Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hannahh182
    • By Hannahh182 9th Sep 17, 5:48 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Hannahh182
    MLMs - Scentsy, PartyLite, Younique etc.
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:48 PM
    MLMs - Scentsy, PartyLite, Younique etc. 9th Sep 17 at 5:48 PM
    Hi,

I'm a full-time teacher and was thinking of joining a MLM to boost my income. I obviously don't have loads of spare time to work, but (as strange as it sounds!!) I thought it would be something that I could use as more of a hobby and something to take my mind off the stresses of school. At the same time, I don't want to do it for the sake of it and end up losing money and getting overly stressed with it. Just an extra £100 a month would do nicely!

I was really interested in joining Scentsy because myself and my friends are into Yankee candles but the prices are so high I wasn't sure I'd actually get any sales. I've seen PartyLite too, but not sure if anyone would want to buy candles that they haven't heard of/smelt.

My friend has a 1 year old and is doing Younique at the moment, which I also feel is overpriced, and Avon seems to have oversaturated the market (I've done it once before years ago). In a dream world, I would love to own my own business and even maybe go part-time!

Anyone got any other companies or any advice/experience in this field?
Page 1
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 10th Sep 17, 2:49 PM
    • 9,641 Posts
    • 7,633 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 10th Sep 17, 2:49 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 2:49 PM
    If you search the board there are plenty of threads about MLMs, mostly uncomplimentary except those by persons with a vested interest. No experience but my advice is don't bother.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th Sep 17, 5:14 PM
    • 59,097 Posts
    • 41,881 Thanks
    soolin
    • 10th Sep 17, 5:14 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 5:14 PM
    I'm afraid I also echo Lincroft's post- MLM 'party' selling is not a quick option to make money, only to lose friends. How many times can you tap your friends to host a party before they start avoiding you, how many 'pity' sales can you make before people stop buying?

You will have to go out and work to get parties, or to sell via door to door catalogue sales (depending on which you choose), then follow up to collect money, handle non payers and then deliver anything you've sold. Then to start increasing your team you will have to persuade your friends to sign up to pay for their own pack, and then compete with them to target your pool of friends to host more parties.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Spendingqueen
    • By Spendingqueen 11th Sep 17, 7:03 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Spendingqueen
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:03 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:03 AM
    I think as a teacher you would probably do best offering tutoring services either TEFL throughout the year or helping students near GCSE / SATS time
    • wongawonga
    • By wongawonga 11th Sep 17, 9:11 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    wongawonga
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:11 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:11 PM
    No surprise here then along comes a Scentsy Rep touting for recruits in breach of site rules.

( Thanked in error can't remove.)
    • Beartricks
    • By Beartricks 11th Sep 17, 10:21 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    Beartricks
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:21 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:21 PM
    MLMs seem to be a bit of an ongoing joke online. They're generally considered to be something of a scam.
    • Fallen-Angel
    • By Fallen-Angel 20th Sep 17, 9:24 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 3,647 Thanks
    Fallen-Angel
    • 20th Sep 17, 9:24 PM
    • 20th Sep 17, 9:24 PM
    Ex Younique rep here. I did it for almost 2 years and the most I made in one month was £100 profit on my first Christmas. I never had a month as good as that again, I was lucky to hit £10 a month if anything. I also did Jamberry and didn't make any profit.

Most people struggle to earn back the start up fee. The products are expensive and on par with low end brands on the most part.

Have a read of Elle Beau - The Anti Blogger. She decided to document her Younique journey after she got out. This wasn't exactly the same as my journey but I saw a lot of what happened to her from within.

**This isn't my blog**
    Mother to an 8 year old. Wife to an engineer.

Baker. Gamer. Rocker. Blogger. Geek.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 21st Sep 17, 2:59 PM
    • 9,641 Posts
    • 7,633 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 21st Sep 17, 2:59 PM
    • 21st Sep 17, 2:59 PM
    Ex Younique rep here. I did it for almost 2 years and the most I made in one month was £100 profit on my first Christmas. I never had a month as good as that again, I was lucky to hit £10 a month if anything
    Originally posted by Fallen-Angel
    How many hours did you spend to get the £100 profit and how many to get £10 profit?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

286Posts Today

3,566Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin