Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 10th Sep 17, 12:35 PM
    • 20,278Posts
    • 12,521Thanks
    dacouch
    Purchased fake goods on ebay
    • 10th Sep 17, 12:35 PM
    Purchased fake goods on ebay 10th Sep 17 at 12:35 PM
    I purchased a pair of "In very good condition used" Bose Headphones from Ebay.

On the second use of the headphones the tag in the protective case that keeps the cable tidy fell off. I found this odd for a Bose product and spent some time on line checking the headphones authicity.

The serial number on the box checks out with the Bose product registration. But when I look into it further there are a number of points that show they are clearly fake not least the "second" serial number hidden within the head phones which is not accepted on the Bose registration website and the fake bose hologram sticker.

They are however very good copies that would fool the vast majority of people.

I have raised a disupute through ebay and received an overly friendly email from the seller which seems to go into far to much detail about how they used the earphones and are certain they are real and making a lot of noise about how the serial number on the box is real.

The email aroused my supicions and I looked further into the sellers feedback and notice that although most of their feed back is hidden that there are still a few feedbacks that refer to how happy they are with the "genuine bose product"

I am not keen on returning the headphones to the seller for them to sell them onto some other unspecting buyer.

I spoke to ebay via live chat and was told I had to return the headphones to the seller even though they are fake. I pressed them on this and eventually they advised me that if I obtained written confirmation from a Bose shop that they were fake they would not need to be returned.

I popped into a Bose shop yesterday and explained the situation to them, they told me they were fake just by glancing at the box (The print quality is not the same as Bose). They advise me they cannot
    put it in writing and that if I want it in writing I would need to send the headphones off to their head office which will obviously cost me money.

Can anyone advise me on my next move?

Bose have an email support for checking conterfeits https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/be_aware_of_counterfeit_products.html would a confirmation email from this be sufficient for Ebay?

Just to add the seller has their location down as being near my home and I originally bid as I could have collected in person and avoided the delivery charge. When I enquired about this after bidding they told me they no longer live in that area and had failed to update their address... Luckily for me I paid via Paypal rather than cash but it also does not inspire confidence in the seller
Page 1
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 10th Sep 17, 1:41 PM
    • 24,186 Posts
    • 11,463 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 10th Sep 17, 1:41 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 1:41 PM
    Send them back to the buyer and get your money back.

Why would you want to do anything else - not your problem if they are subsequently sold on again.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th Sep 17, 1:54 PM
    • 59,478 Posts
    • 42,180 Thanks
    soolin
    • 10th Sep 17, 1:54 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 1:54 PM
    as above, you only have the two options, so open a SNAD case on ebay, get a pre paid label and return. Then leave a well structured negative feedback (careful with the terminology) to warn future buyers.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 10th Sep 17, 5:00 PM
    • 4,421 Posts
    • 3,800 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 10th Sep 17, 5:00 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 5:00 PM
    As above. You are over thinking it. Just return for a full refund through SNAD. It would be a lot of hassle to get written proof they are fake and far easier just to open a case and get a refund.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 10th Sep 17, 6:39 PM
    • 7,728 Posts
    • 5,514 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 10th Sep 17, 6:39 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 6:39 PM
    http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/fraud_protection/counterfeit_goods

If you think you have been sold counterfeit goods, or if you suspect somebody is selling fake goods, get advice from the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06. Your local Trading Standards office can also give you advice.

Report it to us online or call 0300 123 2040.
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 10th Sep 17, 7:28 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 10th Sep 17, 7:28 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 7:28 PM
    Why insist on turning a simple SNAD case into a saga? Just return them, post paid, for a full refund.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 10th Sep 17, 8:57 PM
    • 26,037 Posts
    • 10,383 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:57 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:57 PM
    Make the headphones unusable and send them back?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 11th Sep 17, 3:33 PM
    • 2,886 Posts
    • 3,903 Thanks
    George Michael
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:33 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:33 PM
    Make the headphones unusable and send them back?
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    And risk the seller contacting ebay and telling them that the headphones were returned damaged which could result in the OP losing their money.
    Last edited by George Michael; 11-09-2017 at 3:36 PM.
    • sndavid
    • By sndavid 12th Sep 17, 11:42 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sndavid
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:42 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:42 AM
    Most of the eBay products are cheaply bought from AliExpress - a Chines shopping website... the quality score is really very bad, no doubt about it.
    Honesty is the best policy!
    • Brywalker
    • By Brywalker 12th Sep 17, 12:01 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    Brywalker
    Most of the eBay products are cheaply bought from AliExpress - a Chines shopping website... the quality score is really very bad, no doubt about it.
    Originally posted by sndavid
    What a truly ridiculous sweeping statement.
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 12th Sep 17, 12:16 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    Brynsam
    ...and your evidence for this is....?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 12th Sep 17, 4:02 PM
    • 11,205 Posts
    • 7,495 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    What a truly ridiculous sweeping statement.
    Originally posted by Brywalker
    Post building?
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 12th Sep 17, 8:45 PM
    • 26,037 Posts
    • 10,383 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Odd that i have bought LOTS of stuff from China and only the cheap stuff is cheap.

I have bought grey items where the same factory are selling them out the back door minus labels and serial numbers.
    Preventing this is difficult. The genuine companies website will now ask for a serial number before allowing access to the updated software.
    Quality is exactly the same as the UK sourced item, but only £40 for a product thats over £100 normally.

Branded items for a fraction of their prices that are normally only sold in certain shops are most likely fake.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Brywalker
    • By Brywalker 13th Sep 17, 10:32 AM
    • 146 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    Brywalker
    Post building?
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    What is that supposed to mean?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 13th Sep 17, 10:53 AM
    • 59,478 Posts
    • 42,180 Thanks
    soolin
    There is an advantage to registering posts on the forum when you fist join, the posts are usually a little odd and tend not to be thought through, just post building in order to come back later and leave links to spam.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Brywalker
    • By Brywalker 13th Sep 17, 12:06 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    Brywalker
    There is an advantage to registering posts on the forum when you fist join, the posts are usually a little odd and tend not to be thought through, just post building in order to come back later and leave links to spam.
    Originally posted by soolin
    Aaah. Excuse my ignorance.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 13th Sep 17, 12:07 PM
    • 11,205 Posts
    • 7,495 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    As per the post above.

New posters need X amount of posts before they can link to things. It's a modus operandi of some that they post odd comments which mean nothing to build up their count, and then spam the living daylights out of the forum.
    • Tallymanjohn
    • By Tallymanjohn 13th Sep 17, 7:46 PM
    • 1,051 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    Tallymanjohn
    I seem to remember there was an item on fake headphones on BBC's 'Fake Britain' last week (Sept 6th), so it's not a rare occurrence.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 18th Sep 17, 5:36 PM
    • 20,278 Posts
    • 12,521 Thanks
    dacouch
    Thanks for your assistance.

Ebay have closed the account and want the items returned.

What concerns me is the address ebay have given for the label is just around the corner from my house and is serviced rental rooms for Students. I have a friend who works in a similar place and gave the address he has given to confirm he lives their and they have confirmed that they moved out a couple of years ago and the room is currently empty awaiting a new tenant for the new university term.

What will happen when I send the package by tracked postage and the student halls refuse to accept it. Will I still get my refund?
    • 19lottie82
    • By 19lottie82 18th Sep 17, 11:14 PM
    • 5,726 Posts
    • 8,663 Thanks
    19lottie82
    Yes, you will. As long as there is an attempt at delivery then you will get your refund, it doesn't need to be actually delivered.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,575Posts Today

9,799Users online

Martin's Twitter