable acts 43/50
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 10th Sep 17, 8:33 PM
    • 8,549 Posts
    • 52,920 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:33 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:33 PM
    Any unexpired months on your old passport get added to your new so if you renewed you wouldn't lose those months (unless it's over 9 months validity left on your old one).
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • deejaybee
    • By deejaybee 10th Sep 17, 8:45 PM
    • 390 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    deejaybee
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:45 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:45 PM
    Thanks for the replies, appreciated.

Looks like she will be fine then, but just to be absolute safe we will renew before then, as said she wont lose the months still left on old one, and i am sure she will be travelling more in next few years, with or without us oldies !!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,785Posts Today

5,733Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin