Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • decbel
    • By decbel 10th Sep 17, 2:35 PM
    • 1,494Posts
    • 1,616Thanks
    decbel
    Tax credit overpayment
    • 10th Sep 17, 2:35 PM
    Tax credit overpayment 10th Sep 17 at 2:35 PM
    Recently we received a letter from the tax credit compliance officer saying that we had been overpaid by nearly £600 and that we have 31 days to pay it or arrange instalments with threat of a possible fine or interest.

A couple of weeks later we received the renewal pack saying that we had been overpaid by £272.

The claim has been ended for a reason I don't wish to go into but we will be re-applying.

Now I'm obviously happy to accept the lower figure. On the phone to the tax credit call centre the agent stated that there was nothing on the system about a £600 bill.

We offered to pay the £272 but were told we can't do that until next April.

Its in front of me and not something you'll forget.

My worry is that I simply don't trust them-waiting game perhaps?

Any overpayment from previous years has been totally cleared.

Interested to know your thoughts. Thanks.
    Last edited by decbel; 10-09-2017 at 2:42 PM.
Page 1
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 10th Sep 17, 6:23 PM
    • 4,652 Posts
    • 2,940 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 10th Sep 17, 6:23 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 6:23 PM
    Tax credits dont add fines or interest to overpayments so sounds like either another debt from HMRC (e.g. income tax) or a scam.

If the £272 is for this year then it wouldn't be confirmed until the year actually ends as you may have changes to report.
    Last edited by Darksparkle; 10-09-2017 at 6:28 PM.
    • decbel
    • By decbel 11th Sep 17, 6:18 PM
    • 1,494 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    decbel
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:18 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:18 PM
    I have to say the letter from the compliance officer looks legit but the second officer in the call centre says nothing is on the system with the overpayment of nearly £600

The dates of the overpayment on the compliance letter and on the renewal letter are identical-the difference being one is asking for £600 with threats and the other is asking for £272.

We asked the second call centre operator for written confirmation of the contents of the conversation. He refused.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 11th Sep 17, 7:00 PM
    • 4,652 Posts
    • 2,940 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:00 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:00 PM
    I have to say the letter from the compliance officer looks legit but the second officer in the call centre says nothing is on the system with the overpayment of nearly £600

The dates of the overpayment on the compliance letter and on the renewal letter are identical-the difference being one is asking for £600 with threats and the other is asking for £272.

We asked the second call centre operator for written confirmation of the contents of the conversation. He refused.
    Originally posted by decbel
    I missed the part about it being compliance. Yes it is possible to have penalties and interest charged during a compliance investigation if found to have deliberately claimed something you weren't entitled to. Very rare for it to be charged though.

He would refuse because it's not his job to do so, once your call is complete he'd be on to the next. You can however make a subject access request for a copy of any calls made.
    • decbel
    • By decbel 11th Sep 17, 7:23 PM
    • 1,494 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    decbel
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:23 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:23 PM
    I missed the part about it being compliance. Yes it is possible to have penalties and interest charged during a compliance investigation if found to have deliberately claimed something you weren't entitled to. Very rare for it to be charged though.

He would refuse because it's not his job to do so, once your call is complete he'd be on to the next. You can however make a subject access request for a copy of any calls made.
    Originally posted by Darksparkle
    My main point is that the second call centre operator says there is nothing on he system with this higher figure.

Double dutch to me this.

The claim has been ended but the overpayment of £272 cannot be paid until next tax year.

The compliance officer ended the claim due to change of circumstances with an overpaynent of £539 and asking to pay by card or instalments and to start the process off within 31 days.

The two amounts vary by £267 between exactly the same dates.

How can that be?

What I'm concerned about is that the phone call we made to get the overpayment started won't be acknowledged as having happened.

The compliance officer in the letter was happy that the years claim had been finalised.

Thanks Darksparkle for you're help.
    Last edited by decbel; 11-09-2017 at 7:42 PM.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 11th Sep 17, 8:03 PM
    • 4,652 Posts
    • 2,940 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:03 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:03 PM
    To be honest without seeing your claim there's no real way for us to know. I'd speak to the compliance officer again personally.
    • decbel
    • By decbel 12th Sep 17, 6:55 PM
    • 1,494 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    decbel
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:55 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:55 PM
    To be honest without seeing your claim there's no real way for us to know. I'd speak to the compliance officer again personally.
    Thanks for the advice.

But I don't fancy my chances of finding the original compliance officer.
    • Icequeen99
    • By Icequeen99 13th Sep 17, 7:41 AM
    • 3,452 Posts
    • 2,349 Thanks
    Icequeen99
    • 13th Sep 17, 7:41 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 7:41 AM
    Recently we received a letter from the tax credit compliance officer saying that we had been overpaid by nearly £600 and that we have 31 days to pay it or arrange instalments with threat of a possible fine or interest.

A couple of weeks later we received the renewal pack saying that we had been overpaid by £272.

The claim has been ended for a reason I don't wish to go into but we will be re-applying.

Now I'm obviously happy to accept the lower figure. On the phone to the tax credit call centre the agent stated that there was nothing on the system about a £600 bill.

We offered to pay the £272 but were told we can't do that until next April.

Its in front of me and not something you'll forget.

My worry is that I simply don't trust them-waiting game perhaps?

Any overpayment from previous years has been totally cleared.

Interested to know your thoughts. Thanks.
    Something doesn't add up right - you need to speak to HMRC again.

The only reason you can't pay the £272 until next year is because it is an overpayment for 17/18 and we are still in that year so it hasn't been finalised.

The other amount of £600 - they can only demand it back in 31 days if it is for 16/17 - not if it is for 17/18 (unless you have moved to Universal Credit). Is it possible the £600 is for 16/17?

You can appeal the compliance decision if you disagree with it and you can also separately appeal the penalty amount.

IQ
    • decbel
    • By decbel 13th Sep 17, 1:11 PM
    • 1,494 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    decbel
    • 13th Sep 17, 1:11 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 1:11 PM
    Thanks for reply.

No, its not possible that the £600 was for 16/17

The dates for the £539 overpayment are identical to the £272.

Since receiving the £272 letter we rang tax credits. The operator says that there is nothing on the system about the £539.

One hand doesn't seem to know what the other is doing.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 13th Sep 17, 1:40 PM
    • 4,652 Posts
    • 2,940 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    Have you tried to call the compliance officer again? What are the dates?
    • decbel
    • By decbel 13th Sep 17, 2:06 PM
    • 1,494 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    decbel
    Have you tried to call the compliance officer again? What are the dates?
    No, not yet.

Dates are 06/04/2017-05/07/2017

That's for ctc/wtc for 1 child. But I don't actually receive any WTC because of income.

I certainly don't feel confident in speaking to the original compliance officer.
    • Icequeen99
    • By Icequeen99 13th Sep 17, 2:29 PM
    • 3,452 Posts
    • 2,349 Thanks
    Icequeen99
    No, not yet.

Dates are 06/04/2017-05/07/2017

That's for ctc/wtc for 1 child. But I don't actually receive any WTC because of income.

I certainly don't feel confident in speaking to the original compliance officer.
    So was the £539 mentioned in a letter or an award notice? If it was a letter - was it from the compliance officer and can you put the exact wording?

After the compliance investigation you should have received a final award notice for 16/17 and one for 17/18 - what does the 17/18 one show in terms of overpayment and have you received further award notices?

IQ
    • decbel
    • By decbel 13th Sep 17, 2:49 PM
    • 1,494 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    decbel
    So was the £539 mentioned in a letter or an award notice? If it was a letter - was it from the compliance officer and can you put the exact wording?

After the compliance investigation you should have received a final award notice for 16/17 and one for 17/18 - what does the 17/18 one show in terms of overpayment and have you received further award notices?

IQ
    Originally posted by Icequeen99
    I'm going to ring them again this afternoon and I'll report back.

The £539 figure came in a letter from the compliance officer. There is no overpayment for years 16/17. There was an historical overpayment but over the years it has been totally cleared.

About a week later we received a final award notice for 17/18 with an overpayment of £272 which cannot be paid until after April 18.

Forms have been issued for a freash claim.
    • decbel
    • By decbel 13th Sep 17, 3:57 PM
    • 1,494 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    decbel
    Rung them again. This is what happened.

After 25 minutes got through to the overpayment line. You cannot speak to the compliance officer direct and according to them there is no need to do so anyway.

For the second time I was told that the overpayment figure is £272 and that cannot be paid until after April 18.

I asked if there is any record of a compliance figure of £539. He replied that there is nothing on the system about that figure. That is the second time.

I've re-read the compliance letter and there is no mention of fines or interest if you don't pay or start instalments within the 30 days on the letter. It's got my partner in tears over it.

I'm going on the £272 figure from now on.

If I get any more letters on the £539 then its going to have to be a Member of Parliament job.
    • Icequeen99
    • By Icequeen99 13th Sep 17, 4:19 PM
    • 3,452 Posts
    • 2,349 Thanks
    Icequeen99
    So where did the threat of fines and penalties and 30 days come from if it wasn't in the compliance letter?

IQ
    • decbel
    • By decbel 13th Sep 17, 4:34 PM
    • 1,494 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    decbel
    So where did the threat of fines and penalties and 30 days come from if it wasn't in the compliance letter?

IQ
    Originally posted by Icequeen99
    It was suggested as being a possibility by a previous poster.

But I'm sure I've read it elsewhere as well.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 13th Sep 17, 6:32 PM
    • 4,652 Posts
    • 2,940 Thanks
    Darksparkle

• Tomsdottir
    • By Tomsdottir 14th Sep 17, 4:26 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Tomsdottir
    Hallo there. I was sorry to hear about what must have been an extremely distressing and traumatic experience for both of you. Sending such letters out is inexcusable. A number of possibilities spring to mind. For example, if someone who was previously claiming as a lone parent indicated that s/he was now part of a couple, that would bring the claim to an end. Any period of her/his award during which the couple were cohabiting would (technically) be an overpayment, but HMRC must deal with this by "offsetting" the overpayment against the tax credits which the couple would have been entitled to had they claimed as a couple from the beginning. In that situation, it's possible that a letter could be sent out to the original claimant indicating that there had been an overpayment of all of the tax credit from the beginning of the year. Tax credits are then recalculated from the beginning of the year on the basis of joint income. But you would know if this was what was going on. It's possible but unlikely that it's the £250 disregard of a drop/increase in income from year to year - but you don't mention that either. This can affect the amount of tax credit you are entitled to and lead to end of year overpayments rather than in-year overpayments, which is what this is. You might find it helpful to visit the litrg website and check out their tax credit webpages which are excellent.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,132Posts Today

4,612Users online

Martin's Twitter