Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 9th Sep 17, 7:23 PM
    • 758Posts
    • 25Thanks
    wallofbeans
    removing excess phone sockets - who can do that?
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:23 PM
    removing excess phone sockets - who can do that? 9th Sep 17 at 7:23 PM
    Hi all,

Our house is full of phone sockets that are no longer used and we're about to do some redecorating and I'd like to remove all but the main one. Who do I call to do that - an electrician or someone from BT or someone else..?

And does anybody have a recommendation of someone in south London?

Thanks!

UPDATED IMAGES OF ALL SOCKETS AND BOXES IN HOUSE:
    https://imgur.com/a/MEX9S
    Last edited by wallofbeans; 10-09-2017 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Added link to full set of images
Page 1
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 9th Sep 17, 7:51 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:51 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:51 PM
    I've just done some searching and found that the sockets are a mess. The main line comes in the front door and through the hallway wall to a socket in the living room that is hanging off! That then leads to what I thought was the main socket.

Link to photos below in case anyone knows what they are talking about and can point me in the right direction of sorting this out. Can I do myself? Or do I need an engineer? Does it have to be BT?

https://imgur.com/a/j1mVq

Thanks all!
    • macman
    • By macman 9th Sep 17, 8:25 PM
    • 41,290 Posts
    • 16,955 Thanks
    macman
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:25 PM
    You can remove or work on anything beyond the NTE5 master socket. BT will be delighted to do the work, but you will pay upwards of £125 for the first hour. If you can wire a plug, you can do it yourself, or any competent handyperson can.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 9th Sep 17, 8:25 PM
    • 29,975 Posts
    • 18,980 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Looks like its a case of just buying some replacement cable, stripping the cable eg like a plug and tack it to the wall when needed.

Take a photo of the cable ends in the current box before you remove the old cable and insert the new wires.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 9th Sep 17, 8:35 PM
    • 2,329 Posts
    • 619 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:35 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:35 PM
    You may as well just drill a hole to secure that box to the wall.

You aren't going to be able to make it significantly better
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 9th Sep 17, 8:46 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:46 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:46 PM
    You can remove or work on anything beyond the NTE5 master socket. BT will be delighted to do the work, but you will pay upwards of £125 for the first hour. If you can wire a plug, you can do it yourself, or any competent handyperson can.
    Originally posted by macman
    OK... but how do I know which is the master socket?
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 9th Sep 17, 8:48 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:48 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:48 PM
    Looks like its a case of just buying some replacement cable, stripping the cable eg like a plug and tack it to the wall when needed.

Take a photo of the cable ends in the current box before you remove the old cable and insert the new wires.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    I'd like it to be a whole new box that's in the wall if possible. Can I just remove the one that's hanging off the wall and go directly to the one further along that is in the wall and not a crappy bit of plastic hanging off?
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 9th Sep 17, 8:49 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:49 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:49 PM
    And how do I disconnect the other phone sockets from the main one? What I don't want to do is lose the phone/ internet because I remove the wrong thing....
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 9th Sep 17, 10:41 PM
    • 2,329 Posts
    • 619 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:41 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:41 PM
    Better pics of the bedroom one ? And
    Front of the one hanging off
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 10th Sep 17, 12:37 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    Better pics of the bedroom one ? And
    Front of the one hanging off
    Originally posted by AndyPK
    Couldn't get pics of back bedroom one (someone is sleeping in that room) but got the others.
    It gets more complicated. I want to get rid of all but one in the living room if possible.

https://imgur.com/a/7ASGf

Thanks for help with this. I hope it makes some kind of sense!
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 10th Sep 17, 2:02 AM
    • 114 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Tom99
    It looks like the socket at the top left hand side of your front door is the 'master socket' although what it looks like is just a junction box rather than a socket.

If you remover the cover on this box you should see the main two BT cables coming in from out side.

You should also see that the internal cables are joined to these external cables by two coloured wires, even though the internal cable might have 5 wires or so, only 2 will be connected.

I had the same situation and what I did was rip out everything my side of this 'master socket' then run a single uninterrupted cable to the position I wanted the one phone outlet.

I then installed a new modern BT master socket in that new position.

Make a note of the colour of the wires before you disconnect them.
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 10th Sep 17, 10:37 AM
    • 457 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    mac.d
    If you are with BT, it might be worth your while contacting them and saying you don't appear to have a proper master socket anywhere in your house so can they come and fit one. They did this for me at one point (I was a BT customer for both phone and broadband at the time), and it'd at least tidy up the main socket.
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 10th Sep 17, 10:49 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    If you are with BT, it might be worth your while contacting them and saying you don't appear to have a proper master socket anywhere in your house so can they come and fit one. They did this for me at one point (I was a BT customer for both phone and broadband at the time), and it'd at least tidy up the main socket.
    Originally posted by mac.d
    We are with BT for phone at the moment. Would they do that for free? And I wonder what they would do and where they'd put it?
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 10th Sep 17, 10:56 AM
    • 4,032 Posts
    • 5,102 Thanks
    jack_pott
    The BT master socket is the means to disconnect your house from the incoming line whilst you work, if you haven't got one mind your fingers, the ring voltage is about 200V.
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 10th Sep 17, 11:01 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    I've taken the covers off some of these boxes this morning and found this...

https://imgur.com/a/4aKlx

I seem to have an extra, not connected to anything, wire in the makeshift master socket above front door. And also I wonder what the red wire is in the socket I currently have the phone plugged into...

Any ideas?

Thank you SO MUCH for all help and advice so far. Incredibly helpful and could save me a fortune!
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 10th Sep 17, 11:03 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    The BT master socket is the means to disconnect your house from the incoming line whilst you work, if you haven't got one mind your fingers, the ring voltage is about 200V.
    Originally posted by jack_pott
    That doesn't sound good!

If I don't have one. Which I'm not sure I do. How did this happen??
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 10th Sep 17, 11:10 AM
    • 399 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    Mister G
    The picture of your living room socket (third picture) seems to show some of the inside of the socket. It looks like this is your master socket.

You may be able to persuade BT to replace this with a modern NTE5 Mk3 socket which has the built in filtering for broadband. It would mean that this would also be where you plug your router in. Not sure if that would be convenient for you.

BTW the ring voltage is 90v AC, which can still give you a nasty shock!
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 10th Sep 17, 11:20 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    The picture of your living room socket (third picture) seems to show some of the inside of the socket. It looks like this is your master socket.

You may be able to persuade BT to replace this with a modern NTE5 Mk3 socket which has the built in filtering for broadband. It would mean that this would also be where you plug your router in. Not sure if that would be convenient for you.

BTW the ring voltage is 90v AC, which can still give you a nasty shock!
    Originally posted by Mister G
    I'd like that to be the master socket! It already has phone and router plugged into it. But it seems to come in through the front door into a box above the door then down the wall, through the wall to the mess in the third picture here:

https://imgur.com/a/7ASGf

And then out of there and two that socket you mention. Or is the red wire coming from somewhere else?

I just want to get rid of everything but a master socket. I want it in the living room, either where the mess hanging off the wall is, or the one that currently has the phone plugged in and you suggest could already be the master socket.

I want to disconnect and pull out everything else.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 10th Sep 17, 11:24 AM
    • 2,329 Posts
    • 619 Thanks
    AndyPK
    as said, the one hanging off the wall is the master socket.

Yes BT / OR may come and replace this, although it would be a bigger box and stick out further, so you need to decide what exactly tidy is in your definition.

i.e just screw it to the wall and it would be tidy.

and would a bigger box that sticks out further be ugly?

The red wire appears to go upstairs, maybe to the bedroom socket.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 10th Sep 17, 11:29 AM
    • 399 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    Mister G
    Any wiring before the master socket is solely the responsibility of Openreach (OR).

Looking at your photos, it is apparent that the wiring has 'evolved' over many years.

If you can get OR in to just replace your master socket, then you can remove any other wiring yourself, as it should then be dead.

It would be useful if you are present when they do the work, as you can quite often 'shame' the engineer into tidying up their mess.
    Last edited by Mister G; 10-09-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

221Posts Today

1,545Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin