Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hannahh182
    • By Hannahh182 9th Sep 17, 5:48 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Hannahh182
    MLMs - Scentsy, PartyLite, Younique etc.
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:48 PM
    MLMs - Scentsy, PartyLite, Younique etc. 9th Sep 17 at 5:48 PM
    Hi,

I'm a full-time teacher and was thinking of joining a MLM to boost my income. I obviously don't have loads of spare time to work, but (as strange as it sounds!!) I thought it would be something that I could use as more of a hobby and something to take my mind off the stresses of school. At the same time, I don't want to do it for the sake of it and end up losing money and getting overly stressed with it. Just an extra £100 a month would do nicely!

I was really interested in joining Scentsy because myself and my friends are into Yankee candles but the prices are so high I wasn't sure I'd actually get any sales. I've seen PartyLite too, but not sure if anyone would want to buy candles that they haven't heard of/smelt.

My friend has a 1 year old and is doing Younique at the moment, which I also feel is overpriced, and Avon seems to have oversaturated the market (I've done it once before years ago). In a dream world, I would love to own my own business and even maybe go part-time!

Anyone got any other companies or any advice/experience in this field?
Page 1
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 10th Sep 17, 2:49 PM
    • 9,912 Posts
    • 7,982 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 10th Sep 17, 2:49 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 2:49 PM
    If you search the board there are plenty of threads about MLMs, mostly uncomplimentary except those by persons with a vested interest. No experience but my advice is don't bother.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th Sep 17, 5:14 PM
    • 59,471 Posts
    • 42,177 Thanks
    soolin
    • 10th Sep 17, 5:14 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 5:14 PM
    I'm afraid I also echo Lincroft's post- MLM 'party' selling is not a quick option to make money, only to lose friends. How many times can you tap your friends to host a party before they start avoiding you, how many 'pity' sales can you make before people stop buying?

You will have to go out and work to get parties, or to sell via door to door catalogue sales (depending on which you choose), then follow up to collect money, handle non payers and then deliver anything you've sold. Then to start increasing your team you will have to persuade your friends to sign up to pay for their own pack, and then compete with them to target your pool of friends to host more parties.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Spendingqueen
    • By Spendingqueen 11th Sep 17, 7:03 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Spendingqueen
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:03 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:03 AM
    I think as a teacher you would probably do best offering tutoring services either TEFL throughout the year or helping students near GCSE / SATS time
    • wongawonga
    • By wongawonga 11th Sep 17, 9:11 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    wongawonga
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:11 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:11 PM
    No surprise here then along comes a Scentsy Rep touting for recruits in breach of site rules.

( Thanked in error can't remove.)
    • Beartricks
    • By Beartricks 11th Sep 17, 10:21 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    Beartricks
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:21 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:21 PM
    MLMs seem to be a bit of an ongoing joke online. They're generally considered to be something of a scam.
    • Fallen-Angel
    • By Fallen-Angel 20th Sep 17, 9:24 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 3,716 Thanks
    Fallen-Angel
    • 20th Sep 17, 9:24 PM
    • 20th Sep 17, 9:24 PM
    Ex Younique rep here. I did it for almost 2 years and the most I made in one month was £100 profit on my first Christmas. I never had a month as good as that again, I was lucky to hit £10 a month if anything. I also did Jamberry and didn't make any profit.

Most people struggle to earn back the start up fee. The products are expensive and on par with low end brands on the most part.

Have a read of Elle Beau - The Anti Blogger. She decided to document her Younique journey after she got out. This wasn't exactly the same as my journey but I saw a lot of what happened to her from within.

**This isn't my blog**
    Mother to an 8 year old. Wife to an engineer.

Baker. Gamer. Rocker. Blogger. Geek.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 21st Sep 17, 2:59 PM
    • 9,912 Posts
    • 7,982 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 21st Sep 17, 2:59 PM
    • 21st Sep 17, 2:59 PM
    Ex Younique rep here. I did it for almost 2 years and the most I made in one month was £100 profit on my first Christmas. I never had a month as good as that again, I was lucky to hit £10 a month if anything
    Originally posted by Fallen-Angel
    How many hours did you spend to get the £100 profit and how many to get £10 profit?
    • ashe
    • By ashe 25th Sep 17, 7:38 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    ashe
    • 25th Sep 17, 7:38 PM
    • 25th Sep 17, 7:38 PM
    Look into matched betting instead, as itís two fold. Matched betting itself you can do for free via MSE or can pay for a site at about £15-20 per month that makes it easier. And with the paid sites you can refer people, although you donít need to be a paying member to do so.

Through matched betting I probably make about £700-1200 per month spending on the offers, all tax free, and through affiliate referrals I make a steady £110-140 a month which is great as it is passive income.

No need to know anything about betting. I often feel people that do MLM are daft when thereís schemes like these around!
    • Credit-Crunched
    • By Credit-Crunched 26th Sep 17, 5:42 PM
    • 2,081 Posts
    • 4,094 Thanks
    Credit-Crunched
    We have literally lost friends to MLM's. They become obsessed, its cult like. All she would talk about was her great products, and how we should try them. When we said no (stupid expensive snake oil) she said we were un supportive, negative and not needed in her life and will surround herself by people of the same mindset as her.

Quite a relief to us, as being sold to day in day out is tiring.

MLM = A way to lose friends, and money. Unless you sit at the top of the MLM triangle shaped object
    • ashe
    • By ashe 26th Sep 17, 6:06 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    ashe
    We have literally lost friends to MLM's. They become obsessed, its cult like. All she would talk about was her great products, and how we should try them. When we said no (stupid expensive snake oil) she said we were un supportive, negative and not needed in her life and will surround herself by people of the same mindset as her.

Quite a relief to us, as being sold to day in day out is tiring.

MLM = A way to lose friends, and money. Unless you sit at the top of the MLM triangle shaped object
    Originally posted by Credit-Crunched

Agree with all of that whole heartedly
    • Fallen-Angel
    • By Fallen-Angel 17th Oct 17, 10:55 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 3,716 Thanks
    Fallen-Angel
    How many hours did you spend to get the £100 profit and how many to get £10 profit?
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    Sorry, only just seen this.

That £100 was during November/December of my first year and I spent a lot of time "working it"; several hours a day for the whole festive period. Throwing parties, engaging with my group, creating images, working out how to break down sets and offer them at a discount, posting in selling groups, Christmas stalls and evenings lost trying to connect to people who weren't online until after work.

The £10 was less work but still posting daily, engaging with people on evenings to the point my husband got fed up of not having any time with me. Definitely not returning the effort in money terms.

• lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 17th Oct 17, 3:35 PM
    • 9,912 Posts
    • 7,982 Thanks
    lincroft1710

That £100 was during November/December of my first year and I spent a lot of time "working it"; several hours a day for the whole festive period. Throwing parties, engaging with my group, creating images, working out how to break down sets and offer them at a discount, posting in selling groups, Christmas stalls and evenings lost trying to connect to people who weren't online until after work.

The £10 was less work but still posting daily, engaging with people on evenings to the point my husband got fed up of not having any time with me. Definitely not returning the effort in money terms.
    Originally posted by Fallen-Angel
    So your earning rate per hour was minimal, well, well below NMW. I asked this question on (I think) the Avon thread a few years ago and received replies which can be paraphrased as that they didn't worry about how many hours they had to put in as they enjoyed the social aspect
    • Synergy83
    • By Synergy83 21st Oct 17, 7:54 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Synergy83
    i've been debating with myself over giving usborne books a try to make a little pocket money for myself but im not sure if i fancy messing around with taxes and then i also think that i buy a lot of kids books from charity shops so why would anyone buy full price from me, all the schools around me have sellers so i'd only really be trying to flog to my colleagues and though i might make a little at this time of year with people buying gifts it would drop off after, hah i think i just talked myself out of it writing this lol
    • ashe
    • By ashe 21st Oct 17, 7:57 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    ashe
    i've been debating with myself over giving usborne books a try to make a little pocket money for myself but im not sure if i fancy messing around with taxes and then i also think that i buy a lot of kids books from charity shops so why would anyone buy full price from me, all the schools around me have sellers so i'd only really be trying to flog to my colleagues and though i might make a little at this time of year with people buying gifts it would drop off after, hah i think i just talked myself out of it writing this lol
    Originally posted by Synergy83
    Honestly just check the matches betting forum on here, irs not as scary as it sounds and itís easy to make money. No tax involved
    • Synergy83
    • By Synergy83 21st Oct 17, 8:20 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Synergy83
    i keep looking at it but i used to work in a bookies and find it hard to get over the idea of the punter ever really winning
    • ashe
    • By ashe 21st Oct 17, 11:08 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    ashe
    i keep looking at it but i used to work in a bookies and find it hard to get over the idea of the punter ever really winning
    Originally posted by Synergy83
    The difference is that it doesnít matter if the bet wins or loses because you have both outcomes covered, then use the free bets to generate profit.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 22nd Oct 17, 6:16 AM
    • 31,871 Posts
    • 37,593 Thanks
    Browntoa
    Matched betting discussion is only allowed on that part of the forum , not here
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 22nd Oct 17, 9:15 AM
    • 59,471 Posts
    • 42,177 Thanks
    soolin
    As per browntoe's post matched betting discussions are only allowed on the appropriate board. I would also remind all users about Martin's warning on that board:

WARNING! Matched Betting needs MASSIVE caution. Not for beginners!
    This board’s for matched betting not gambling, that ISN’T MoneySaving. Mistakes can cost £1,000s.

The correct forum for these discussions and to which any further posts will be moved is

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Fallen-Angel
    • By Fallen-Angel 23rd Oct 17, 11:47 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 3,716 Thanks
    Fallen-Angel
    So your earning rate per hour was minimal, well, well below NMW. I asked this question on (I think) the Avon thread a few years ago and received replies which can be paraphrased as that they didn't worry about how many hours they had to put in as they enjoyed the social aspect
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    It was probably in the pence per hour if I'm completely honest, especially if I spread it out over the year and a half I did it.

Enjoying the social aspect sounds like a cop out to me. "Yeah, I don't earn much but I've made like 1 bajillion new friends from it who I talk to all day!" I used similar garbage when I tried to recruit others...I hate myself for that part of my life LOL

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,205Posts Today

6,369Users online

Martin's Twitter