Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 9th Sep 17, 7:23 PM
    • 762Posts
    • 25Thanks
    wallofbeans
    removing excess phone sockets - who can do that?
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:23 PM
    removing excess phone sockets - who can do that? 9th Sep 17 at 7:23 PM
    Hi all,

Our house is full of phone sockets that are no longer used and we're about to do some redecorating and I'd like to remove all but the main one. Who do I call to do that - an electrician or someone from BT or someone else..?

And does anybody have a recommendation of someone in south London?

Thanks!

UPDATED IMAGES OF ALL SOCKETS AND BOXES IN HOUSE:
    https://imgur.com/a/MEX9S
    Last edited by wallofbeans; 10-09-2017 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Added link to full set of images
Page 3
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 10th Sep 17, 1:16 PM
    • 762 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    Can I just remove the second junction box from above the front door then? I assume I just need to remove the wires connecting it from the first box and then I can take out the second box and all the wiring leading up to the box in the back bedroom.

And then could I do the same with the junction box next to the under stairs cupboard? I don't know where the wire going out of the top of it goes so I could I leave that in the junction box but remove the lower wire at least?

And then figure out where the top wire goes when I take up the stairs carpets and can track it?

I assume it's not a good idea to leave bare wires around, and leaving them hidden in the junction box, even if not connected to anything, is a better idea?
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 10th Sep 17, 1:25 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 397 Thanks
    mac.d
    FWIW I'm completely clueless compared to the rest of the people giving you advice on this thread, but I'd agree with Mister G and Colin_Maybe about giving BT a call to see if they can fit a new master socket for you (free of charge), and ask the engineer to make sure he disconnects any extra wires, so you can then safely remove the rest.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 10th Sep 17, 2:01 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 260 Thanks
    Mister G
    I'm sure that if you feed him sufficient cups of tea and chocolate Hobnobs, he'll be putty in your hands
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 10th Sep 17, 2:22 PM
    • 2,445 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    AndyPK
    Are so at last we see what we know as a BT master socket that has been hiding in your back bedroom.

Although you have 2 master sockets which is not unknown

What are you trying to achieve ?

Broadband ?
    Do you use the phone? Just want one phone ?

Where Do you want the router?
    in your back bedroom ?
    by the handing off socket
    or the flush socket ?

don't forget it needs a mains socket close by
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 10th Sep 17, 2:26 PM
    • 762 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    Are so at last we see what we know as a BT master socket that has been hiding in your back bedroom.

Although you have 2 master sockets which is not unknown

What are you trying to achieve ?

Broadband ?
    Do you use the phone? Just want one phone ?

Where Do you want the router?
    in your back bedroom ?
    by the handing off socket
    or the flush socket ?

don't forget it needs a mains socket close by
    Originally posted by AndyPK
    I just want one socket in the living room for phone and broadband. So either where the hanging socket is or the one next to it. Everything else gone.

And to be honest, we don't use the landline - and wouldn't miss it - it's only there for the internet.
    Last edited by wallofbeans; 10-09-2017 at 2:40 PM.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 10th Sep 17, 2:41 PM
    • 2,445 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    AndyPK
    Some options I would consider are :

1. Take the large BT socket out of your back bedroom and put it where the hanging off socket is

a) have a micro filter hanging out the front for BB
    or
    b) put a filter plate on the front like this
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TELEPHONE-VDSL2-ADSL-BROADBAND-FACEPLATE-FILTER-FOR-BT-TYPE-MASTER-SOCKET-NTE5A-/221934535028?epid=1288971783&hash=item33ac544174:g :P9MAAOSwbwlXCBHM

2. Purchase or maybe use existing junction box where the hanging off box is.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-80A-TELEPHONE-JUNCTION-BOX-BT80A-/221693806495?hash=item339dfb079f:g:5zoAAOSwbdpWZx7 C

and then use the socket with the metal back box (where you currently appear to have your router) to put a BT master socket.

i.e nicked from the back bedroom

all wiring down stream can be disconnected. (although a shame to disconnect the flush mounted kitchen socket)

Of course there are variations on this, which you can come up with.

Will all this, make sure you get things working for a couple of days before you go ripping wiring and old back boxes out

And note the wire colour connections at both ends
    Last edited by AndyPK; 10-09-2017 at 2:53 PM.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 10th Sep 17, 3:06 PM
    • 1,310 Posts
    • 566 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Can I call BT and ask? I don't want to get stung with the call out charge. And I don't want to flag up to them that there's an issue with the master socket and then not let them fix it and do it myself... do I?
    Originally posted by wallofbeans
    Not even BT charge for asking a question, if they try to charge more than you're willing to pay (even just to look at it) you can still say no. They're not going to come and kick your door down to check it's not been touched.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 10th Sep 17, 3:30 PM
    • 17,349 Posts
    • 11,522 Thanks
    molerat
    Can I just remove the second junction box from above the front door then? I assume I just need to remove the wires connecting it from the first box and then I can take out the second box and all the wiring leading up to the box in the back bedroom.

And then could I do the same with the junction box next to the under stairs cupboard? I don't know where the wire going out of the top of it goes so I could I leave that in the junction box but remove the lower wire at least?

And then figure out where the top wire goes when I take up the stairs carpets and can track it?

I assume it's not a good idea to leave bare wires around, and leaving them hidden in the junction box, even if not connected to anything, is a better idea?
    That is what I would do. Once that second box is disconnected everything else would be dead. You could plug a phone to each socket and listen.

Followed by this
    Some options I would consider are :

1. Take the large BT socket out of your back bedroom and put it where the hanging off socket is
    Technically a bit naughty but very difficult to get wrong. Photo of inside the living room master would confirm. As said earlier, if you can fit a 3 pin plug .............

The socket removed from the bedroom will have A & B terminals. Convention is that brown goes to B and white to A. In your junction box brown goes to blue-white and white goes to white-blue, again convention. So in the living room you connect blue-white to B and white-blue to A. Job done
    Last edited by molerat; 10-09-2017 at 4:00 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 10th Sep 17, 5:09 PM
    • 762 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    That is what I would do. Once that second box is disconnected everything else would be dead. You could plug a phone to each socket and listen.

Followed by this

Technically a bit naughty but very difficult to get wrong. Photo of inside the living room master would confirm. As said earlier, if you can fit a 3 pin plug .............

The socket removed from the bedroom will have A & B terminals. Convention is that brown goes to B and white to A. In your junction box brown goes to blue-white and white goes to white-blue, again convention. So in the living room you connect blue-white to B and white-blue to A. Job done
    Originally posted by molerat
    Is there any reason to use the socket from the back bedroom, rather than buy a new one? Other than saving myself a tenner. The one from the bedroom has been there who knows how long, is quite browned with age and it might be smarter to do this properly if I'm going to do it myself.

And would a more modern socket be easier to fit? Or have different terminals?

I'm going to try again to get inside that master socket. I can't make it much worse than it already is. The screw just spins though so....
    Last edited by wallofbeans; 10-09-2017 at 5:13 PM.
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 10th Sep 17, 5:12 PM
    • 762 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    Not even BT charge for asking a question, if they try to charge more than you're willing to pay (even just to look at it) you can still say no. They're not going to come and kick your door down to check it's not been touched.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    That's what I wanted to check! If I do ask and then don't go with them, will I start getting knocks at the door to check my connections and then some sort of fine or something if I've done it myself!

I was under the impression that every up until the master socket was owned by them, so me touching it would be breaking some sort of contract...

But could I have an independent telephone engineer look at it, officially speaking..?
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 10th Sep 17, 5:39 PM
    • 2,445 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    AndyPK
    Wilh the amount of stuff you have I can imagine a bt engineer would be there longer than an hour sorting it to your standards.

You can buy a new socket if you wish. However if you fit it to a metal back box and purchase that £7 front there will not be much left on display.
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 10th Sep 17, 5:48 PM
    • 762 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    Wilh the amount of stuff you have I can imagine a bt engineer would be there longer than an hour sorting it to your standards.

You can buy a new socket if you wish. However if you fit it to a metal back box and purchase that £7 front there will not be much left on display.
    My standards? I just want it to work and not be dangerous. I pull out all the old sockets myself. I just need to know the master works and is safe.

Apologies - what's a metal back box? And what's the £7 front? And probably being an idiot but I'm not sure what you mean by "not much left on display"?
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 10th Sep 17, 5:49 PM
    • 762 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    Here's pics of inside the hanging off the wall socket. Is this the master?

https://imgur.com/a/XW6YM
    • molerat
    • By molerat 10th Sep 17, 5:51 PM
    • 17,349 Posts
    • 11,522 Thanks
    molerat
    As long as you get a genuine BT/Openreach master socket who will know or really care ? Legally only Openreach can touch it, even an openreach guy can't do it on his day off. But it is so simple that anyone with access to Youtube can do a perfectly reasonable job.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 10th Sep 17, 5:53 PM
    • 17,349 Posts
    • 11,522 Thanks
    molerat
    Here's pics of inside the hanging off the wall socket. Is this the master?

https://imgur.com/a/XW6YM
    Yes, it is one of the 2 masters you have.
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 10th Sep 17, 6:11 PM
    • 762 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    Yes, it is one of the 2 masters you have.
    But the other master socket is just master socket in terms of the type of cover it is, right?
    It's the back bedroom socket, which hasn't been used at all and feeds from the junction at the front door via another one and then a very long wire going up the stairs and around the walls of the back bedroom to that socket.

What I mean is - I don't need to keep the second master socket, do I? Because that's the one I mostly want to remove...

Any ideas why I have two master sockets? And why the main one is so much crappier than the one I don't use at all!
    Last edited by wallofbeans; 10-09-2017 at 6:15 PM.
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 10th Sep 17, 6:12 PM
    • 762 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    As long as you get a genuine BT/Openreach master socket who will know or really care ? Legally only Openreach can touch it, even an openreach guy can't do it on his day off. But it is so simple that anyone with access to Youtube can do a perfectly reasonable job.
    Are the newer ones better and or different from the one I have in my back bedroom?

I.e. Are there advantages to getting a new one versus using the one from upstairs to replace the one hanging off the wall?
    • molerat
    • By molerat 10th Sep 17, 6:21 PM
    • 17,349 Posts
    • 11,522 Thanks
    molerat
    No you don't need to keep it. It is a weird bodge up you have and disconnecting that second junction above the front door should cause no problems.

The only mystery is where that red cable goes. The metal box looks quite old so I imagine the cable has been there a while. Maybe it is like in my house, I have a disconnected cable inside my master socket box and a blanked box upstairs with a cable in it, original to the 1980s house. They are not connected and I can only assume that somewhere along the way the builders managed to chop it !

The only real advantage to getting a modern one is that you can have separate ADSL and phone sockets on the front if you wish so no need for the splitter hanging out or just a nice clean shiny one.
    Last edited by molerat; 10-09-2017 at 6:25 PM.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 10th Sep 17, 6:27 PM
    • 2,445 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    AndyPK
    Generally a master socket is required on the first socket from outside to ensure all phones ring.

I suspect there used to be a proper bt socket where the loose one is. It got damaged and the previous owner fixed it himself!

A new master socket will be of no advantage (this is Mse after all lol)
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 10th Sep 17, 6:33 PM
    • 2,445 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    AndyPK
    This is the £7 filter plate where you can plug your broadband straight in.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TELEPHONE-VDSL2-ADSL-BROADBAND-FACEPLATE-FILTER-FOR-BT-TYPE-MASTER-SOCKET-NTE5A-/221934535028?epid=1288971783&hash=item33ac544174:g %20%20:P9MAAOSwbwlXCBHM

The metal back box is in the wall where your router currently is.
    You described it like a grown up house.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

285Posts Today

1,467Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin