PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Noisy Neighbours/

Options

Comments

• Saga
    Saga Posts: 302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    ---
    100% debt-free!
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    rtho782 wrote: »
    If you're that sensitive perhaps don't buy a terraced house, whatever you do, don't move in then demand other people change their lives to accommodate you!

Not a very nice reply.

One can only afford what one can afford. I had to have a terrace house for many years before moving to a detached latterly.

Think about it - no-one ever complains the neighbours are too quiet. But an awful lot of people complain about noisy neighbours.

I have a theory that those saying "put up and shut up" are the noisy neighbours that are being complained about:cool:
  • tightasagnats
    Options
    In a Victorian terrace with side returns, you may get more noise at the back in your bedroom from the bathrooms/kitchens that face into the side return. So a bedroom at the front may work well for you if the street is relatively quiet. Earplugs are great at night. Double glazing is also important, so go for a place that is double glazed or do the windows you can afford in the rooms that you're affected in the most.
  • artyclarty
    Options
    I have lived in a few terraces growing up, as a student and in the real world. I will be honest, as a student living in a street full of students, I never heard a thing from either side! In my first terrace house with my partner, the only thing I heard was the neighbours yappy lap dog in the back yard.

Around here, terraces cost nearly double what the council semis within the same few streets do. Our ex council house is twice the size of the terrace the next street over and has off street parking for 3 cars!
    The compromise was that is was in an ex council area and that next door was let. Was always quiet on viewings as the tenant was on the opposite shift to myself and partner. Turns out the normal was parties from midnight till 6am Friday and Saturday whilst the kid was at grandma's, enough to make the floors shake and I had to be up for work at 3am!!

Next door has now been purchased and have nice quiet neighbours, and although you can still hear a lot of things, they foster dogs so there is always going to be barking! The insulation is non-existant!!

The point is, it entirely depends on the construction of the house and what you are willing to put up with. There is not much you can do after moving in, so if it bothers you enough to be worried, it is just about checking the best you can in viewings, although as we found out this is far from foolproof!

Good Luck!!
  • Norman_Castle
    Options
    I have a theory that those saying "put up and shut up" are the noisy neighbours that are being complained about:cool:
    Exactly. Try convincing a noisy neighbour they are noisy. I've been in the same flat for decades and have had a variety of neighbours. The biggest factor in the amount of noise between properties is down to the people living there.
  • dinkylink
    Options
    I would agree with the comment that if you're going to go terraced, it's probably best to go modern.

My brother lived in a middle new build town house for a couple of years and had no problems with noise.

Friends lived in a middle Edwardian terraced house and when I went round you could practically hear their conversations next door as if they were in the same room.

I also remember a colleague at work who spoke about her friend's experience a couple of years ago. Apparently he had bought a mid terraced house, 1970s private build I think and he was also finding it hard to adjust to the levels of 'normal' noise coming from his neighbours.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 10 September 2017 at 12:31PM
    Options
    In a Victorian terrace with side returns, you may get more noise at the back in your bedroom from the bathrooms/kitchens that face into the side return. So a bedroom at the front may work well for you if the street is relatively quiet. Earplugs are great at night. Double glazing is also important, so go for a place that is double glazed or do the windows you can afford in the rooms that you're affected in the most.

Depends on the style of the house. In the Victorian terrace I used to have the back bedroom of the two was quieter. It was the one facing out the back onto my "courtyard garden" (ie partly my side return). The house to the right of me (whose blimmin' great extension wall formed the right side wall of my courtyard garden) didnt have any windows in it (their bathroom and kitchen windows were on their other side wall and out of sight of my house).

I had to give up sleeping in my main bedroom (at front of house):mad: and that was down to a tendency of the neighbours in the house the other side having their tv too loud/shouting to each other in lieu of talking to each other and the biggest crunch point was their alarm clock. My alarm clock was set to go off for work at a normal sort of time and I switched it off as soon as it had "done its job" and woken me up. Their alarm clock went off in the early hours (courtesy of them working antisocial hours) and they just let it "repeat" (even after I said it was disturbing me):eek:. So I ended up using both bedrooms - back bedroom to literally sleep in and my own bedroom to keep my clothes in and as a study.:mad:. I wasnt happy about it - as I'd decided to use my back bedroom as my study and my own bedroom to serve all "bedroom" purposes (ie sleep in it) and I wasnt able to because of them. Nearly forgot - and I could also hear their "recreational activities" in the bedroom sometimes...ahem...as they didnt "converse quietly" in that respect either and, of course, it got me worried my own privacy in that respect wasnt safe.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had to give up sleeping in my main bedroom (at front of house):mad: and that was down to a tendency of the neighbours in the house the other side having their tv too loud/shouting to each other in lieu of talking to each other and the biggest crunch point was their alarm clock. My alarm clock was set to go off for work at a normal sort of time and I switched it off as soon as it had "done its job" and woken me up. Their alarm clock went off in the early hours (courtesy of them working antisocial hours) and they just let it "repeat" (even after I said it was disturbing me):eek:. So I ended up using both bedrooms - back bedroom to literally sleep in and my own bedroom to keep my clothes in and as a study.:mad:. I wasnt happy about it - as I'd decided to use my back bedroom as my study and my own bedroom to serve all "bedroom" purposes (ie sleep in it) and I wasnt able to because of them. Nearly forgot - and I could also hear their "recreational activities" in the bedroom sometimes...ahem...as they didnt "converse quietly" in that respect either and, of course, it got me worried my own privacy in that respect wasnt safe.

Blimey, heaven forbid people can't even work now without some moaning about it.

OP: Ask your neighbours what time do they get up for work (if they work).
  • Exactly. Try convincing a noisy neighbour they are noisy. I've been in the same flat for decades and have had a variety of neighbours. The biggest factor in the amount of noise between properties is down to the people living there.

Couldnt agree more:T

All well and good if you're noisy/selfish yourself - but if you're not then it's hardly fair.

Having now spent about 45 years living on my own and with literally only two noise complaints in that time (one about using a hair-dryer at about 8 am of a weekday morning and the other by the same person about my radio being left on very low volume whilst I was at work - to "keep my pet company") then I think it's fair for me to expect quiet neighbours in return.
  • cjdavies wrote: »
    Blimey, heaven forbid people can't even work now without some moaning about it.

OP: Ask your neighbours what time do they get up for work (if they work).

They were getting up for work in the night (about 5a.m. as I recall) and letting their alarm repeat (despite requests not to).

So I was woken up every time they woke themselves up for work.

My own hours were normal ones (ie within 8am - 6pm weekdays range) and my own alarm went off at 6 a.m. and was instantly silenced. I was considerate and working normal hours. They were inconsiderate and working antisocial hours. Bit of a difference...:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure