Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SassyP2004
    • By SassyP2004 9th Sep 17, 5:56 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    SassyP2004
    Buying a house with an annexe
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:56 PM
    Buying a house with an annexe 9th Sep 17 at 5:56 PM
    Really grateful for any advice here. We are relocating and have found our dream home. Have a MIP and vendors have accepted our offer. Now our broker tells us we can get a mortgage on this place as it has a separate annexe and lenders don't like that, in case we rent it out to a tenant. We would like to airbnb the annexe for short holiday lettings. My question is, could we qualify for a buy to let mortgage, to get around this issue - even though we would also be living there. We only need a very small mortgage. Alternatively, would it be feasible for the vendor to sell us the main house - which we could pay cash for, and then buy the annexe separately with a small buy to let mortgage? Not sure what the implications would be for the vendor? Also I'm assuming this would affect the stamp duty, as the main house would probably be valued below £350k. Oh, and the annexe already attracts its own Council Tax. Thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Sep 17, 6:00 PM
    • 60,668 Posts
    • 354,602 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:00 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:00 PM
    .... airbnb the annexe for short holiday lettings. ...
    Originally posted by SassyP2004
    Aside from your other issues... you need to check if this is OK locally. The Council would be able to advise. You might need planning permission for change of use, or a special "holiday lets" permission or something. Every area has different rules/schemes. Find out what restrictions might be a problem in the area where that house is.
    • SassyP2004
    • By SassyP2004 9th Sep 17, 6:06 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SassyP2004
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:06 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:06 PM
    Thanks for your reply. The annexe was previously let for holidays through the national tourist board, so no issues there.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

409Posts Today

5,194Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin