Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LoLo
    • By LoLo 10th Sep 17, 5:59 PM
    • 515Posts
    • 1,302Thanks
    LoLo
    Mortgage and separation
    • 10th Sep 17, 5:59 PM
    Mortgage and separation 10th Sep 17 at 5:59 PM
    Hi
    Looking for a bit of advice as I am not sure what I need to be doing or what I can do.
    My husband and I have been married for almost 12 years and bought a new house last year. This was to be our forever home, however earlier this year just a year after buying our forever home he decided he no longer loved me and moved out.

I have paid the mortgage and all of the bills since he left at the end of April however this comes out of a joint account but there is only me paying anything into this and has been since April.

The mortgage is in both names and we are tied into a 5 year fixed rate and so this has just over 3 and half years left.

He is now in a new relationship and things have become messy between us and we are not speaking anymore. I mention this as things were amicable before and we had verbally and through email agreed that I would eventually take his name of the mortgage and I would at this time give him half of the money we used as a deposit for the house as his payment. I did offer him half of what we had already paid over the year he was living here but he declined this.

I am worried now that he has a new relationship that he might push for more than this and so I want to take his name of the mortgage and get a divorce as soon as possible before he changes his mind about what we agreed and then decides he wants half of the house.

Now the issue I have is that I have a lot of debt (credit cards and loan) and so on paper I worry that I wouldn't get the mortgage alone even though I am paying everything and have not defaulted on anything.

The term of the mortgage is that the payments have to come out of a joint account and so I cannot change this.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and managed to get the mortgage on their own. I have no idea where I need to start from and what I need to do.
    Sealed pot member 049

Penny challenge - £4.59/£667.95

1 debt vs 100 days challenge 27 £500/£1500
Page 1
    • john1002
    • By john1002 10th Sep 17, 6:22 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    john1002
    • 10th Sep 17, 6:22 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 6:22 PM
    You need to see an independent broker who will be able to work through your options, depending on your income, debts etc you may find that you won't be currently able to do this. You need to speak to a solicitor or CAB initially over your wish to seek divorce.

Good luck it will be a slow process.

John
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,205Posts Today

6,369Users online

Martin's Twitter