Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 9th Sep 17, 7:23 PM
    • 762Posts
    • 25Thanks
    wallofbeans
    removing excess phone sockets - who can do that?
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:23 PM
    removing excess phone sockets - who can do that? 9th Sep 17 at 7:23 PM
    Hi all,

Our house is full of phone sockets that are no longer used and we're about to do some redecorating and I'd like to remove all but the main one. Who do I call to do that - an electrician or someone from BT or someone else..?

And does anybody have a recommendation of someone in south London?

Thanks!

UPDATED IMAGES OF ALL SOCKETS AND BOXES IN HOUSE:
    https://imgur.com/a/MEX9S
    Last edited by wallofbeans; 10-09-2017 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Added link to full set of images
Page 5
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 11th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 2,445 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    AndyPK
    I wonder if the phone you are using has a poor plug, as it doesn't work with 2 sockets you would expect it to

Sounds like you have disconnected the back bedroom now (above door), so can't refit the BT master socket up there and see if it works.

I guess the other option is that it isn't wired as we think! and maybe the down stream sockets get a supply from else where.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 11th Sep 17, 12:40 PM
    • 4,659 Posts
    • 28,099 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    I removed mine by snipping the cables, and plastering over the holes. I did this thirteen years ago and still have no problem!
    I soled my last sock
    For a whiff of your cheap perfume filled with hope of tears gone by
    • decbel
    • By decbel 11th Sep 17, 1:29 PM
    • 1,494 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    decbel
    I'll be careful of that - thanks! Wasn't going to dare removing anything unless I know exactly what it is...

I wondered if that red wire is connecting the living room socket to the kitchen socket? The kitchen socket still works even though I took out the right hand junction box from above front door and I can't figure out how it is connected to the main line...
    Originally posted by wallofbeans
    I agree with previous posters on that red wire. Be careful.

You might have had a re-wire at some time. Some times electricians leave the old cables in situ and bury them. Seen that in my previous house but the wire was dead. But be careful. Its easy to forget and make a mistake.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 11th Sep 17, 1:52 PM
    • 17,349 Posts
    • 11,521 Thanks
    molerat
    I would have serious concerns about the rest of the house if someone has wired what is clearly telephone cable to the mains and then connected it to a telephone socket. I believe that, as the op has suggested, it could well be the link to the still working kitchen phone. No danger of 240v.
    Last edited by molerat; 11-09-2017 at 2:55 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Robertsutton1978
    • By Robertsutton1978 11th Sep 17, 2:09 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Robertsutton1978
    I did the same job as you a couple of weeks ago. I disconnected the old extensions and fitted a new master socket.

I found the videos on this site very useful. I can't post the link but do an internet search for the website
    mymatevince

I doubt you'd have a 240v wire going to a phone socket, there's no need for it. If it's the same diameter wiring as the other 2 wires it's most likely for the ringer signal.
    Hope this helps
    Rob
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 11th Sep 17, 4:47 PM
    • 1,310 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I'll be careful of that - thanks! Wasn't going to dare removing anything unless I know exactly what it is...

I wondered if that red wire is connecting the living room socket to the kitchen socket? The kitchen socket still works even though I took out the right hand junction box from above front door and I can't figure out how it is connected to the main line...
    Yeah, sorry but when I first looked at the picture it looked like it continued on through the bottom of the metal back box without interruption. I can see now that it is connected to the phone socket and (presumably) connected to the kitchen.
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 11th Sep 17, 4:56 PM
    • 762 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    Yeah, sorry but when I first looked at the picture it looked like it continued on through the bottom of the metal back box without interruption. I can see now that it is connected to the phone socket and (presumably) connected to the kitchen.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    It seems that way. The living room socket and kitchen socket are the only two that fitted inside a hole in the wall, and the only two that I can't see the wires tacked along the skirting board and into the box.

I don't get why the master is this crappy little box hanging off the wall and these other two are professionally done, wires inside the wall etc. I can see the upstairs sockets were added later, but it almost feels like the master was added later (and badly) too...

Very confusing.. but I think I'm getting there!
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 11th Sep 17, 6:41 PM
    • 1,850 Posts
    • 2,644 Thanks
    Robisere
    I think decbel gave good advice: look up local telcoms fitters in the local paper/website. They usually advertise as "Ex-BT". That's what I did when faced with similar problems in a previous home. 14 years ago, but charged me just £30 cash.

If the first one takes a look and gets evasive, wait for one who doesn't. Get a quote, for cash.
    Last edited by Robisere; 11-09-2017 at 6:43 PM.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 13th Sep 17, 1:53 PM
    • 762 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    So new master socket arrived. Instructions confusing me a little. I thought the blue/white and white/blue go into the A and B terminals but this says VDSL2 does...

I'm assuming it's talking about a different connection than I have and I can just go with what I already have.. but wanted to ask before I got started...

https://imgur.com/a/y3t8W
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 13th Sep 17, 2:44 PM
    • 1,310 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    So new master socket arrived. Instructions confusing me a little. I thought the blue/white and white/blue go into the A and B terminals but this says VDSL2 does...

I'm assuming it's talking about a different connection than I have and I can just go with what I already have.. but wanted to ask before I got started...

https://imgur.com/a/y3t8W
    Just use 2 & 5 as it says, you should be able to ignore the others unless you've got a 50 year old telephone with a mechanical bell on top

Edit: Use A & B
    Last edited by Colin_Maybe; 13-09-2017 at 2:58 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot :)
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 13th Sep 17, 2:46 PM
    • 762 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    Just use 2 & 5 as it says, you should be able to ignore the others unless you've got a 50 year old telephone with a mechanical bell on top
    But I've got to put something in A and B surely?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 13th Sep 17, 2:53 PM
    • 1,310 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    But I've got to put something in A and B surely?
    No, not that I'm aware of anyway. What's the rest of the box look like?

Edit: sorry, ignore that, just connect to A & B, 2 & 5 are used for extensions.
    Last edited by Colin_Maybe; 13-09-2017 at 2:57 PM.
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 13th Sep 17, 2:56 PM
    • 762 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    No, not that I'm aware of anyway. What's the rest of the box look like?
    Is this why the box from the back bedroom didn't work? I was putting the white/blue and blue/white in the A and B slots and only the wires from the extension to the next socket into the numbered slots...
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 13th Sep 17, 3:09 PM
    • 1,310 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Is this why the box from the back bedroom didn't work? I was putting the white/blue and blue/white in the A and B slots and only the wires from the extension to the next socket into the numbered slots...
    Sorry, I edited my post after realising I shouldn't post anything within ten minutes of waking up

The A & B terminals are for the incoming main line which should be touched by BT only and are more hidden. The 2 & 5 pins are more easily accessible so that the consumer can add their own extensions. It may work anyway connecting straight to 2 & 5 but you may as well do it right and connect A & B.
    Last edited by Colin_Maybe; 13-09-2017 at 7:13 PM.
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 13th Sep 17, 3:14 PM
    • 762 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    Sorry, I edited my post after realising I shouldn't post anything within ten minutes of waking up

The A & B terminals are for the incoming main line which should be touched by BT only and are more hidden. The 2 & 5 pins are more easily accessible so that the consumer can add their own extensions. It may work anyway connecting straight to " & 5 but you may as well do it right and connect A & B.
    Haha! Phew. Okay, so they don't mention the A & B in that way in these instructions because I shouldn't be touching them..?
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 13th Sep 17, 6:03 PM
    • 2,445 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    AndyPK
    yeah I guess that is the reason.

The wires should be connected to AB terminals in the top left of the picture.

The others terminals 2 & 5 & 3 are for other sockets down stream
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 13th Sep 17, 6:06 PM
    • 2,445 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    AndyPK
    When you tried the old socket with the large screw terminals, did you strip the coating off the wire to metal ?
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 13th Sep 17, 6:08 PM
    • 762 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    When you tried the old socket with the large screw terminals, did you strip the coating off the wire to metal ?
    Originally posted by AndyPK
    No - was I supposed to?
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 13th Sep 17, 6:24 PM
    • 2,445 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    AndyPK
    yeah, athough I guess there would have been some metal showing

Did you purchase the metal tool ? or get a free plastic one with the box ?
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 13th Sep 17, 6:27 PM
    • 762 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    yeah, athough I guess there would have been some metal showing

Did you purchase the metal tool ? or get a free plastic one with the box ?
    Originally posted by AndyPK
    Ah, this is very confusing. I thought I wasn't supposed to strip the coating from the wires.
    Or is that I'm not supposed to strip it when using the press in connectors, but am supposed to when using the screw in terminals??

And yes, I got a plastic one in the box.

So there are no screw in terminals on this new master socket.. so no stripping of wires required..?
    Last edited by wallofbeans; 13-09-2017 at 6:30 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,373Posts Today

7,198Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin