Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ghyll15
    • By ghyll15 10th Sep 17, 11:10 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ghyll15
    Stainless steel household goods
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:10 AM
    Stainless steel household goods 10th Sep 17 at 11:10 AM
    I have about 5 "stainless steel" pedal bins in my house, some even have labels such as Rostfrei or Edelstahl on them (which means stainless). ALL are going rusty. I have been looking for true stainless steel replacements. There are many websites, and sellers on Ebay, all offering so called stainless steel bins which I am pretty sure are not, because of their price. I have in the past had to return a "stainless steel" item to Robert Dyas because it started to rust. It is easy to tell if it is stainless steel with a magnet, as normal stainless steel is non-magnetic. All my current bins fail this test.

Question: If I buy something by mail order that has been sold as "stainless", can I return it as not fit for purpose, or falsely described, if I test it with a magnet?

What can also happen, is that the main product may be truly stainless, but the screws, linkages and other parts are not, so they rust anyway which effectively means the product, as a whole, is not stainless and therefore not fit for purpose if it is used somewhere like a bathroom.
Page 1
    • bris
    • By bris 10th Sep 17, 11:25 AM
    • 7,030 Posts
    • 6,028 Thanks
    bris
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:25 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:25 AM
    Stainless steel will eventually rust. Every day use, cleaning etc eventually take their toll on stainless steel and the begin to wear, leading to the inevitable.

Stainless steel is not corrosion proof and never will be, but it is corrosion resistant, their is a difference.
    Last edited by bris; 10-09-2017 at 11:30 AM.
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 10th Sep 17, 11:32 AM
    • 3,298 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:32 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:32 AM
    Buy plastic bins may be your better option if your not going to look after stainless steel ones properly.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 10th Sep 17, 12:15 PM
    • 3,504 Posts
    • 2,928 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    • 10th Sep 17, 12:15 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 12:15 PM
    Unfortunately it's not as simple as you imply - there's many grades of stainless, and some are still magnetic.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

190Posts Today

1,511Users online

Martin's Twitter