Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Livanto
    • By Livanto 9th Sep 17, 9:41 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Livanto
    House buying advice.
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:41 PM
    House buying advice. 9th Sep 17 at 9:41 PM
    Researching the legal pack of a property, the following issues have been identified:

1. There is no Drainage & Water Search or Property Information Form.
    2. The Environmental Search shows a flood risk and moderate ground instability.
    3. The property is only 35m from a substation.
    4. There are no building regulation approvals shown for any works which have been carried out.
    5. Certificate of Lawfulness for an existing use – use of property as 6 self-contained flats. However, the property has only one small unit, so what does that really mean?
    Can you tell me what each really means and its real impact/implications?
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 9th Sep 17, 10:13 PM
    • 41,049 Posts
    • 47,154 Thanks
    G_M
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:13 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:13 PM
    Is this Scotland?

Or an auction?

1)you don't know where (if at all) the water supply comes from, or goes to. Whether (if at all) it's mains or private supply, mains or private sewerage, or whether either passes over 3rd party land requiring consent.

You also don't know the answers to any of the questions on the PIF

2) there is a possibility of flooding. And a possibility of ground movement which might affect the property stability

3) There is an electrical sub station nearby

4) if any works have been done, you don't know to what standard, or whether the local authority might enforce remedial works or removal

5) the certificate is inappropriate

If you are DIYing the conveyancing, your questions suggest you should stop and instruct a solicitor to answer questions like these.
    Last edited by G_M; 09-09-2017 at 10:22 PM.
    • Livanto
    • By Livanto 9th Sep 17, 10:16 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Livanto
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:16 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:16 PM
    Auction...................
    • G_M
    • By G_M 9th Sep 17, 10:26 PM
    • 41,049 Posts
    • 47,154 Thanks
    G_M
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:26 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:26 PM
    Then see my advice above.

Plus make sure you understand how (and why) auctions work.
    • Livanto
    • By Livanto 9th Sep 17, 11:58 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Livanto
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:58 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:58 PM
    Then see my advice above.

Plus make sure you understand how (and why) auctions work.
    Originally posted by G_M
    Thanks! You mean that auctions are for problematic properties that don't sell normally?

Also, do you know the real impact of flood risk, ground instability, substation proximity? I mean, are they serious or half of London properties have one or more of those?

I am mostly worried if I have to pay fines or any other expenses on top, is there a way to find out?
    Last edited by Livanto; 10-09-2017 at 12:02 AM.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 10th Sep 17, 2:35 AM
    • 111 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 10th Sep 17, 2:35 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 2:35 AM
    You are buying at your own risk based on the information or lack of information supplied. Ask if further information is available.

Use a surveyor and solicitor to help you understand the risks you are taking, then only bid with these risks at the back of your mind.

Presumably other bidders will be in the same position as you and will also be factoring in the same risks to their bid.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 10th Sep 17, 8:03 AM
    • 3,763 Posts
    • 2,351 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:03 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:03 AM
    If your apprehensive about the risks, don't buy this one, infact don't buy at auction?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 10th Sep 17, 8:40 AM
    • 5,772 Posts
    • 5,528 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:40 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:40 AM
    OP, it sounds like you've never bought a property before anywhere - if so then I don't think auctions are a good place to start.
    • Livanto
    • By Livanto 11th Sep 17, 10:05 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Livanto
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:05 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:05 PM
    Thanks! You mean that auctions are for problematic properties that don't sell normally?

Also, do you know the real impact of flood risk, ground instability, substation proximity? I mean, are they serious or half of London properties have one or more of those?

I am mostly worried if I have to pay fines or any other expenses on top, is there a way to find out?
    Originally posted by Livanto
    Anyone??????????
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 12th Sep 17, 6:39 AM
    • 3,763 Posts
    • 2,351 Thanks
    csgohan4
    Anyone??????????

Sorry but we don't give people what they want to hear, either get professional advice and proceed or buy not through auction.

Auction is fret with danger if you are not careful
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 12th Sep 17, 9:07 AM
    • 29,750 Posts
    • 17,791 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Link to the property.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 12th Sep 17, 9:20 AM
    • 1,983 Posts
    • 2,894 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    Anyone??????????
    It means you are not suited to either this property, or this method of purchase. You don't know what you're doing - walk away before you lose money/more money.
    • Livanto
    • By Livanto 12th Sep 17, 7:18 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Livanto
    It means you are not suited to either this property, or this method of purchase. You don't know what you're doing - walk away before you lose money/more money.
    Originally posted by ReadingTim
    But someone will probably bid and buy this property, why would I be a loser if I do that and the other person a smart guy?
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 12th Sep 17, 7:42 PM
    • 2,720 Posts
    • 3,718 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    But someone will probably bid and buy this property, why would I be a loser if I do that and the other person a smart guy?
    Because the other guy will have bought property at auction and will know what all the risks are an how much to pay. You don't.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 12th Sep 17, 8:15 PM
    • 5,772 Posts
    • 5,528 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Nobody said the other guy was smart. He might be an idiot too.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 12th Sep 17, 9:59 PM
    • 3,763 Posts
    • 2,351 Thanks
    csgohan4
    buying a property for the sake of it and not doing your own research.... sigh
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

166Posts Today

1,292Users online

Martin's Twitter