Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JamesFuller
    • By JamesFuller 9th Sep 17, 9:06 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 14Thanks
    JamesFuller
    Cars not displaying front number plates? Anyone notice this trend in UK?
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:06 PM
    Cars not displaying front number plates? Anyone notice this trend in UK? 9th Sep 17 at 9:06 PM
    Has anyone noticed a trend of cars not displaying front number plates in the UK?

Increasingly I am noticing these 'Fast and Furious' type of cars not displaying number plates at the front, or they are laminated slightly differently where you can't clearly see the text.

Is there a way of reporting these cars? I am thinking with the ability of taking photos on phones and recording their number plates, is it a good thing to report it to DVLA or an appropriate organisation?
Page 1
    • docmatt
    • By docmatt 9th Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    docmatt
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    How is this bothering you? They'll soon get pulled by the police. Your time is better spent doing other stuff like gardening, painting the house or getting laid.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 9th Sep 17, 9:33 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:33 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:33 PM
    Has anyone noticed a trend of cars not displaying front number plates in the UK?

Increasingly I am noticing these 'Fast and Furious' type of cars not displaying number plates at the front, or they are laminated slightly differently where you can't clearly see the text.

Is there a way of reporting these cars? I am thinking with the ability of taking photos on phones and recording their number plates, is it a good thing to report it to DVLA or an appropriate organisation?
    Originally posted by JamesFuller
    101 or online, I'm sure they'll appreciate it.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 9th Sep 17, 11:08 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 910 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:08 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:08 PM
    How is this bothering you? They'll soon get pulled by the police. Your time is better spent doing other stuff like gardening, painting the house or getting laid.
    Originally posted by docmatt
    Sure if it is just stopping them from getting speeding fines, but what if it is enabling them to get away with bilking? We end up paying for what they got for free.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 9th Sep 17, 11:37 PM
    • 12,716 Posts
    • 16,902 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:37 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:37 PM
    Bilking?

Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 9th Sep 17, 11:41 PM
    • 7,291 Posts
    • 7,446 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:41 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:41 PM
    Bilking?

Originally posted by Gloomendoom

biking with no "L" plates
    • MH1927
    • By MH1927 9th Sep 17, 11:49 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    MH1927
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:49 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:49 PM
    Bilking is also known as Pump and Run
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 9th Sep 17, 11:59 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 910 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:59 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:59 PM
    Leaving without paying. Most petrol stations will record the number plates of cars filling up on CCTV, often from the front.
    • Crabman
    • By Crabman 10th Sep 17, 1:51 AM
    • 9,571 Posts
    • 6,960 Thanks
    Crabman
    • 10th Sep 17, 1:51 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 1:51 AM
    Sure if it is just stopping them from getting speeding fines, but what if it is enabling them to get away with bilking? We end up paying for what they got for free.
    Originally posted by Mercdriver
    Perhaps fuel stations should rethink their business model of dispensing fuel without a guarantee of payment, instead of expecting the police to be their debt collectors.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly & I can move & merge posts there. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 10th Sep 17, 4:18 AM
    • 7,291 Posts
    • 7,446 Thanks
    pappa golf
    there loses are probably less than the wage bills involved in hiring several staff , plus the sales in the "shop"

4 gallons and a shot of redx please , and font forget my stamps!
    • Roland Sausage
    • By Roland Sausage 10th Sep 17, 7:52 AM
    • 501 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    Roland Sausage
    I’ve noticed recently that there seems to be a trend for the boy racer types to display their front number plate on the dashboard.
    • facade
    • By facade 10th Sep 17, 8:11 AM
    • 2,837 Posts
    • 1,438 Thanks
    facade
    How is this bothering you? They'll soon get pulled by the police.
    Originally posted by docmatt
    oh the naivete!

It bothers me because when one of them runs into me and drives off, neither I, my dashcam, nor any witnesses will have a clue what the registration is.

And what are these "Police" that you refer to?
    There are several Audis round here with black tape over their numberplates ( and all their windows by the look of it,) and no end of cars with their front numberplate horizontal on top of the dashboard, no-one seems overly bothered....
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • ilikewatch
    • By ilikewatch 10th Sep 17, 8:15 AM
    • 1,018 Posts
    • 1,213 Thanks
    ilikewatch
    Last year I was sat outside a cafe in Newcastle and saw 4 cars with no front number plate in just over an hour. All were fairly new BMW's and all were modified with bodykits and/or fancy paint.
    • loskie
    • By loskie 10th Sep 17, 8:38 AM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 661 Thanks
    loskie
    It's nothing to do with BILKING it's just the chavvy, boy racers who think it looks cool. Dunno why.
    Police don't care at all.
    There was a "Streetkulture Cruze" in our town where these chavs amassed in the town car park. The police were present. There was even a picture of them (police) in local paper next to a slammed civic with no front no plate praising the whole event.
    This Civic is lime green so distinctive, I notice it driving regularly with no front plate as are several Golfs.
    IMHO should be enforced
    • tho
    • By tho 10th Sep 17, 9:30 AM
    • 172 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    tho
    Most petrol stations now have anpr, if there isn't a number plate the pump won't authorise.
    • owen_money
    • By owen_money 10th Sep 17, 4:38 PM
    • 390 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    owen_money
    And the price of butter has gone up, again!!!!
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 10th Sep 17, 5:13 PM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 1,434 Thanks
    Car 54
    It bothers me because when one of them runs into me and drives off, neither I, my dashcam, nor any witnesses will have a clue what the registration is.
    Originally posted by facade
    Maybe not on dashcam, we're talking about front plates, and surely witnesses normally note the REAR of the vehicle as it escapes ....
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 10th Sep 17, 6:29 PM
    • 5,653 Posts
    • 5,110 Thanks
    Herzlos
    Leaving without paying. Most petrol stations will record the number plates of cars filling up on CCTV, often from the front.
    Originally posted by Mercdriver
    And they don't activate the pump if the front plate isn't readable.
    • GothicStirling
    • By GothicStirling 10th Sep 17, 9:36 PM
    • 940 Posts
    • 699 Thanks
    GothicStirling
    Last year I was sat outside a cafe in Newcastle and saw 4 cars with no front number plate in just over an hour. All were fairly new BMW's and all were modified with bodykits and/or fancy paint.
    Originally posted by ilikewatch
    Whereabouts where you sitting? Apart from Central Station, Newcastle Station is for Buses only. No other cafes I know of have sitting area that opens onto the streets.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 10th Sep 17, 9:49 PM
    • 4,408 Posts
    • 3,776 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Whereabouts where you sitting? Apart from Central Station, Newcastle Station is for Buses only. No other cafes I know of have sitting area that opens onto the streets.
    Originally posted by GothicStirling
    Where did that post mention stations? There's loads of cafes around Newcastle upon Tyne, it's bigger than the station.

Of course, the post could have referred to one of the other Newcastles...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,823Posts Today

7,179Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin