Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Muscle750
    • By Muscle750 9th Sep 17, 5:39 PM
    • 889Posts
    • 271Thanks
    Muscle750
    Told cant have holiday
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:39 PM
    Told cant have holiday 9th Sep 17 at 5:39 PM
    Ive submitted my holiday form 2 months before i want to take them ive been told i cant have them because someone else is off, My holidays run from Jan to Dec and i get 30 days a year (yes im lucky). However with staffing levels as they are (skeleton) Surely its not my problem that they cant allow me to have my holidays when i want to take them, this isnt the first time ive been asked to work instead but im just getting fed up of it now.
Page 4
    • paddedjohn
    • By paddedjohn 13th Sep 17, 4:48 AM
    • 7,056 Posts
    • 7,720 Thanks
    paddedjohn
    does that include holiday rolling over? only asking as if we don't take full holiday by March it gets lost and can't be taken (which usually leads to a rush of holidays being taken between January and march.
    Originally posted by xXMessedUpXx
    Use it or lose it, you have a full 9 months before January to plan holidays.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 13th Sep 17, 7:19 AM
    • 518 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    Take holiday over???............I borrow from the next year. Must ring HR this morning and tell them how great they are and how much I love them....
    • BadBehaviour
    • By BadBehaviour 15th Oct 17, 7:57 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    BadBehaviour
    First come is a grossly unfair way to allocate holiday, although far from uncommon. It puts some individuals at a major disadvantage, for example part timers who may well come in for the first time after the board is unveiled to discover all the best dates have already been taken.
    Where I worked, everybody was told when the holiday spreadsheet was available, and there was a time period for all to put their preferences down. There was no limit on how many could request a particular date but, once the time period for application had closed, the manager would look at any period where too many wanted time off. They would then look to see who had that period the previous year and put them to the bottom of the queue this time round. That prevented any individual from hogging the best dates every year.
    We actually had once instance where somebody had booked holiday because 'That's when I always have my holiday' was told they couldn't have the dates. Everybody was warned not to book holiday until the dates had been agreed.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    I work part time for a supermarket.

Was given holiday form with my holiday entitlement and dates to book well after most people (have no idea why) and so when I went to try and book Christmas Eve and Christmas Day nights off (since I have to use a taxi those nights to get to work as I have no other option) was told no because those dates were fully booked.

I worked Christmas night and Boxing Day night last year as well as New Year's day night (started in August 2016) so felt it was unfair that I am working Christmas Day night twice in a row but had to accept that.

I would have thought they would rotate who is off on dates like that rather than just go for first come, first served.
    It wasn't my fault I couldn't book them earlier.
    Last edited by BadBehaviour; 15-10-2017 at 8:00 PM.
    • hign10pines
    • By hign10pines 17th Oct 17, 6:05 PM
    • 359 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    hign10pines
    We have 18 (I think) requests per week that are annual leave. If you want a full week you request 3 shifts or you can just request the odd one. It all goes in the diary for the year, you check if there are spaces and put your name down, you then place it online.

Surveys 2017: Opinion Outpost - £5 £10 | Prolific - £20.55 £65
    Debt: £7462 | 1250 OD | 189 Aqua | 4773 Loan | 460 Lloyds | 435 Marbles | 355 Barclaycard
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 18th Oct 17, 5:14 PM
    • 2,673 Posts
    • 3,919 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    To ensure I get the days I want I've just booked my flexible holiday for the end of October 2018.

All flexible holiday for 2018 should be requested before 22nd Dec or they can/will be allocated by management.

First come first served, with only 3 people allowed off per shift of 30ish you have to plan ahead.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,105Posts Today

5,091Users online

Martin's Twitter