Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • etcomehome
    • By etcomehome 10th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    etcomehome
    Banking - Erasmus year in Perugia
    • 10th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    Banking - Erasmus year in Perugia 10th Sep 17 at 12:41 PM
    Hi, My son is taking an Erasmus Year in Perugia, Italy and we are trying to find the best option for him to access money whilst living there. A company called Eduservices offer an "Italina Bank Account

There is altogether a one off charge of €30 for activation and a €1 monthly fee. Thereafter there are no charges for using the cash machines to withdraw money. You also have to sign a form giving Eduservice authorisation to represent you with the bank.

Does anyone know of any potential pitfalls with this? It otherwise seems a reasonable way to arrange short term banking for a student studying abroad.

I would appreciate any comments or views on this.
Page 1
    • fraserbooks
    • By fraserbooks 10th Sep 17, 2:21 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 5,433 Thanks
    fraserbooks
    • 10th Sep 17, 2:21 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 2:21 PM
    I don't know about Eduservices but when my son was studying in Spain he was able to use a normal Santandar account without problems. My daughter has recently returned from working near Monza and she used her normal bank account and cash card.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 10th Sep 17, 4:33 PM
    • 11,660 Posts
    • 7,900 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 10th Sep 17, 4:33 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 4:33 PM
    The simple and affordable solution is to open an account with Metrobank or (depending on where you live) Cumberland Building Society, or simply get a Halifax clarity credit card.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 10th Sep 17, 5:09 PM
    • 30,290 Posts
    • 19,160 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 10th Sep 17, 5:09 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 5:09 PM
    A Monzo card maybe or even a Revolut card, get a couple set up so he has a spare in case 1 doesn't work.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • etcomehome
    • By etcomehome 11th Sep 17, 1:56 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    etcomehome
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:56 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 1:56 PM
    Thanks. My son does have a Santander Account but we wanted to avoid charges for currency exchanges as he will be there for 9 months and withdrawing cash on a regular basis.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

888Posts Today

6,609Users online

Martin's Twitter