Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Josephino
    • By Josephino 10th Sep 17, 1:07 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Josephino
    Landlord in debt, oil supply cut
    • 10th Sep 17, 1:07 PM
    Landlord in debt, oil supply cut 10th Sep 17 at 1:07 PM
    Advice needed please
    Started renting this house in May, landlord had to have a new boiler and oil tank installed to bring it up to standard. Came home Friday to no heating. Phoned the plumber who installed the boiler to ask for help, he told me he was still owed remainder of his bill for supply and installation and that they have been told by solicitor they can come and remove it. However, the problem with the heating - we found out this morning, after to-ing and fro-ing landlords sister, was that the company who installed the oil tank hadn't been paid, so had come round Friday and disconnected our oil supply 😱 They were paid yesterday, he's coming tmrw hopefully to reconnect us. Still leaves us with the reality that the boiler may be removed. What can we do as tenants to make the landlord sort this out. He knew our oil supply was going to be cut off but didn't tell us, until I contacted them. Bit shocked by it all really. Anyone got any advice, please?
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Sep 17, 1:15 PM
    • 41,106 Posts
    • 47,247 Thanks
    G_M
    • 10th Sep 17, 1:15 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 1:15 PM
    1) I strongly suspect disconnecting the oil was illegal. I'd have paid an oil engineer to re-connect it. It can surely have been no more than switching off a supply tap, or disconnecting a pipe.....

2) Write to your landlord. You need a proper formal record of events to date, and current problems, as well as future concerns. Put it in a letter. Send to the address provided (by law) for the LL

Remind the LL that the Landlord & Tenant Act 1985 s11 states he has a legal obligation to provide/maintain heating.

3) Start looking for a new property........
    Last edited by G_M; 10-09-2017 at 1:18 PM.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 10th Sep 17, 1:23 PM
    • 17,016 Posts
    • 11,194 Thanks
    molerat
    • 10th Sep 17, 1:23 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 1:23 PM
    I bet the solicitor, if they did tell the plumber that, did not do it in writing. Entering your property without your consent or the permission of the court puts them on very dodgy ground. The oil co are possibly guilty of criminal damage.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 10th Sep 17, 1:38 PM
    • 8,906 Posts
    • 11,757 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 10th Sep 17, 1:38 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 1:38 PM
    Write (yes, WRITE! - keep copies) to Landlord about all & any issues. (By his actions...) disconnecting heating is illegal.

Draft letter on this page...
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/how_to_report_repairs_to_a_private_landlord
    & get any further advice from Shelter, open today...see....
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help/helpline

But this landlord sounds very dodgy: Suggest you move!
    • Josephino
    • By Josephino 10th Sep 17, 1:40 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Josephino
    • 10th Sep 17, 1:40 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 1:40 PM
    Thanks, will write to landlord.
    The plumber who disconnected the supply didn't have to enter the property to disconnect but has to now, as there's probably air in the system.
    Hopefully, the Landlord will pay the boiler plumber so we won't have that hanging over us.
    Definitely will start looking for a new property!
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Sep 17, 2:01 PM
    • 41,106 Posts
    • 47,247 Thanks
    G_M
    • 10th Sep 17, 2:01 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 2:01 PM
    Thanks, will write to landlord.
    The plumber who disconnected the supply didn't have to enter the property to disconnect but has to now, as there's probably air in the system.
    Hopefully, the Landlord will pay the boiler plumber so we won't have that hanging over us.
    Definitely will start looking for a new property!
    Originally posted by Josephino
    'the property' does not mean the building. It means anything within the boundary. I bet he had to enter the garden......
    • Josephino
    • By Josephino 10th Sep 17, 2:36 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Josephino
    • 10th Sep 17, 2:36 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 2:36 PM
    Yep, came into the garden without permission!
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Sep 17, 2:40 PM
    • 13,458 Posts
    • 36,655 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 10th Sep 17, 2:40 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 2:40 PM
    1) I strongly suspect disconnecting the oil was illegal. I'd have paid an oil engineer to re-connect it. It can surely have been no more than switching off a supply tap, or disconnecting a pipe.....

2) Write to your landlord. You need a proper formal record of events to date, and current problems, as well as future concerns. Put it in a letter. Send to the address provided (by law) for the LL

Remind the LL that the Landlord & Tenant Act 1985 s11 states he has a legal obligation to provide/maintain heating.

3) Start looking for a new property........
    Originally posted by G_M
    Good advice and re point 3 - yep...I'd certainly be looking for a new property. Someone who is (mis)managing their money to that extent he is might well decide to sell the house you are renting at some point (or have it decided for him - by creditors).
    If there's "4 tendencies" type of people (Gretchen Rubin) = yep....Questioner type here
    - Meets an expectation only if they believe it's justified and resists anything arbitrary or ineffective
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 10th Sep 17, 3:13 PM
    • 8,906 Posts
    • 11,757 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 10th Sep 17, 3:13 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 3:13 PM
    Report trespassing & harassment to Police, get crime reference number
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,375Posts Today

7,807Users online

Martin's Twitter