Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jenna64
    • By Jenna64 9th Sep 17, 11:33 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Jenna64
    Advice buying a used car
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:33 PM
    Advice buying a used car 9th Sep 17 at 11:33 PM
    I am wondering if anyone can help

I lost my husband 2 years ago. I have no close family to advise me and relied on my husband for everything.

I want a car but don't know whether to buy a cheap, used car, or whether to spend a little more. A neighbour said he knows a car going for £650, but he's not knowledgeable about cars. I don't know what sort of amount to spend (the less the better! Or is it? I just want one to get me to the shops)

I'm wondering where others would pitch it. Should I spend a few hundred, or 2 - 3000?

What on earth do I check for if I go and buy a used car? I have no one who can help so it'll be a risk to take but are there a few things I can easily consider? Thank you
Page 2
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 11th Sep 17, 12:19 AM
    • 3,864 Posts
    • 3,244 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    To be honest, for £500-£600, you're in banger territory. By which I mean, buy a car with a year's MOT, and expect to scrap it after a year. Unless you're handy with a toolkit, in which case you may be able to keep it going for a few years at a reasonable cost.

2 - 3 K - you could get quite a nice little motor for that. As per previous advice, buy on condition. Forget mileage. Has it been serviced regularly ? Can you see receipts for work ? Check the MOT history online : https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history. Can you see receipts to show any failures or advisories were put right ?

To put it into context, my son bought a 13-year old Yaris ( yeah, with the optional rear brakes ) a year ago, for £900. OK, the bodywork is a bit tatty, I've been teaching him how to sort that out, helping him get it tarted up a bit. But mechanically it's sound as a pound, and he loves it to bits. Some very reasonable cars can be had on a limited budget - but take your time, don't be rushed into anything, and be prepared to walk away if you feel uncomfortable - at that price-point, there are hundreds of similar cars available.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • redbulljase
    • By redbulljase 13th Sep 17, 9:43 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    redbulljase
    Hi, Please help struggling to find info I have been offered a company car but I will have to sacrifice £350 a month includes vat lease of my present salary (£40,000 p/a) will I still have to pay benefit in kind tax, C02 40 emissions (electric Golf 1.4 gte advance) value £33000 just struggling to find the benefit to say leasing on a private lease confused help.
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 13th Sep 17, 10:23 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    wgl2014
    Hi, Please help struggling to find info I have been offered a company car but I will have to sacrifice £350 a month includes vat lease of my present salary (£40,000 p/a) will I still have to pay benefit in kind tax, C02 40 emissions (electric Golf 1.4 gte advance) value £33000 just struggling to find the benefit to say leasing on a private lease confused help.
    Originally posted by redbulljase
    Holy thread hijack Batman!

That has nothing to do with this topic, start your own thread.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 13th Sep 17, 10:34 PM
    • 4,408 Posts
    • 3,776 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Holy thread hijack Batman!

That has nothing to do with this topic, start your own thread.
    Originally posted by wgl2014
    Bloody difficult to work out what the topic is, based on the selection of random characters arranged vaguely into a post, to be fair.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 13th Sep 17, 10:38 PM
    • 3,864 Posts
    • 3,244 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    Originally posted by redbulljase

Please help, struggling to understand your post. I think you're saying you pay £350 a month for a brand new car ? Over what period ?

£350 a month over 2 years, for the sake of argument, is £8400 - save that money for 2 years, you've got enough to buy yourself a very decent, nearly new second-hand car ( certainly more than I've ever paid for a car ). At the end of 2 years, you own it outright, you can then sell it, or keep it, and no worries over excess mileage, or minor car-park-dings and scratches etc. ........ I'm not sure what you're really asking ?
    Last edited by Ebe Scrooge; 13-09-2017 at 10:43 PM.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 14th Sep 17, 1:43 PM
    • 1,571 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    I think 'offered a company car' is significant, but honestly redbulljase, open a new thread and re-write your post so that it is understandable and it'll get some useful responses.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 14th Sep 17, 4:04 PM
    • 1,372 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    I think 'offered a company car' is significant, but honestly redbulljase, open a new thread and re-write your post so that it is understandable and it'll get some useful responses.
    Originally posted by silverwhistle
    Indeed on the latter part.

He isn't really being given a company car, as that would only impact his tax. This is effectively a lease through his wages, I believe.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 14th Sep 17, 7:25 PM
    • 10,006 Posts
    • 6,403 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Too much red bull.
    • Habib2342
    • By Habib2342 14th Sep 17, 10:24 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Habib2342
    I would also like tips on buying a used car as I'm looking to change mine over the next couple of years.

this is what I think you should look for ;

1. low mileage
    2. full service history if possible
    3. recently manufactured -within budget
    4. MOT
    5. as a previous post said, avoid cars with 60k+ on the clock but check to see whether the diphase pulley/timing belt has been changed. I had to do this on my Renault megane and they said potentially I could get another 5-6 years out it.
    6. low insurance group and road tax banding.
    7. highest mpg as possible.

anything else i'm missing -please let me know.

thanks,
    habib.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 14th Sep 17, 11:40 PM
    • 4,408 Posts
    • 3,776 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    I would also like tips on buying a used car as I'm looking to change mine over the next couple of years.

this is what I think you should look for ;

1. low mileage
    2. full service history if possible
    3. recently manufactured -within budget
    4. MOT
    5. as a previous post said, avoid cars with 60k+ on the clock but check to see whether the diphase pulley/timing belt has been changed. I had to do this on my Renault megane and they said potentially I could get another 5-6 years out it.
    6. low insurance group and road tax banding.
    7. highest mpg as possible.

anything else i'm missing -please let me know.

thanks,
    habib.
    Originally posted by Habib2342
    I'd suggest something slow, with cruise control to help you stick to those pesky speed limits.
    • Habib2342
    • By Habib2342 15th Sep 17, 10:29 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Habib2342
    Why is everyone on this forum jumping to the conclusion that I am or have been a perpetual speed offender ever since I started my motoring career ? I'll have you know this was the first time I've been caught and yes I am paying the price and am now acutely conscious of my motoring usage.

I very much doubt anyone out there who drives a car will not at some stage veer close to or breaking a speed limit somewhere in the country at some poin in their lives...rushing to get to work, going to hospital because your wife is going into labour etc....

I will not be the first and will not be the last....
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 15th Sep 17, 10:55 PM
    • 4,408 Posts
    • 3,776 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Why is everyone on this forum jumping to the conclusion that I am or have been a perpetual speed offender ever since I started my motoring career ? I'll have you know this was the first time I've been caught and yes I am paying the price and am now acutely conscious of my motoring usage.

I very much doubt anyone out there who drives a car will not at some stage veer close to or breaking a speed limit somewhere in the country at some poin in their lives...rushing to get to work, going to hospital because your wife is going into labour etc....

So what exactly WAS your excuse for being 2/3 over the 30MPH limit? Wife in labour, was she?
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 16th Sep 17, 6:54 AM
    • 10,006 Posts
    • 6,403 Thanks
    bigadaj

If you keep biting then people will keep prodding.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

578Posts Today

6,303Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: Do you agree with @TfL's decision not to reissue Uber's licence on grounds including falling to report serous crimes.

• RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Follow Martin