Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 10th Sep 17, 1:24 PM
    • 5,955Posts
    • 28,031Thanks
    pineapple
    Idea for secondary door - crazy?
    • 10th Sep 17, 1:24 PM
    Idea for secondary door - crazy? 10th Sep 17 at 1:24 PM
    I love the original wooden door to my cottage but the frame and door are wonky. The lock itself is pretty historic and a locksmith has said it would be impossible to find a lock to properly do the job. Plus the whole affair is draughty and probably not mouseproof. . In addition, the cottage lacks light so in the summer, I often leave the door open to get the light and the view onto the garden. It has been suggested I replace the door with a nice new half glass UPVC one. Light, rodents, draughts, vermin sorted! The cottage isn't listed so no problem.
    Except I like my old wooden door
    So I wondered about a compromise. What about keeping the original but adding a secondary 'outer' French door? The walls are thick with space to fit another door frame. The new glass door - preferably with a wood frame - would open outwards. The original house door opens inwards. So in winter for example I could have the original one open but with the outer door closed to enjoy the the view and the light.
    Plus the house would be warmer and more secure (in all senses) at night.
    Tell me if you think this idea is barking. Don't hold back!
Page 1
    • missile
    • By missile 10th Sep 17, 1:54 PM
    • 8,990 Posts
    • 4,365 Thanks
    missile
    • 10th Sep 17, 1:54 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 1:54 PM
    A photo would be helpful
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 10th Sep 17, 2:16 PM
    • 2,838 Posts
    • 5,077 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 10th Sep 17, 2:16 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 2:16 PM
    I love the original wooden door to my cottage but the frame and door are wonky. The lock itself is pretty historic and a locksmith has said it would be impossible to find a lock to properly do the job. Plus the whole affair is draughty and probably not mouseproof.
    Except I like my old wooden door
    Originally posted by pineapple
    The advantage of a wooden door is they can be modified. You could retain much of the charm of the door, but get it upgraded to make it more weather and mouse-proof, and perhaps add a window into it. This wouldn't necessarily be a cheap, but would retain the character of the cottage.

Having two doors very close together can cause practical problems, although less so if the doors open away from each other. However, a front door (or one used by visitors) would normally be expected to open inwards so an outward opening 'outer' door may take some getting used to. If the door opens directly onto the street the local council may also take issue with it.

People like uPVC doors because they are perceived to be weather tight and low-maintenance. But on an old cottage it may look very out of place. A decent hardwood door should give you the same level of whether proofing with only minimal maintenance needed, so if you do go for a new door you ought to consider the cost and benefit of a wooden one rather than uPVC.

Another thing to remember is old cottages often move around a bit with the seasons. A loosely fitting wooden door will cope with a door frame that moves around a bit. But a precisely fitted wooden or uPVC door may react badly to movement. In particular, the deadbolt/security mechanisms of uPVC doors are very sensitive to movement in their alignment, and if it isn't 'just right' it can be very difficult to lock and unlock the door.

As missile says, some photos would help
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Apodemus
    • By Apodemus 10th Sep 17, 2:29 PM
    • 950 Posts
    • 767 Thanks
    Apodemus
    • 10th Sep 17, 2:29 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 2:29 PM
    Yep, Barking!

Even if it's not listed, you want to keep that door, but I'm not sure how!

You could do worse than posting the query on the Period Property UK discussion board, plenty of experienced people there who will have been through similar quandaries. Google "PPUK Forum" (I think it can take a couple of days for a first post to go live, but bear with it).
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 10th Sep 17, 2:38 PM
    • 2,838 Posts
    • 5,077 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 10th Sep 17, 2:38 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 2:38 PM
    Even if it's not listed, you want to keep that door, but I'm not sure how!
    Originally posted by Apodemus
    That's where some pictures will help

My guess is it will require some additional wood around the edges in order to make it weatherstripable, and something added to allow a modern lock to be fitted.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 11th Sep 17, 7:14 PM
    • 5,955 Posts
    • 28,031 Thanks
    pineapple
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:14 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:14 PM
    Thanks. An additional glazed door would open outwards onto my courtyard so the street is not an issue. It's a low wide 'planked' wooden door with 3 horizontal pieces across the rear. The inside wood is untouched but the outside has been painted with some sort of dark brown 'gunk' which needs stripping back. The gap varies - it's not some nice even space that you can stick a bit of draught excluder on. How do I post a pic?
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 12th Sep 17, 12:19 PM
    • 2,721 Posts
    • 1,159 Thanks
    Cisco001
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:19 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:19 PM
    How do I post a pic?
    Originally posted by pineapple
    upload picture on website like imgur, copy & paste the link.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

118Posts Today

2,076Users online

Martin's Twitter