Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nobile
    • By nobile 9th Sep 17, 9:11 PM
    • 442Posts
    • 44Thanks
    nobile
    Air brick / Vent for sealed chimney question
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:11 PM
    Air brick / Vent for sealed chimney question 9th Sep 17 at 9:11 PM
    Hi. In one of my ground floor rooms, the chimney has been totally sealed/bricked up. We have had a few damp patches on one side of the chimney wall.

After painting we noticed that the paint become dry/flaky...that was a few years ago

I had the chimney capped so no rain etc falling through now but the damp issue stated above still there....contained & not getting worse

There is NO vent or air brick in the chimney - I know there should be one!

My question is as a first response, would drilling a few holes in the chimney wall & covering with a vent suffice OR does there need to be an air brick fitted?

Or none of the above?

Many thanks
Page 1
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th Sep 17, 12:49 AM
    • 23,105 Posts
    • 88,436 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 10th Sep 17, 12:49 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 12:49 AM
    There is nothing magical about an air brick; it just ensures there's enough air entering relative to the area it takes up. If you make a good, almost brick -sized hole and cover with a vent that will do much the same job.

But what's behind the chimney wall at that point? Is it a neighbour's house or the great outdoors? If outdoors, look for causes of damp in things like raised garden levels, or a leaky downpipe, drain, or soak away.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Apodemus
    • By Apodemus 10th Sep 17, 9:14 AM
    • 831 Posts
    • 619 Thanks
    Apodemus
    • 10th Sep 17, 9:14 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 9:14 AM
    ...and even an adequately vented but unused chimney can be damp - the residue of all the coal and wood burned in the fire is hygroscopic and absorbs moisture from the atmosphere, which can lead to damp patches in the adjacent wall.
    • nobile
    • By nobile 10th Sep 17, 2:30 PM
    • 442 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    nobile
    • 10th Sep 17, 2:30 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 2:30 PM
    There is nothing magical about an air brick; it just ensures there's enough air entering relative to the area it takes up. If you make a good, almost brick -sized hole and cover with a vent that will do much the same job.

But what's behind the chimney wall at that point? Is it a neighbour's house or the great outdoors? If outdoors, look for causes of damp in things like raised garden levels, or a leaky downpipe, drain, or soak away.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Its a terraced house with neighbour on other side. They have no damp patches etc.
    • illusionek
    • By illusionek 10th Sep 17, 5:02 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    illusionek
    • 10th Sep 17, 5:02 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 5:02 PM
    When I bought my current house I was advised by my surveyor not to makes any vents inside as it may cause damp.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th Sep 17, 5:44 PM
    • 23,105 Posts
    • 88,436 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 10th Sep 17, 5:44 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 5:44 PM
    When I bought my current house I was advised by my surveyor not to makes any vents inside as it may cause damp.
    Originally posted by illusionek
    I can't see how ventilating a chimney could cause dampness, unless the air in the house itself was laden with moisture for some reason.

Warm, damp air condensing on cold walls? Seems odd.

People sometimes have problems when they stop using the chimneys on older houses.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,969Posts Today

8,570Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin