Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stujimwill
    • By stujimwill 10th Sep 17, 11:03 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    stujimwill
    Engine management light
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:03 AM
    Engine management light 10th Sep 17 at 11:03 AM
    Hi all
    I purchased a 2004 micra for my daughter 2 months ago, it's since developed a fault where there was a total loss of power, ie no response from the accelerator. Car doesn't cut out but when stopped she can turn off, leave for 2-3 minutes and start again. She said no engine management light came on.
    Anyway I've checked the dashboard lights and the engine management light and the air bag light do not illuminate at all when the key is turned.
    My question is will the car fail an MOT if both these lights don't illuminate at all when turning ignition on.
    Also I've since had it to a garage to check if it has been tapered with and low and behold there is some sort of black silicone or soft rubber material stuffed behind to stop the lights from coming on.
    The car has 1 months warranty left on it and I was wondering where I stand from a consumer rights perspective. I don't want to keep the car as I think it's not fit for purpose as my daughter will be driving up and down the country going to and from uni and travelling in a car on the motorway which can lose all power in an instant is a recipe for disaster.
    Any help greatly appreciated

THANKS
Page 1
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 10th Sep 17, 11:07 AM
    • 3,299 Posts
    • 5,585 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:07 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:07 AM
    What's the garage that you bought it from say?

Plus it's a 13 year old car, what maintenance do you (or your daughter) intend to do, or have done?
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • stujimwill
    • By stujimwill 10th Sep 17, 11:26 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    stujimwill
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:26 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:26 AM
    I'm waiting for the garage to get back to me as he's apparently away for the weekend.
    If everything was OK with the car, which it's not, I would have it fully serviced and had new plugs and leads fitted.
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 10th Sep 17, 11:31 AM
    • 3,299 Posts
    • 5,585 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:31 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:31 AM
    I'm waiting for the garage to get back to me as he's apparently away for the weekend.
    If everything was OK with the car, which it's not, I would have it fully serviced and had new plugs and leads fitted.
    Originally posted by stujimwill
    But you've had it two months already?
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • stujimwill
    • By stujimwill 10th Sep 17, 11:43 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    stujimwill
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:43 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:43 AM
    Yes I've had it two months,the fault didn't arise straight away, and this complaint has been on going for about three weeks. I've phoned garage quite a few times only for them to say the owner is either " on his day off" or " out with a client" or "away on business", and never had a returned phone call from them.
    • loskie
    • By loskie 10th Sep 17, 11:52 AM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 695 Thanks
    loskie
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:52 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:52 AM
    sounds like the garage has been dishonest and blanked the lights out. If that it the case you should reject it or seek legal advice for doing so.
    • stujimwill
    • By stujimwill 10th Sep 17, 12:03 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    stujimwill
    • 10th Sep 17, 12:03 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 12:03 PM
    That's what I want to happen. Reject the car and get the majority of my money back. If they won't oblige then I think it's a phone call to trading standards. But like I said earlier I was unsure about where i stood legally, hopefully could get some advice on here before going down that road.
    • EcoR1
    • By EcoR1 10th Sep 17, 12:53 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    EcoR1
    • 10th Sep 17, 12:53 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 12:53 PM
    Engine management light is nothing to do with the MOT, airbag light will only fail if it's on, it doesn't have to come on initially with the ignition. The ABS light needs to illuminate and go off though.
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 10th Sep 17, 3:04 PM
    • 2,461 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    • 10th Sep 17, 3:04 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 3:04 PM
    Have you plugged a code reader in to find out what faults are stored in the ECU?
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 10th Sep 17, 5:08 PM
    • 26,047 Posts
    • 10,383 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    So a service may cure all your faults but you wont service it because its got faults?

Its a 13 year old car. Either spend some money on it or buy a brand new car instead. Old cars need love to keep them happy and that involves fixing things and not letting the fault get worse first.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • macman
    • By macman 10th Sep 17, 5:49 PM
    • 41,351 Posts
    • 17,001 Thanks
    macman
    How are you intending to prove that the dealer rigged the EML? It could have been done by the previous owner(s).
    Checking both the EML and airbag light illuminate at switch on is surely something you checked on the test drive?
    What is the mileage and service history?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • stujimwill
    • By stujimwill 10th Sep 17, 6:07 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    stujimwill
    How are you intending to prove that the dealer rigged the EML? It could have been done by the previous owner(s).
    Checking both the EML and airbag light illuminate at switch on is surely something you checked on the test drive?
    What is the mileage and service history?
    Originally posted by macman
    Daughter took it for test drive, only passed test so she not expected to look for them things, bit nieve on my part as overlooked it, but surely when the dealer got it mot'd he should have noticed that both lights never illuminated on ignition and investigated as to why. As for checking fault codes there were no EML on to highlight on fault with the ECU. I've since been told of the government website where you can check past mot's and mileage and it has been tampered with because in 2007 mot mileage was 30,100 and mot in 2008 mileage was 1,646.
    • stujimwill
    • By stujimwill 10th Sep 17, 6:19 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    stujimwill
    So a service may cure all your faults but you wont service it because its got faults?

Its a 13 year old car. Either spend some money on it or buy a brand new car instead. Old cars need love to keep them happy and that involves fixing things and not letting the fault get worse first.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Yes it's a 13 year old car and I realise it will have a few problems associated with age, but for the car to lose all power when driving within 5 weeks of buying it well to me it's not fit for purpose and a considerable danger to the driver if on motorway and an AGV behind and the car loses all power. As for buying a new car, well some people aren't blessed with that kind of free cash flow.
    Plus on talking to a few garages the problem is not something a service would cure.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 10th Sep 17, 6:31 PM
    • 1,443 Posts
    • 970 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Daughter took it for test drive, only passed test so she not expected to look for them things, bit nieve on my part as overlooked it, but surely when the dealer got it mot'd he should have noticed that both lights never illuminated on ignition and investigated as to why. As for checking fault codes there were no EML on to highlight on fault with the ECU. I've since been told of the government website where you can check past mot's and mileage and it has been tampered with because in 2007 mot mileage was 30,100 and mot in 2008 mileage was 1,646.
    Originally posted by stujimwill
    I couldn't be expected to know everything to look for when I had just passed my test, so I didn't go by myself. You can't expect companies to go easy on a new driver, even if you might like them to.

Were you there with your daughter or did she go round by herself? I'm carp on mechanical things, so I always take someone with me when test driving cars.

As for the checks, they are basic checks you should always do from your mobile while looking around a dealer's site or from home if looking on the website if they have made the VRN available.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,977Posts Today

7,748Users online

Martin's Twitter