Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 9th Sep 17, 7:23 PM
    • 758Posts
    • 25Thanks
    wallofbeans
    removing excess phone sockets - who can do that?
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:23 PM
    removing excess phone sockets - who can do that? 9th Sep 17 at 7:23 PM
    Hi all,

Our house is full of phone sockets that are no longer used and we're about to do some redecorating and I'd like to remove all but the main one. Who do I call to do that - an electrician or someone from BT or someone else..?

And does anybody have a recommendation of someone in south London?

Thanks!

UPDATED IMAGES OF ALL SOCKETS AND BOXES IN HOUSE:
    https://imgur.com/a/MEX9S
    Last edited by wallofbeans; 10-09-2017 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Added link to full set of images
Page 4
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 10th Sep 17, 6:44 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    This is the £7 filter plate where you can plug your broadband straight in.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TELEPHONE-VDSL2-ADSL-BROADBAND-FACEPLATE-FILTER-FOR-BT-TYPE-MASTER-SOCKET-NTE5A-/221934535028?epid=1288971783&hash=item33ac544174:g %20%20:P9MAAOSwbwlXCBHM

The metal back box is in the wall where your router currently is.
    You described it like a grown up house.
    Originally posted by AndyPK
    Ah... So I could buy that and just take off the front of the current point where I plug in my router and phone and put this on instead? It'll fit?
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 10th Sep 17, 6:45 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    No you don't need to keep it. It is a weird bodge up you have and disconnecting that second junction above the front door should cause no problems.

The only mystery is where that red cable goes. The metal box looks quite old so I imagine the cable has been there a while. Maybe it is like in my house, I have a disconnected cable inside my master socket box and a blanked box upstairs with a cable in it, original to the 1980s house. They are not connected and I can only assume that somewhere along the way the builders managed to chop it !

The only real advantage to getting a modern one is that you can have separate ADSL and phone sockets on the front if you wish so no need for the splitter hanging out or just a nice clean shiny one.
    Originally posted by molerat
    This house was built in 1873 (!) so I assume there have been a few builders through here since and lots of messing around with wiring.....
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 10th Sep 17, 6:46 PM
    • 2,322 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    AndyPK
    Not quite. You need a bit from the back bedroom master socket to go in the middle
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 10th Sep 17, 7:42 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    OK. So extra junction removed. Socket from back bedroom removed. And phone/internet still works!

It looks like there are just two wires that need to come from the wire coming through the wall from the front door area and into the master socket. The rest are wound around the lead. Is it really just two wires that need connecting?

The others connected to this hanging off the wall master all go to the next socket, where the phone/ internet are currently connected. So they can be removed.

Two wires. Really? That's it?

I assume I need that tool to do this or can it be done without? The master socket from back bedroom has screw on connectors for those two wires - so maybe not?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 10th Sep 17, 8:08 PM
    • 1,064 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    OK. So extra junction removed. Socket from back bedroom removed. And phone/internet still works!

It looks like there are just two wires that need to come from the wire coming through the wall from the front door area and into the master socket. The rest are wound around the lead. Is it really just two wires that need connecting?

The others connected to this hanging off the wall master all go to the next socket, where the phone/ internet are currently connected. So they can be removed.

Two wires. Really? That's it?

I assume I need that tool to do this or can it be done without? The master socket from back bedroom has screw on connectors for those two wires - so maybe not?
    Originally posted by wallofbeans
    Yep, as said earlier (and in the link I posted which shows how to rewire the whole lot) you only need to use the blue/white & white/blue wires nowadays, the rest are legacy wires no longer utilised.

I think you're perhaps getting confused a little with too much information from different directions. If you're happy enough to do it yourself (and you seem to be) you need to buy the master socket Andy linked earlier: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-OPENREACH-TYPE-NTE5-MASTER-PHONE-SOCKET-AND-VDSL2-ADSL-FACEPLATE-FILTER-KIT-A-/221727286543?epid=883574121&hash=item339ff9e50f:g: %20%20wOMAAOSw7n9XEVSS

This actually comes with the little tool to push in the wires so no need for anything else whatsoever.

This would mean you have the small junction box at top left of your front door with the wire going into the back of your new box replacing the one hanging off. You wouldn't need the splitter that you currently have where the phone & router plug in and you wouldn't need any external micro filter. That's as neat as you're going to get IMO.

You can rip out everything else.
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 10th Sep 17, 8:17 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    Yep, as said earlier (and in the link I posted which shows how to rewire the whole lot) you only need to use the blue/white & white/blue wires nowadays, the rest are legacy wires no longer utilised.

I think you're perhaps getting confused a little with too much information from different directions. If you're happy enough to do it yourself (and you seem to be) you need to buy the master socket Andy linked earlier: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-OPENREACH-TYPE-NTE5-MASTER-PHONE-SOCKET-AND-VDSL2-ADSL-FACEPLATE-FILTER-KIT-A-/221727286543?epid=883574121&hash=item339ff9e50f:g: %20%20wOMAAOSw7n9XEVSS

This actually comes with the little tool to push in the wires so no need for anything else whatsoever.

This would mean you have the small junction box at top left of your front door with the wire going into the back of your new box replacing the one hanging off. You wouldn't need the splitter that you currently have where the phone & router plug in and you wouldn't need any external micro filter. That's as neat as you're going to get IMO.

You can rip out everything else.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Thanks. I think I was getting a little confused...

I think I have it now though... And for now, I think I'll use the existing master socket from the back bedroom to replace the hanging one. See how that goes and if I want to neaten up further then buy that linked master socket later.

I'm so pleased to have a handle on this and be able to pull out so of these wires all around the walls - I'll be happy for a while just with that...

So -- these two wires -- one is blue with white bands and the other white with blue bands, and blue white goes to A and white blue to B, right?

And with this screw based master socket - I just hook those wires around the screws and tighten, like doing a plug -- and that's it?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 10th Sep 17, 8:55 PM
    • 1,064 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Thanks. I think I was getting a little confused...

I think I have it now though... And for now, I think I'll use the existing master socket from the back bedroom to replace the hanging one. See how that goes and if I want to neaten up further then buy that linked master socket later.

I'm so pleased to have a handle on this and be able to pull out so of these wires all around the walls - I'll be happy for a while just with that...

So -- these two wires -- one is blue with white bands and the other white with blue bands, and blue white goes to A and white blue to B, right?

And with this screw based master socket - I just hook those wires around the screws and tighten, like doing a plug -- and that's it?
    You've got a photo here: https://imgur.com/a/MEX9S which shows how the wires are connected. There's another website that's got some useful pertinent information here: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm which mentions your old 'star' layout type of wiring.
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 10th Sep 17, 9:04 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    You've got a photo here: https://imgur.com/a/MEX9S which shows how the wires are connected. There's another website that's got some useful pertinent information here: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm which mentions your old 'star' layout type of wiring.
    So the other way around!

Blue White goes to B
    White Blue goes to A
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 10th Sep 17, 10:10 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    Socket changed. No phone signal. What have I done wrong?
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 10th Sep 17, 10:37 PM
    • 2,322 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    AndyPK
    Try swapping the wires around although I though you still got a dial tone
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 10th Sep 17, 10:52 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    Nothing with wires either way around. I even tried adding the wires that feed to the next socket.

Maybe the master socket I took from the back bedroom is dead?

I put back the hanging off the way socket and set up as before and it's working again. BUT plugging phone directly into hanging off wall socket gets nothing. It only works if I plug back into the next socket along.

I guess I'll order a new master socket tomorrow and see if that works.
    • decbel
    • By decbel 11th Sep 17, 3:40 AM
    • 1,395 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    decbel
    Hi all,

Our house is full of phone sockets that are no longer used and we're about to do some redecorating and I'd like to remove all but the main one. Who do I call to do that - an electrician or someone from BT or someone else..?

And does anybody have a recommendation of someone in south London?

Thanks!

UPDATED IMAGES OF ALL SOCKETS AND BOXES IN HOUSE:
    https://imgur.com/a/MEX9S
    An electrician could obviously do it but the voltage involved is miniscule-I believe around 4 volts.

The BT robbers will charge hundreds of pounds.

If you aren't confident yourself (and I can't see why you shouldn't be) then you often see ex BT phone engineers in the free ad type papers.

Technically you shouldn't touch the master socket as its BT'S property but it has never bothered me or anyone I know.
    • decbel
    • By decbel 11th Sep 17, 3:45 AM
    • 1,395 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    decbel
    Nothing with wires either way around. I even tried adding the wires that feed to the next socket.

I put back the hanging off the way socket and set up as before and it's working again. BUT plugging phone directly into hanging off wall socket gets nothing. It only works if I plug back into the next socket along.

You'll need the correct pressing down tool. Sometimes they come with the socket.

You could press the wires in with a flat head screwdriver but not generally advised.

Personally for diy work I still prefer the sockets with screw terminals.
    • decbel
    • By decbel 11th Sep 17, 3:52 AM
    • 1,395 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    decbel

If you've disconnected all the extensions from the master socket then on the new socket only 2 incoming wires actually do anything.

On mine its orange and white.

There is no polarity and you can't blow anything up.

So have a go.
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 11th Sep 17, 8:42 AM
    • 18,545 Posts
    • 195,990 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    One tip I have never tried but was told by a customer of my OHs is that a credit card does a good job of pressing down the wires. This would probably damage the card though.

Please do not strip them first.

If you cannot get it to work then call an independent telecoms engineer, unfortunately my OH does not cover South London but there is bound to be someone local, have an ask around or a google.

You could call BT, but you would almost certainly be charged, especially if it was evident you had been fiddling with the wiring. That said, I have never had a BT apprenticeship (my OH has trained me for everything he needs me to do though) and I have been forced to show a BT engineer how to do his job before now (a customer was having a new line put in at the same time as we were there and it was rather complicated wiring).
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 11th Sep 17, 8:59 AM
    • 1,064 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    If you've disconnected all the extensions from the master socket then on the new socket only 2 incoming wires actually do anything.

On mine its orange and white.

There is no polarity and you can't blow anything up.

So have a go.
    Originally posted by decbel
    You can see from the 3rd picture here that it's blue/white & white/blue wires only that are connected to the previously working master socket in the living room. https://imgur.com/a/j1mVq

I would suggest that since they're pushing it in by hand(?) they've just not made a good enough connection on the existing faceplate at the least.
    Last edited by Colin_Maybe; 11-09-2017 at 4:43 PM. Reason: Typo
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 11th Sep 17, 9:04 AM
    • 1,064 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    BTW the red cable that goes through the back of the 2nd box in the living room may have 240V running through it so don't cut it at random. Could they have just used the channel to run the feed for the double plug socket you've got your router plugged into or perhaps a wall light above? I'd turn the power off and remove the faceplate on the socket to check what the cable looks like inside the box.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 11th Sep 17, 9:16 AM
    • 1,064 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Pin 2 or 'B' should have the Blue/White wire attached.

Pin 5 or 'A' should have the White/Blue wire attached.

Don't bother with the rest.

All of your pictures seem to show the correct wiring so if it's not working either the connections not good enough or the (back bedroom) socket is dodgy.

(Thanks for updating the first post with the link to all of your pictures, saves trolling through everything to find them)
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 11th Sep 17, 11:23 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    You can see from the 3rd picture here that it's blue/white & white/blue wires only that are connected to the previously working master socket in the living room. https://imgur.com/a/j1mVq

I would suggest that since they're pushing it in my hand(?) they've just not made a good enough connection on the existing faceplate at the least.
    That's what is confusing. I wouldn't have tried it without the tool if the master socket from the back bedroom hadn't had the screw in connections... And it still didn't work...

And then the original hanging off box doesn't work if I plug a phone line into it directly but only if used as a pass through to the next socket down...
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 11th Sep 17, 11:25 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    BTW the red cable that goes through the back of the 2nd box in the living room may have 240V running through it so don't cut it at random. Could they have just used the channel to run the feed for the double plug socket you've got your router plugged into or perhaps a wall light above? I'd turn the power off and remove the faceplate on the socket to check what the cable looks like inside the box.
    I'll be careful of that - thanks! Wasn't going to dare removing anything unless I know exactly what it is...

I wondered if that red wire is connecting the living room socket to the kitchen socket? The kitchen socket still works even though I took out the right hand junction box from above front door and I can't figure out how it is connected to the main line...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,294Posts Today

6,239Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin