Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Muscle750
    • By Muscle750 9th Sep 17, 5:39 PM
    • 894Posts
    • 272Thanks
    Muscle750
    Told cant have holiday
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:39 PM
    Told cant have holiday 9th Sep 17 at 5:39 PM
    Ive submitted my holiday form 2 months before i want to take them ive been told i cant have them because someone else is off, My holidays run from Jan to Dec and i get 30 days a year (yes im lucky). However with staffing levels as they are (skeleton) Surely its not my problem that they cant allow me to have my holidays when i want to take them, this isnt the first time ive been asked to work instead but im just getting fed up of it now.
Page 2
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 10th Sep 17, 1:30 PM
    • 4,098 Posts
    • 4,227 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    Ive submitted my holiday form 2 months before i want to take them ive been told i cant have them because someone else is off, My holidays run from Jan to Dec and i get 30 days a year (yes im lucky).
    Originally posted by Muscle750
    If you don't put your holiday dates in until over half way through the year then it's not surprising that you aren't getting the dates you want, particularly if they are in the main holiday period. You need to get dates in at the beginning of the year, even if you have no firm plans at that time. That at least does give you dates you can rely on during the period of high demand.
    Any employer I have ever worked for has had a limit on the number / % of staff they allow to be off at any one time.
    • HardCoreProgrammer
    • By HardCoreProgrammer 10th Sep 17, 2:46 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    HardCoreProgrammer
    I am (not) surprised by the rudeness on this board.
    Less than 10 posts downs and there are people digging up OP's posting history and giving a thorough dressing down.
    Why not just answer the question and add "by the way, ..."? This is what I do at work when asked stupid questions. If I respond like some here, I do not expect to keep my job for long!

To OP, at our workplace it is worse. If you do not put in your request early enough, you will not be able to take time off and will lose your holiday entitlement for the year.
    As others told you, there is no automatic right to getting time off, so check company policy and stay on good terms with your colleagues.
    Remember that the employer has right to cancel leave even after approving (please refer to a thread I started about 4y ago), so count yourself lucky that they are saying no now, rather than 2w before when you have tickets booked, etc.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 10th Sep 17, 3:02 PM
    • 22,547 Posts
    • 56,175 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    Sometimes it doesn't matter how early you get your holiday request in ...

This June both me & my boss ended up on holiday for the same fortnight. Wasn't a major issue, we appointed a deputy, made sure everything was covered, nothing unexpected would come in, etc. Despite our preparation, on our return super-boss asked if we could avoid doing the same next year.

A month later, Monday morning, boss says "Can we talk about next year's holiday?" My response "Oh good, as we know which week we want, it's based around XYZ airshow ...." Bear in mind, this is 11 months away. It turns out that the airshow we want to visit, is the same date as his wife's *0th birthday - so we want the same weeks off again!
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 10th Sep 17, 5:26 PM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 1,770 Thanks
    steampowered
    Why can't you just ask for different dates?

If too many other people are off at that time, it makes sense that they are asking you to choose different dates.

If everyone is off at the same time, that isn't fair on the people who are left and have to pick up the slack. I prefer to work at places which have an organised approach to leave and don't let everybody go at the same time!
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 10th Sep 17, 5:44 PM
    • 30,282 Posts
    • 19,156 Thanks
    DCFC79
    I am (not) surprised by the rudeness on this board.
    Less than 10 posts downs and there are people digging up OP's posting history and giving a thorough dressing down.
    Why not just answer the question and add "by the way, ..."? This is what I do at work when asked stupid questions. If I respond like some here, I do not expect to keep my job for long!

To OP, at our workplace it is worse. If you do not put in your request early enough, you will not be able to take time off and will lose your holiday entitlement for the year.
    As others told you, there is no automatic right to getting time off, so check company policy and stay on good terms with your colleagues.
    Remember that the employer has right to cancel leave even after approving (please refer to a thread I started about 4y ago), so count yourself lucky that they are saying no now, rather than 2w before when you have tickets booked, etc.
    Originally posted by HardCoreProgrammer
    The OP has been given good advice before and I assume not been taken on board so why should advice be given again if the previous advice wasn't taken on board or something done about it.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 10th Sep 17, 7:25 PM
    • 18,783 Posts
    • 19,085 Thanks
    jobbingmusician

Originally posted by HardCoreProgrammer
    your company is behaving illegally - you are ENTITLED to your holiday and thus must be allowed to take it. If your employer wants to cancel your holiday, they must give at least as much notice as the length of the leave. And the gov.uk site is VERY clear - 'Although employers can refuse to give leave at a certain time, they can’t refuse to let workers take the leave at all.'
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 10th Sep 17, 7:38 PM
    • 8,514 Posts
    • 5,045 Thanks
    teddysmum
    The company my husband works for has a holiday chart for each department with a limited number of allowances on popular dates ie school holidays.

It's first come first served, but some like us, are happy to take dates out of peak times as our 'children' are adults.
    • polgara
    • By polgara 11th Sep 17, 10:30 AM
    • 326 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    polgara
    your company is behaving illegally - you are ENTITLED to your holiday and thus must be allowed to take it. If your employer wants to cancel your holiday, they must give at least as much notice as the length of the leave. And the gov.uk site is VERY clear - 'Although employers can refuse to give leave at a certain time, they can’t refuse to let workers take the leave at all.'
    Originally posted by jobbingmusician
    I can't see anything unlawful - unless they are saying you can't use your holiday leave, which isn't the same as saying 'you can't have those days'. As others have said they need to ask when they can have the leave.
    Last edited by polgara; 11-09-2017 at 10:40 AM.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 11th Sep 17, 11:04 AM
    • 2,674 Posts
    • 3,921 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    I can't see anything unlawful - unless they are saying you can't use your holiday leave, which isn't the same as saying 'you can't have those days'. As others have said they need to ask when they can have the leave.
    Originally posted by polgara
    jobbingmusician's reply was to HardCoreProgrammer

• TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 11th Sep 17, 12:42 PM
    • 6,034 Posts
    • 7,783 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    OP, it is frustrating, but as others have said, they are entitled to say no, and most employers will have limits on how many people can be off at once.

Is there any kind of office calendar so you can see when time is available? In my job, we have a calendar on the intranet where you can check, before making a holiday request, who is out on the dates you want, so that you can see whether the time is available and if it clashes, you can then address that when you make your request (for instance, I recently had a long weekend which overlapped with the friday of my colleague's week-long holiday. Normally we would not have the same time off but on this occasion I worked round it by making sure that my, and her, assistant had contact details for me and could get in touch if anything urgent came up. (had I booked my time first, I would have been willing to allow her to take the week off if she had been willing to be the emergency contact and to be available to access and respond to phone calls and e-mail if need be)

OP, if this is a recurring issue then check with your manager how far in advnace you are allowed to book time off and book earlier.

I currently have some days booked off as far ahead as next July, because there are specific events I wish to attend so it's crucial to book early. We have a 'first come, first served' system.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 11th Sep 17, 1:11 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    At my work we have a board and only one of us 5 can be off at the same time. First come basis. Unless it is holiday season. Like the 6 weeks for childrens holiday. Being told no for one holiday is disappointing but not uncomment.

Put in 3 different times and see how you get on. I dont agree a company can tell you when to take all your holiday. What if they wanted to give you 2 weeks in Nov and 2 in Jan. That said.....maybe I just work for a company with decent T&C.

Where I work you have to get it approved. If the board is booked I don't bother. The key is to be organised to be honest. If no one is off but they are short staffed with sickness of vacationers say. Thats they problem where I work and the Union would jump all over them.

However like I have said, I work for a decent company.
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 11-09-2017 at 1:20 PM.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 11th Sep 17, 1:26 PM
    • 4,098 Posts
    • 4,227 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    I dont agree a company can tell you when to take all your holiday. What if they wanted to give you 2 weeks in Nov and 2 in Jan. That said.....maybe I just work for a company with decent T&C.
    Originally posted by scd3scd4
    You may not like the fact that a company can dictate when holiday is taken, but it can. They could have fixed shut down periods for which annual holiday has to be retained, although it's probably unlikely given the amount of holiday people get now that all would be used for that. If a company decided it was going to close for a month, it would be perfectly within its rights.
    A company can also block out periods of the year when no holidays are permitted. The only limiting factor is that all staff must be allowed to take the legal minimum within the year.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 11th Sep 17, 1:34 PM
    • 4,098 Posts
    • 4,227 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    At my work we have a board and only one of us 5 can be off at the same time. First come basis.
    First come is a grossly unfair way to allocate holiday, although far from uncommon. It puts some individuals at a major disadvantage, for example part timers who may well come in for the first time after the board is unveiled to discover all the best dates have already been taken.
    Where I worked, everybody was told when the holiday spreadsheet was available, and there was a time period for all to put their preferences down. There was no limit on how many could request a particular date but, once the time period for application had closed, the manager would look at any period where too many wanted time off. They would then look to see who had that period the previous year and put them to the bottom of the queue this time round. That prevented any individual from hogging the best dates every year.
    We actually had once instance where somebody had booked holiday because 'That's when I always have my holiday' was told they couldn't have the dates. Everybody was warned not to book holiday until the dates had been agreed.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 11th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    You may not like the fact that a company can dictate when holiday is taken, but it can. They could have fixed shut down periods for which annual holiday has to be retained, although it's probably unlikely given the amount of holiday people get now that all would be used for that. If a company decided it was going to close for a month, it would be perfectly within its rights.
    A company can also block out periods of the year when no holidays are permitted. The only limiting factor is that all staff must be allowed to take the legal minimum within the year.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    I understand why and how it works like that for Fords say. I have family who use to work for them. I took that as read. I meant more the average company. Not production. For example, Bod you are having xx and John you are having xx

Like I said.......I suppose I just work for a decent company with a strong Union. Its not a case of liking I have never experienced it so only care from an academic viewpoint.
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 11-09-2017 at 2:00 PM.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 11th Sep 17, 1:58 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    First come is a grossly unfair way to allocate holiday, although far from uncommon. It puts some individuals at a major disadvantage, for example part timers who may well come in for the first time after the board is unveiled to discover all the best dates have already been taken.
    Where I worked, everybody was told when the holiday spreadsheet was available, and there was a time period for all to put their preferences down. There was no limit on how many could request a particular date but, once the time period for application had closed, the manager would look at any period where too many wanted time off. They would then look to see who had that period the previous year and put them to the bottom of the queue this time round. That prevented any individual from hogging the best dates every year.
    We actually had once instance where somebody had booked holiday because 'That's when I always have my holiday' was told they couldn't have the dates. Everybody was warned not to book holiday until the dates had been agreed.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    Thats not how it does or can work on a 24 hours, 7 day a week plant with 5 skilled controllers. Only one is off the others cover it with over/time or on a reserve shift. We dont have any part-timers. On peak periods managers will cover if need be.

We self govern ourselves and don't really need a manager for simple admin.

Its has worked pretty good for 20 years.

I just asked the wife who is a civil servant. She explained that many people do not know their whole years holiday on a set day in advance and would not want to work like that and so wont work in her office.
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 11-09-2017 at 3:19 PM.
    • bap98189
    • By bap98189 11th Sep 17, 2:03 PM
    • 2,526 Posts
    • 4,159 Thanks
    bap98189
    I dont agree a company can tell you when to take all your holiday. What if they wanted to give you 2 weeks in Nov and 2 in Jan. That said.....maybe I just work for a company with decent T&C.
    At my first job, we were told exactly when to take all of our holidays. The company closed down for 2 weeks at Christmas and 2 weeks in the summer and everyone had to take those days off. We also had to take the bank holidays as again the company closed down. Factory shutdowns are probably fairly rare nowadays, but a company operating in this way is perfectly legal and does still happen.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 11th Sep 17, 2:09 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    At my first job, we were told exactly when to take all of our holidays. The company closed down for 2 weeks at Christmas and 2 weeks in the summer and everyone had to take those days off. We also had to take the bank holidays as again the company closed down. Factory shutdowns are probably fairly rare nowadays, but a company operating in this way is perfectly legal and does still happen.
    Originally posted by bap98189

Yep, like I posted I understand that. I am not aware this OP works in production or the issue is "shutdowns"

I was replying to a company telling someone when to take holidays individually.

Incidentally. We have a two weeks shut down mid year and one at xmas and don't get told when to take holiday.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 11th Sep 17, 2:38 PM
    • 5,677 Posts
    • 27,924 Thanks
    bugslet
    At our place you have to take the days between Xmas and New Year off, other than that, it's a first come first served basis.

I think it's fair. We don't have any part timers and if someone new starts and they have holiday booked and it clashes with someone else who has already booked, then we just manage.

Been that way for 26 years.
    • leslieknope
    • By leslieknope 11th Sep 17, 5:20 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    leslieknope
    you are entitled to 30 days per holiday year but yes, an employer can deny your request if this does not fit business needs. take it off when there's not someone else off?
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 11th Sep 17, 6:35 PM
    • 30,262 Posts
    • 18,093 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Thats not how it does or can work on a 24 hours, 7 day a week plant with 5 skilled controllers. Only one is off the others cover it with over/time or on a reserve shift. We dont have any part-timers. On peak periods managers will cover if need be.

To cover 24/7/52 1 person on at all times, statutory holidays(no sick cover or overlaps) with 5 people you need contractual hours of 37.7hr per week.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,203Posts Today

7,407Users online

Martin's Twitter