Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • first78
    • By first78 10th Sep 17, 7:02 AM
    • 808Posts
    • 393Thanks
    first78
    Virgin media renewal
    • 10th Sep 17, 7:02 AM
    Virgin media renewal 10th Sep 17 at 7:02 AM
    So I've got 21 days left of my current VM contract for tv, phone and broadband. Currently paying £56 per month for L tv package, phone and broadband but am desperate to cut this.

Has anyone had much luck in haggling with VM? I'm a total novice when it comes to haggling and would welcome advice. Thanks.
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 10th Sep 17, 7:51 AM
    • 29,965 Posts
    • 18,974 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 10th Sep 17, 7:51 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 7:51 AM
    See if theres a package thats the same (or better ) from a competitor thats cheaper and tell the VM customer rep (customer retention I think is the dept you want) of this and see if they reduce your price.

Maybe give this a try too, find an alternative from another provider and inform VM you want to leave and see if VM will contact you to offer you something better.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 10th Sep 17, 11:37 AM
    • 2,322 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:37 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:37 AM
    you need to cut the TV down to small or remove completely. (they wouldn't want you to get rid of it completely).

Just ring up 150, select I'm thinking of leaving, for another reason.

say you have received a letter that the prices are going up
    you can't afford it anymore

talktalk can do fibre for £25 and I can't afford £56

If you don't want Large (expensive) TV say you don't watch tv much.

they should throw some figures at you, so you need to have an idea of what you are prepaired to pay before hand.

i.e with and without large TV

Note most deals will lock you in for 12 months again, so be sure you are happy with the deal. Request a paper copy/email of the deal, and if not recievced ring up back in a week
    • silkcutblue
    • By silkcutblue 11th Sep 17, 9:04 AM
    • 618 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    silkcutblue
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:04 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:04 AM
    They took me through 45 mins of sign up only to tell me my renew fee would be £76 a month for XL TV, broadband and phone. This was a 100% rise on what I'd been paying the previous year. Wasn't happy as I don't watch that much TV so, for me, it's great to have XL but I wouldn't miss it.

Got transferred. Asked to cancel due to price. They did £38 a month. Happy with that. To be fair to them everyone I spoke to was very nice.

I wouldn't say "threaten to cancel" as a bluff. Do a little research and set a price in your head that you are happy with and if they can't match it then leave.

Let us all know how you get on?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

1,082Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin