Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Possom
    • By Possom 9th Sep 17, 6:09 PM
    • 395Posts
    • 14Thanks
    Possom
    Possible to have old gas pipe reduced?
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:09 PM
    Possible to have old gas pipe reduced? 9th Sep 17 at 6:09 PM
    Many older houses in Belfast will have originally have had a gas meter under the stairs. These were removed in 1980s, and the gas pipe under the stairs capped.

This means there's an old capped gas pipe (from the original Belfast gas network) under the stairs protruding perhaps 30cm up from the floor. Very inconvenient, as this would be an ideal space to push in the electric lawnmower.

Has anyone here ever contacted either Phoenix Gas, or your gas supplier, or a Gas-Safe registered engineer to determine if this can be cut down to floor level and re-capped?
Page 1
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 9th Sep 17, 6:36 PM
    • 4,262 Posts
    • 5,476 Thanks
    jack_pott
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:36 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:36 PM
    I was thinking of having mine removed and then decided it probably wasn't worth the cost. Let me know how much they want to charge you....
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 9th Sep 17, 6:42 PM
    • 10,297 Posts
    • 9,340 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:42 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:42 PM
    Is the pipe steel? Does it have a valve on it? are you sure its dead? Is it close to any electrical apparatus?
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • Ticked
    • By Ticked 9th Sep 17, 6:44 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    Ticked
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:44 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:44 PM
    These old pipes were usually lead, easily bent over below floor level - unless it's a solid floor, then I would cut it off and bung a cork in it. �� Any good plumber should be able to do a proper and safe job with it.
    • Possom
    • By Possom 9th Sep 17, 6:52 PM
    • 395 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Possom
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:52 PM
    Is the pipe steel? Does it have a valve on it? are you sure its dead? Is it close to any electrical apparatus?
    Originally posted by C_Mababejive
    It's definitely dead as it's the original gas pipe to the Belfast gas meters which were taken out in the 80's. The Gasworks (at the bottom of the Ormeau Rd) closed a long time ago.

I recognise it, as I'v seen them in several other relatives Belfast homes.

I wouldn't describe it as a valve as such, just the usual metal cap which was placed on the end of the pipe when the old meters were removed.
    • lemontart
    • By lemontart 9th Sep 17, 6:52 PM
    • 5,824 Posts
    • 7,408 Thanks
    lemontart
    These old pipes were usually lead, easily bent over below floor level - unless it's a solid floor, then I would cut it off and bung a cork in it. �� Any good plumber should be able to do a proper and safe job with it.
    Originally posted by Ticked
    Depends if it is the pipe before or after the gas valve, if before plumber not permitted to touch it.
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 10th Sep 17, 5:25 PM
    • 10,297 Posts
    • 9,340 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 10th Sep 17, 5:25 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 5:25 PM
    If its dead then it seems possible that you could just hacksaw it off,,but then you would be advised to cap it as it could still act as a conduit from outside to inside of any external leakage ? Trouble is if you hacksaw it, can you thread it to take a cap ?
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • Possom
    • By Possom 10th Sep 17, 8:16 PM
    • 395 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Possom
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:16 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:16 PM
    Trouble is if you hacksaw it, can you thread it to take a cap ?
    Originally posted by C_Mababejive
    I certainly couldn't, no.
    • KiwiCoop
    • By KiwiCoop 11th Sep 17, 5:58 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    KiwiCoop
    • 11th Sep 17, 5:58 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 5:58 PM
    Any I've come across are steel and it takes about two minutes to fetch my 9" grinder, attach a metal cutting blade to it and chop the pipe off at floor level.
    • Possom
    • By Possom 11th Sep 17, 9:42 PM
    • 395 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Possom
    Any I've come across are steel and it takes about two minutes to fetch my 9" grinder, attach a metal cutting blade to it and chop the pipe off at floor level.
    Originally posted by KiwiCoop
    Do you re-cap the cut pipe?
    • Wookey
    • By Wookey 12th Sep 17, 12:09 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    Wookey
    Originally posted by Possom
    The only concern would be residual gas still lying within the old pipework as it's impossible to know how well (if at all) the old pipework was purged, if you do cut it of pump it full of silicone sealant and make sure it is well pushed in.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
    • KiwiCoop
    • By KiwiCoop 12th Sep 17, 5:54 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    KiwiCoop
    Originally posted by Possom
    No. You could put some flooring over it or throw a stiff mix of mortar down it or just leave it. Trip hazard for mice though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,018Posts Today

7,369Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks

• Interesting, most people say they would champion a policy from a party they usually oppose. Yet is anyone brave eno? https://t.co/MWYGHunAqu

• RT @MSE_Deals: The MSE deals team are in the office nice and early to bring you full analysis of all the #BlackFriday deals throughout the?

• Follow Martin