Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 9th Sep 17, 8:17 PM
    • 16,455Posts
    • 107,807Thanks
    gallygirl
    Can't use excel, word or print - laptop crashing
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:17 PM
    Can't use excel, word or print - laptop crashing 9th Sep 17 at 8:17 PM
    Laptop has been running slow for a while. Antivirus (free from AVG) and defrag etc. up to date. I tried to run diagnostic tools from Dell but doesn't seem to have helped and now whenever I try to use excel, word or print anything (including direct from a website) it just gets stuck. I can only open excel & word by going through My Docs, the normal commands don't work. I can enter data and save it, but then have to restart excel to get out of the file (which has saved). Can't choose to select print area etc, only basic typing seems to work.

I've noticed that on the Uninstall Programmes file a lot are showing as having been installed a few days ago, when I used the Dell tool, so assume they have updated them.

On the Optimise Drive screen it is showing that scans have never been run - however they are run regularly.

Any suggestions please?

TIA.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
Page 1
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 9th Sep 17, 9:29 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:29 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:29 PM
    Service Tag? (written on the underside)
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 9th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    • 16,455 Posts
    • 107,807 Thanks
    gallygirl
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    Can't read it - worn off
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 9th Sep 17, 10:00 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:00 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:00 PM
    Can't read it - worn off
    Originally posted by gallygirl
    http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1
    Detect product
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 9th Sep 17, 10:16 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:16 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:16 PM
    Guessing Dell Inspiron 1750

Similar issue here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19365186

Might be an issue with RAM.
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 9th Sep 17, 11:09 PM
    • 16,455 Posts
    • 107,807 Thanks
    gallygirl
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:09 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:09 PM
    Thanks, will explore in the morning.
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 10th Sep 17, 9:46 AM
    • 16,455 Posts
    • 107,807 Thanks
    gallygirl
    • 10th Sep 17, 9:46 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 9:46 AM
    Should have said, I was leaving it till the morning because I was running the optimiser programme (which said it had never been run, but was run a few days ago and is set to run weekly). No issues with that.

I read the link (and to be honest didn't understand all of it ) but that doesn't really sound like the problem I have. Internet browsing ok, opening pdf's ok but I then can't print anything. I can open excel fairly quickly if I go through My Docs to find the file, but opening the programme from the task bar doesn't work. Opening via My Docs I can enter data and save easily but if I try to change from the Home tab to say Page Layout I get the Not Responding message and it stays that way till I force it to close down. Probably worth pointing out that my son installed Excel & Word and it has always said Product Activation Failed - but it's been like that for 3 years with no issue and it's affecting non-Office applications.

I've tried to run the Dell System Detect - currently been running for 15 minutes........ It's a Dell Inspiron 15 with 4gb memory, 122 used and 343 unused. EDIT: Service Tag is 7nr2tz1 - logged into my Dell account.

Any ideas or is it off to the workshop with it?
    Save
    Last edited by gallygirl; 10-09-2017 at 9:58 AM.
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 10th Sep 17, 10:47 AM
    • 2,199 Posts
    • 1,117 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 10th Sep 17, 10:47 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 10:47 AM
    Is it possible that your shortcut (task bar) has been corrupted or deleted or your programme location (Word, Excel) has been moved. If you right click on the shortcut, can you see "Properties" or "Show Target" or "Open File Location"?
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 10th Sep 17, 11:15 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:15 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:15 AM
    Should have said, I was leaving it till the morning because I was running the optimiser programme (which said it had never been run, but was run a few days ago and is set to run weekly). No issues with that.

I read the link (and to be honest didn't understand all of it ) but that doesn't really sound like the problem I have. Internet browsing ok, opening pdf's ok but I then can't print anything. I can open excel fairly quickly if I go through My Docs to find the file, but opening the programme from the task bar doesn't work. Opening via My Docs I can enter data and save easily but if I try to change from the Home tab to say Page Layout I get the Not Responding message and it stays that way till I force it to close down. Probably worth pointing out that my son installed Excel & Word and it has always said Product Activation Failed - but it's been like that for 3 years with no issue and it's affecting non-Office applications.

I've tried to run the Dell System Detect - currently been running for 15 minutes........ It's a Dell Inspiron 15 with 4gb memory, 122 used and 343 unused. EDIT: Service Tag is 7nr2tz1 - logged into my Dell account.

Any ideas or is it off to the workshop with it?
    Save
    I thought it was an earlier machine of yours that was involved.

Rather than spending money to no avail, I would take the opportunity to fit a solid state drive(very easy for you to do by yourself) and to clean install the operating system to it, Then you can move your data over from the old drive.

Performance should improve considerably for the £50 outlay.
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 10th Sep 17, 11:46 AM
    • 16,455 Posts
    • 107,807 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Is it possible that your shortcut (task bar) has been corrupted or deleted or your programme location (Word, Excel) has been moved. If you right click on the shortcut, can you see "Properties" or "Show Target" or "Open File Location"?
    Originally posted by Le_Kirk
    No, none of those, just Unpin from taskbar
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 10th Sep 17, 11:52 AM
    • 16,455 Posts
    • 107,807 Thanks
    gallygirl
    I thought it was an earlier machine of yours that was involved.

Rather than spending money to no avail, I would take the opportunity to fit a solid state drive(very easy for you to do by yourself) and to clean install the operating system to it, Then you can move your data over from the old drive.

Performance should improve considerably for the £50 outlay.
    Originally posted by WAYT
    No it is only 3 years old. I killed one a few years ago another way .

I have installed about 15 driver updates (which were supposed to update automatically, but anyway...........). Fingers crossed it is ok for now and will last till I get a friend to look at it for me - wouldn't want to install anything more complicated than driver updates to be honest
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 10th Sep 17, 11:59 AM
    • 3,258 Posts
    • 1,481 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Probably worth pointing out that my son installed Excel & Word and it has always said Product Activation Failed
    I have installed about 15 driver updates
    A few issues here, very difficult to fix via a text-based forum! Is printing ok now? The 15 driver updates I assume were Windows updates? If you type Word in Cortana/search and left-mouse-clisk the result, does that work?
    Last edited by grumpycrab; 10-09-2017 at 12:03 PM.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 10th Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    • 2,199 Posts
    • 1,117 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    Can you find the .exe file? It is usually in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15 or similar.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 11th Sep 17, 9:20 AM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 1,990 Thanks
    AndyPix
    This normally happens if you have a corrupt print driver.
    This is because when you first open an office application, it negotiates with the current print driver to determine its WYSIWYG perameters.

To confirm this, temporarily change your default printer to a different one that it is now
    (Enev "send to one note", or fax - anything)

Then try office again.

You may also want to run malwarebytes from here

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/

Let us know how you get on
    Running with scissors since 1978
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

379Posts Today

2,899Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin