Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • infernouk
    • By infernouk 10th Sep 17, 2:43 PM
    • 166Posts
    • 77Thanks
    infernouk
    Best mobile insurance route?
    • 10th Sep 17, 2:43 PM
    Best mobile insurance route? 10th Sep 17 at 2:43 PM
    Hey all,

In preparation for the new iPhone next week, im researching insurance options for the phone to make sure i dont scam myself!

How do you guys insure your phones? assuming the new iphone is around 1k, ill need coverage around that from a reputable provider, but i know 3rd part insurers can be a bit dodgey with paying out on consumer electronics so wanted to go into the process with my eyes open as to what I should be doing

Appreciate the guidance
Page 1
    • kyros
    • By kyros 10th Sep 17, 3:39 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kyros
    • 10th Sep 17, 3:39 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 3:39 PM
    I've been looking at insurance for my soon-to-arrive Galaxy Note 8 recently and have concluded that the best deal is to get a premium bank account. I'm probably going to upgrade my Natwest account to silver or switch to Nationwest. For roughly £12/mos they'll insure up to 4 family phones and come with other inclusive benefits, like travel insurance.
    • infernouk
    • By infernouk 10th Sep 17, 3:58 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    infernouk
    • 10th Sep 17, 3:58 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 3:58 PM
    I've been looking at insurance for my soon-to-arrive Galaxy Note 8 recently and have concluded that the best deal is to get a premium bank account. I'm probably going to upgrade my Natwest account to silver or switch to Nationwest. For roughly £12/mos they'll insure up to 4 family phones and come with other inclusive benefits, like travel insurance.
    Originally posted by kyros
    12 a month sounds like a lot as ive seen a fair few policies around the 60 annually mark rather than what would be some 140 via that method? I dont have value for more than 1 phone or travel etc
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 10th Sep 17, 4:52 PM
    • 26,034 Posts
    • 10,383 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 10th Sep 17, 4:52 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 4:52 PM
    Have a phone you can afford to replace?

Keep your current phone as backup, works for me.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • infernouk
    • By infernouk 10th Sep 17, 6:16 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    infernouk
    • 10th Sep 17, 6:16 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 6:16 PM
    Have a phone you can afford to replace?

Keep your current phone as backup, works for me.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    im an ios developer so need the latest phone, thats not what the thread was about...
    • takman
    • By takman 10th Sep 17, 6:52 PM
    • 2,821 Posts
    • 2,358 Thanks
    takman
    • 10th Sep 17, 6:52 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 6:52 PM
    When was the last time you broke/lost your phone and could have claimed on an insurance policy if you had one?.

Personally I have never lost a phone (or had one stolen) and I've never damaged a phone enough to actually stop it working or cause any issues in using it.

So insurance for me would be a waste of money and all the money I have saved over the years is enough to pay for any replacement phone if I ever did need too.

If your just worried about damaging the phone then consider getting a good case for it. This will also keep it in perfect condition so you can sell it on each year for more money considering you always need the latest phone.
    • rs65
    • By rs65 10th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    • 5,276 Posts
    • 2,504 Thanks
    rs65
    • 10th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    im an ios developer so need the latest phone, thats not what the thread was about...
    Originally posted by infernouk
    How do you insure your current phone?

I've never bothered with anything beyond home insurance for my phones.
    • infernouk
    • By infernouk 10th Sep 17, 7:15 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    infernouk
    • 10th Sep 17, 7:15 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 7:15 PM
    When was the last time you broke/lost your phone and could have claimed on an insurance policy if you had one?.

Personally I have never lost a phone (or had one stolen) and I've never damaged a phone enough to actually stop it working or cause any issues in using it.

So insurance for me would be a waste of money and all the money I have saved over the years is enough to pay for any replacement phone if I ever did need too.

If your just worried about damaging the phone then consider getting a good case for it. This will also keep it in perfect condition so you can sell it on each year for more money considering you always need the latest phone.
    Originally posted by takman
    ive never had an issue, but i want peace of mind for what is probably a small outlay. Its less about my damage and more about theft as i work in london
    • infernouk
    • By infernouk 10th Sep 17, 7:16 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    infernouk
    • 10th Sep 17, 7:16 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 7:16 PM
    How do you insure your current phone?

I've never bothered with anything beyond home insurance for my phones.
    Originally posted by rs65
    i dont insure it as i have apple care but dont want that this time, i just didnt think it was worth the increase in house insurance premium for loosing a phone?
    • rs65
    • By rs65 10th Sep 17, 7:27 PM
    • 5,276 Posts
    • 2,504 Thanks
    rs65
    i dont insure it as i have apple care but dont want that this time, i just didnt think it was worth the increase in house insurance premium for loosing a phone?
    I'd have thought apple care would be best for you as it's important for work. Mobile phone insurance isn't a favourite of mine - too many quirks in cover and bad reviews on claim responses.
    • infernouk
    • By infernouk 10th Sep 17, 7:29 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    infernouk
    I'd have thought apple care would be best for you as it's important for work. Mobile phone insurance isn't a favourite of mine - too many quirks in cover and bad reviews on claim responses.
    Originally posted by rs65
    yeah this was my thought hence making the post, just i dont think applecare covers theft just breakages
    • rs65
    • By rs65 10th Sep 17, 7:36 PM
    • 5,276 Posts
    • 2,504 Thanks
    rs65
    yeah this was my thought hence making the post, just i dont think applecare covers theft just breakages
    Sorry, I assumed it covered theft - but it does just talk about damage.
    • kyros
    • By kyros 13th Sep 17, 8:10 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kyros
    12 a month sounds like a lot as ive seen a fair few policies around the 60 annually mark rather than what would be some 140 via that method? I dont have value for more than 1 phone or travel etc
    I think that will vary a lot according to the value of the phone. The cheapest quote I've been able to get for the £869RRP Note 8 has been close to £10/mos so the extra benefits that come from paying £12 for a premium bank account seem worthwhile to me. I'd be surprised if you manage to get decent insurance for the new iPhone at £5/mos but please tell us if you do as I'll go for that too!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,443Posts Today

8,344Users online

Martin's Twitter