Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • theoallen
    • By theoallen 10th Sep 17, 6:55 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    theoallen
    Need some reassurance buying this house!
    • 10th Sep 17, 6:55 AM
    Need some reassurance buying this house! 10th Sep 17 at 6:55 AM
    Hi,

So my partner and I recently had an offer accepted on a house. We loved it so much, it in the perfect location, and it's a good size. When we were looking around it, we did notice that there was work that needed to be done, but after some online research, we know that we will be able to afford the necessary work, doing a little bit each month.

My concern is, that recently my stepfather went and looked round the house. He is a builder, and seemed to pick the house apart completely, telling us that it would need far more work than we originally thought, and that he really didn't like it! However he is quite a negative person and it doesn't surprise me that he is so against it!

But basically, I just need some reassurance! We got it at a good deal at £325,000 and really love it, but now have so much doubt in my mind, I don't know what to do!!
Page 1
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 10th Sep 17, 7:08 AM
    • 3,159 Posts
    • 5,450 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 10th Sep 17, 7:08 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 7:08 AM
    Get a full survey done, yes it costs money but if one builder (however negative he is) has found lots of things wrong it could be because there are genuinely lots of things wrong. You could be buying a money pit or you could be buying a great house that just needs some cosmetic work done.
    • bluedrop
    • By bluedrop 10th Sep 17, 7:09 AM
    • 633 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    bluedrop
    • 10th Sep 17, 7:09 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 7:09 AM
    Do you have a rightmove link or something?

Did your stepfather give you a list of things that must be done? (In his opinion)

Although you said he is a negative person, he could be right in this case because he is a builder.
    There is more to life than increasing its speed.
    • warby68
    • By warby68 10th Sep 17, 7:23 AM
    • 818 Posts
    • 8,817 Thanks
    warby68
    • 10th Sep 17, 7:23 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 7:23 AM
    You need a full survey

If the choice is a simple one of who is likely to be right between smitten first time buyer and mature experienced builder with said FTB's best interests at heart than I think I know which I'd pick, sorry.

You need to be methodical rather than emotional if still interested. Obtain a list and reasonable costings for what stepdad thinks is essential. Can you still afford that? If he hasn't put you off you need a full survey and take it from there.

Don't forget if you get something for a good price there's usually a reason.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th Sep 17, 7:59 AM
    • 23,114 Posts
    • 88,447 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 10th Sep 17, 7:59 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 7:59 AM
    I just need some reassurance!
    Originally posted by theoallen
    No, you need facts, which are noticeably lacking in your post.

Of course, emotion does feature in house buying, but the fact that you have come here and asked for ressurance without providing a scrap of contextual info suggests that your approach is ruled by your heart rather than your head. None of us here can give you comfort with the information supplied..

As above, you need realistic costings for what seems to be wrong. Work out which matters are urgent and which can be phased over time. If it looks do-able, then get a survey.

There is no context for the £325k, but it's quite possible that another house in better condition and costing £340k might offer better value.

However, if it's any consolation, my father, who was a builder, warned me strongly against buying my second house in 1987, saying it was badly constructed. He was right, but took no account of other factors, like location, plot size and extension space, which made the property an excellent long-term buy.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • tightasagnats
    • By tightasagnats 10th Sep 17, 10:38 AM
    • 338 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    tightasagnats
    • 10th Sep 17, 10:38 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 10:38 AM
    He might just be a miserable b*gg*er who's raining on your parade. However, maybe he's also worried that you'll be roping him in to fix it for free/low cost, so he might prefer you get somewhere else!

Good advice on here though, good luck!
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 10th Sep 17, 10:45 AM
    • 212 Posts
    • 1,384 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    • 10th Sep 17, 10:45 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 10:45 AM
    Pay to get a full building survey (not a homebuyers report) and an independent electrical report.

My in-laws spotted extra things that me and my DH had missed, but they're quite positive people and went with "that won't cost much to do", "that will actually be quite easy to fix", "that will dry out if you do x, y and z" etc. Our survey didn't spot much else on top of that, but it was good to get it done as it confirmed our suspicions.

A independent survey will be done with no agenda or passion, just the facts. Then you can make a decision.
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Make £3 a Day in September 2017 - £23.92/£90 (2017 total - £164.27) | Womble #03 - £4.32 | Overpayments in 2017 - £749.69
    • aneary
    • By aneary 10th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    aneary
    • 10th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    My mum picked apart a flat I nearly brought (I pulled out due to other reasons). So when we sat down afterwards we priced up the work (my dad is a carpenter) it wasn't actually that much cost wise and some things she picked out didn't need doing straight away (hairline cracks in kitchen floor tiles).

I suggest a full survey, sit down and work out essential works, and non essential and then the costs.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Sep 17, 1:07 PM
    • 41,077 Posts
    • 47,192 Thanks
    G_M
    • 10th Sep 17, 1:07 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 1:07 PM
    God grief! What a post! Meaningless. How can anyone 'reassure' you without any information????

Give us a list of the issues your stepfather has identied. Not some vague statement like "need far more work than we originally thought". What exactly does he think needs doing? If you give that, we might be able to comment sensibly. Though seeing the property for ourselves might still be necessary.

Or a proper survey.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 10th Sep 17, 1:34 PM
    • 2,104 Posts
    • 3,041 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Ignore your stepfather's advice - which you don't appear to value an iota - and go ahead and buy the house.

You are (presumably) an adult and shouldn't need 'reassurance' from strangers on the internet who you've not even given the most basic of information to.

Just don't have the cheek to ask your stepfather to fix all the problems you will inevitably find once your 'love' of a house you don't yet own has subsided.

Thus you will likely learn a lesson which will help you when it comes to buying your next property. The advice of people who know about buying and maintaining property is like gold dust... which is why you pay so much for a decent survey.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,834Posts Today

6,562Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin