Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ianclarke77
    • By ianclarke77 9th Sep 17, 7:46 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ianclarke77
    House share utility bills. Help needed!!!!
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:46 PM
    House share utility bills. Help needed!!!! 9th Sep 17 at 7:46 PM
    Hoping someone out there can help. I've lived in a house share for the past 5 years. The house at full capacity is 6. Over the years as u would expect , tenants come and go. Over the last 18 months my landlord hasn't replaced any out going tenants so for the last year I have been the only one living there. After sending in up to date electricity readings and paying a direct debit of £30 a month I have been handed a eon bill of £1200!!! As I now have no one to split the bill with this really is a lot of money to pay out. Can anyone tell me if I am liable for the whole bill or does the landlord have a duty to help out??????
Page 1
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 9th Sep 17, 7:49 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:49 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:49 PM
    If you are the only person using the supply then normally you would be the only person responsible for the bills. Providing your tenancy agreement doesn't state otherwise.

probably need to provide more info such as

* What does your tenancy / licence say about bills
    * Did you supply readings regularly and more specifically when the final tenant left
    * How long has your account been in arrears?
    * Why are you only just being given a bill - this would suggest the account hasn't been kept on top of?
    * Whose name is the account in - yours?
    * Are the initial readings accurate or estimated
    Last edited by HampshireH; 09-09-2017 at 7:51 PM.
    • By 45002 9th Sep 17, 8:18 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 322 Thanks
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:18 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:18 PM
    Hoping someone out there can help. I've lived in a house share for the past 5 years. The house at full capacity is 6. Over the years as u would expect , tenants come and go. Over the last 18 months my landlord hasn't replaced any out going tenants so for the last year I have been the only one living there. After sending in up to date electricity readings and paying a direct debit of £30 a month I have been handed a eon bill of £1200!!! As I now have no one to split the bill with this really is a lot of money to pay out. Can anyone tell me if I am liable for the whole bill or does the landlord have a duty to help out??????
    by ianclarke77

Sounds like your LL may be planning to sell up ?

dunno about electric
    MSE is supposed to be about saving people money, Yet when you place a url in your signature to a mobile phone provider, one of the cheapest and best run in the UK.

What does MSE do delete the url to the mobile phone provider, they don't want you to save money !
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 9th Sep 17, 9:00 PM
    • 4,770 Posts
    • 4,146 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:00 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:00 PM
    since the vast majority of a utility bill relates to usage, not standing charge, then there are only 2 possibilities which you can work out for yourself:

1. the bill is based on an estimated meter reading stemming from prior periods when there was more than 1 person using the electricity? Contact the supplier and substitute an actual reading.

2. the bill is based on a actual reading which may, or may not, include a period when there was more than one of you using the electricity and may or may not now be playing catch up because earlier readings were estimates?

Either way the LL is not liable for the usage of his tenants.
    Last edited by 00ec25; 10-09-2017 at 1:09 PM.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 9th Sep 17, 10:40 PM
    • 41,070 Posts
    • 47,188 Thanks
    G_M
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:40 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:40 PM
    Presumably (please confirm) each tenant had a separate tenancy agreement - so originally 6 separate contracts and now just one (5 contracts having expired).

Wwat do those contracts say about utility bills? Exact words please.

My guess is that the tenants have to share the bills equally. Correct?
    My 2nd guess is that tenants have not been settling their share when they leave, so the bills have been mountimg. Correct?
    My 3rd guess is that the bills are in your name (you pay a DD) making you liable.
    My 4th guess is that you are b*gg*r*d as you have not collected contributions from other tenants.

But I may be wrong.
    • tightasagnats
    • By tightasagnats 10th Sep 17, 10:34 AM
    • 338 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    tightasagnats
    • 10th Sep 17, 10:34 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 10:34 AM
    If the bill is correct, and in your name, speak with the supplier about a payment plan. If you've run up a bill of £1200 alone, then you also need to think about turning off heaters/lights/appliances that are being used unnecessarily (that's a lot of electricity).

You might also contact Step Change the debt charity if you're likely to get into debt over this matter and they can help with negotiating with suppliers.

You can work this out, so don't panic!
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 10th Sep 17, 10:51 AM
    • 486 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 10th Sep 17, 10:51 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 10:51 AM
    If the bill is correct, and in your name, speak with the supplier about a payment plan. If you've run up a bill of £1200 alone, then you also need to think about turning off heaters/lights/appliances that are being used unnecessarily (that's a lot of electricity).
    Originally posted by tightasagnats
    He has been living there alone for a year, my bills are £45 per month, I live alone too.
    Is it a very large house, with central heating?

• deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 10th Sep 17, 1:00 PM
    • 4,744 Posts
    • 6,675 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 10th Sep 17, 1:00 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 1:00 PM
    I am afraid unless the bill is in the LL's name, he does not have a duty to help out at all. Whose name is the bill addressed to?

As suggested above, very important to check the bill is a bill based on actual readings or an estimated bill?

£30 for presumably a largish property was really not going to cover the electricity (if no gas) costs. You might also have had tenants who have not been paying their share.., but difficult to assess that after a year of living alone in a largish property and it would be very difficult to chase up old tenants (and more difficult getting them to pay).

Perhaps go to the CAB? They might help with setting up a payment plan and telling you what your legal rights/responsibilities are.

What does your TA say as regards bills, if anything?
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 10th Sep 17, 1:52 PM
    • 8,217 Posts
    • 4,891 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 10th Sep 17, 1:52 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 1:52 PM
    The bill is probably on he most expensive tariff , ie variable rate, too.
    • aneary
    • By aneary 10th Sep 17, 3:22 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    aneary
    I wonder if all the radiators in all 5 spare rooms were switched on over winter.

Do you have access to the other 5 rooms or are they locked?

If locked and the rads were on you may have a reason to negotiate with the LL as it's beyond your control.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 10th Sep 17, 3:43 PM
    • 801 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    phillw
    After sending in up to date electricity readings and paying a direct debit of £30 a month I have been handed a eon bill of £1200!!!
    Originally posted by ianclarke77
    When was the previous meter read? If it was before the last tenant left then you could argue they are partly liable.

If the £1200 is built up over the last 12 months (which is pretty insane) when you were living on your own, then yes it's your bill and you have to pay it.

There is a small possibility there is faulty equipment, but unless you can find out when this £1200 debt was built up then you can't really tell.

I would have thought that you'd ask for an up to date bill every time someone moved in or out. If I moved into a property then I wouldn't expect to pay towards utility bills racked up by previous tenants.
    Last edited by phillw; 10-09-2017 at 3:46 PM.
  • E.ON Company Representative: Helena
    Good morning ianclarke77 and welcome to the forum.

Some really good questions from the posters here, so thank you guys.

From your post it sounds to me like the account and bills are in your name only.

I also think there may have been some estimated meter reads used previously to bill the account and these were low. As we've now received an actual meter read it sounds like this may be a catch up bill.

I understand you've been paying £30 per month, this does appear really low and may also have caused part of the balance.

It's going to be best to speak with us and establish what has happened and then we can talk through payment plans and how we can help.

I would also suggest setting up an online account (if you haven't already got one) This means you can really manage your own account and keep a close eye on things. You can then pop some meter reads on when you like and produce a real time bill or balance. This would be helpful if new tenants move in.

You can also adjust your Direct Debit on there, by 20% up or down with meters reads or 5% without reads.

Hope this helps a little.

Thank you

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 12th Sep 17, 10:50 AM
    • 486 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    sevenhills

I understand you've been paying £30 per month, this does appear really low and may also have caused part of the balance.
    Originally posted by E.ON Company Representative: Helena
    If there was 6 people in one house, 6 x £30(£180 per month) should leave a credit, for some months after they moved out.

• E.ON Company Representative: Helena
    If there was 6 people in one house, 6 x £30(£180 per month) should leave a credit, for some months after they moved out.
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    Thanks,

I read it as just ianclarke77 was paying £30 per month for the last year, when they were on their own.

But yes, I get your point. If they all paid that there might be a credit. I'm not sure what the heating is etc if it's all electric heating that can be expensive.

I can see the OP hasn't come back, I could do with a bit more info really. But happy to help.

Thanks again.

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 12th Sep 17, 11:36 AM
    • 18,420 Posts
    • 14,135 Thanks
    agrinnall

I would have thought that you'd ask for an up to date bill every time someone moved in or out. If I moved into a property then I wouldn't expect to pay towards utility bills racked up by previous tenants.
    Originally posted by phillw
    I'd be pretty sure this is the root cause, and while it's not at all unusual for students not to consider such things the OP is the one who has been lumbered with the big bill as a result. I'd say you only have 3 options:

1) Pay it yourself, perhaps with a payment plan
    2) Contact previous occupants and try to get them to chip in.
    3) Attempt to negotiate a lower final bill with E.ON.

Sadly I suspect you'll end up with option 1.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Sep 17, 12:32 PM
    • 41,070 Posts
    • 47,188 Thanks
    G_M
    I'd be pretty sure this is the root cause, and while it's not at all unusual for students not to consider such things the OP is the one who has been lumbered with the big bill as a result. I'd say you only have 3 options:

1) Pay it yourself, perhaps with a payment plan
    2) Contact previous occupants and try to get them to chip in.
    3) Attempt to negotiate a lower final bill with E.ON.

Sadly I suspect you'll end up with option 1.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    I agree. Unfortunately I think the OP has also reached this conclusion and lost the will to live.....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

23Posts Today

3,671Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin