Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Antony09
    • By Antony09 9th Sep 17, 5:54 PM
    • 51Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Antony09
    What could this be? (New build)
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:54 PM
    What could this be? (New build) 9th Sep 17 at 5:54 PM
    Hi guys
    Hoping I can get some advice. So I've lived in a new build for two years the house is mortgaged to me. I'm the first owner etc. I've noticed in the past month or so the roof of my bedroom (which is an exterior wall) has began to get dark. Initially I thought it may be a shadow but over the past week three friends have commented and I've noticed it's happening on the same wall in the hallway and bathroom. If it's a problem I'm assuming it'll be covered on the ten year warranty but wondered if you guys here had any thoughts on what it could be?
    For some reason the images won't embed?? Links below
    https://ibb.co/mydopF
    https://ibb.co/cfXsGv
    https://ibb.co/jnEiOa
    Thanks
    Antony
Page 1
    • Furts
    • By Furts 9th Sep 17, 6:18 PM
    • 3,569 Posts
    • 2,233 Thanks
    Furts
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:18 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:18 PM
    Damp and probable condensation comes to mind. Likewise cold spots caused by cold bridging and poor, or absent, insulation. Knowing the roof detailing above would be needed to firm up any thoughts, but there is a flaw in all of this. Most likely you have only a two year builders defect cover, so you have no chance of the builder doing anything. This is because you are too late to notify them - you say you have been there for two years.

Two actions are possible - a goodwill investigation by the builder, or trying a structural defect/major damage claim against NHBC, or whoever has written the ten year warranty.

Try the builder first,in writing with copies of this. But be realistic and be humble. You have been given two years period of time to check and snag your home. An ample period of time, so if there is a defect then the builder could rightly respond that you have failed in your duty of care and been tardy. Consequently the builder may not be co-operative.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 9th Sep 17, 6:53 PM
    • 3,357 Posts
    • 5,732 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:53 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:53 PM
    If it's an external wall have you checked the guttering? Do you open windows regularly to air the place? Are they the rooms you use most often?
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 9th Sep 17, 7:03 PM
    • 23,969 Posts
    • 66,531 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:03 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:03 PM
    Pictures of the outside of that wall would be good.

Any trees nearby? Blocked guttering springs to mind.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Antony09
    • By Antony09 9th Sep 17, 7:40 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Antony09
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:40 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:40 PM
    Cheers for the replies really appreciated.

Yes the hallway window is open a lot as is the bathroom and my bedroom. I don't air any clothes in there or anything like that.

Here are a few pictures of the exterior wall

https://ibb.co/eUgVKF
    https://ibb.co/hisRta
    https://ibb.co/kv5qKF

No trees nearby either...
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 9th Sep 17, 7:48 PM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 2,230 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:48 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:48 PM
    Does it feel damp?
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 9th Sep 17, 7:50 PM
    • 23,969 Posts
    • 66,531 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:50 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:50 PM
    Is that staining on the soffit near the wall too?

I'd say it's definitely something to do with the guttering. Spilling over towards the inside and then running along the soffits.
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 09-09-2017 at 8:33 PM.
    • Antony09
    • By Antony09 9th Sep 17, 7:58 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Antony09
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:58 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:58 PM
    If the softbit is the white bit I've just leant out the hallway window and felt it. Stone dry as is the wall even after all this rain we've had!

• Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 9th Sep 17, 8:25 PM
    • 23,969 Posts
    • 66,531 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:25 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:25 PM
    Soffit. I can see it's uPVC so it wouldn't show anything on the underside if there's a leak.

I'm sure it's not a coincidence that this is appearing in a line across your upstairs walls where there's guttering on the other side.

If it's only been going on for a month then there may not be any evidence on the outside wall when it's not raining, especially if it gets the light.

The gutter needs checking when it's actually raining.

Have you touched the areas inside? Cold? Clammy?

If you're outside the original two year defect period then I doubt it's something that your NHBC cover will touch. They don't seem to cover much at all. Get it sorted quickly and I don't think it will be an expensive fix.
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 09-09-2017 at 8:36 PM.
    • Furts
    • By Furts 10th Sep 17, 7:20 AM
    • 3,569 Posts
    • 2,233 Thanks
    Furts
    Good to see the photos. You have a conventional roof and soffit detail. Interesting window venting detail too - has this been checked for connection and integrity? Plus what trickle vent/opening detail do you have and what control is there here?

It is unlikely to be a gutter leak, or blockage. The reason being the gutter is fixed way past your outer brickwork, whilst your marks are on your inner face of a cavity wall. I still sway towards my earlier comments - check cold bridging, and lack of insulation - been there before on this one!

Lifestyle also plays a part, so tehe builder could blame excessive moisture levels within the home. Whilst this may be boll--ks, it is a stock reply from builders and NHBC, so forewarned is fore armed.

Best of luck, and keep us posted.
    • vw100
    • By vw100 11th Sep 17, 4:22 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    vw100
    I have seen this sort of thing before, if not slightly worse. I suspect it lack of insulation above the ceiling or some cold spots.

I think if you got some house hold cleaner and gave it a wipe you should be able to remove some of it.

NHBC warranty I doubt they will do anything and blame lifestyle type of issue.
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 11th Sep 17, 5:40 PM
    • 2,851 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    Check that the insulation in the loft is right up to the eaves (it should be as close as it can get without blocking airflow to the eaves ventilation so there should be a slight gap).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

34Posts Today

4,270Users online

Martin's Twitter