Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Muscle750
    • By Muscle750 9th Sep 17, 5:39 PM
    • 888Posts
    • 270Thanks
    Muscle750
    Told cant have holiday
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:39 PM
    Told cant have holiday 9th Sep 17 at 5:39 PM
    Ive submitted my holiday form 2 months before i want to take them ive been told i cant have them because someone else is off, My holidays run from Jan to Dec and i get 30 days a year (yes im lucky). However with staffing levels as they are (skeleton) Surely its not my problem that they cant allow me to have my holidays when i want to take them, this isnt the first time ive been asked to work instead but im just getting fed up of it now.
Page 1
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 9th Sep 17, 5:51 PM
    • 30,197 Posts
    • 18,051 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:51 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:51 PM
    The employer can decide when you take all your holiday.

If the dates you ant are not suitable ask them which dates are suitable to take your holiday so you don't end up having to carry them over.
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 9th Sep 17, 6:03 PM
    • 5,689 Posts
    • 7,158 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:03 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:03 PM
    I would leave, problem solved.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 9th Sep 17, 6:05 PM
    • 4,019 Posts
    • 6,502 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:05 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:05 PM
    Ive submitted my holiday form 2 months before i want to take them ive been told i cant have them because someone else is off, My holidays run from Jan to Dec and i get 30 days a year (yes im lucky). However with staffing levels as they are (skeleton) Surely its not my problem that they cant allow me to have my holidays when i want to take them, this isnt the first time ive been asked to work instead but im just getting fed up of it now.
    Originally posted by Muscle750
    As stated, they can tell you when you can and can't take holidays, so yes, it's your problem. All the employer is required to do is to permit you to take them at some point in the holiday year. So either find some dates that are suitable to them, or ask them to do so for you.
    • anamenottaken
    • By anamenottaken 9th Sep 17, 6:11 PM
    • 3,995 Posts
    • 3,451 Thanks
    anamenottaken
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:11 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:11 PM
    Well, assuming you are contracted for at least 5 days a week, they have to let you take at least 28 days in the year.

Make another selection for when you would like time off and say that if that is not acceptable to please tell you when you will be able to take the holiday before the year end.

Sadly it is your problem if they can't allow you to take your holidays exactly when you want them, no matter how long in advance you request them. What is their problem is ensuring that you do have the paid holiday time to which you are entitled at some time during the holiday year.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 9th Sep 17, 6:20 PM
    • 2,909 Posts
    • 1,511 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:20 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:20 PM
    Vote with your feet. Did this to a company I worked at for 9 months where taking holiday wasn't a priority. Ever. During the complete time. Their loss. I got out before the grievance, while they pandered to people who would go sick for the littlest things and who would be the first to refuse to help but who they would rather talk into staying. In the end I couldn't even feel sad about it and just recognised it as poor management.

What is posting on here going to achieve for you? Unless your hoping your employer works out who you are.
    You know what sort of response you are going to get if you aren't some poor unknowing first time poster, who then has their thread deleted.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • stuartJo1989
    • By stuartJo1989 9th Sep 17, 7:31 PM
    • 222 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    stuartJo1989
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:31 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:31 PM
    Sometimes the answer is no.

For some reason people can never quite comprehend that! I used to manage and I started off being very accommodating. "Sure, it will leave us short but I'll run round and try to get cover" was my line.

Then it got to the point where I realised that I physically couldn't find cover, and that's when the "no" cropped in.

That's when I suddenly realized that people generally don't respect the boundaries/processes. They just want to hear the "yes", they don't give a monkeys beyond that. They either have no comprehension of the word "no", or they aren't actually putting in a holiday request but rather a holiday demand

To be honest though, I actually had more respect for the people who (blatantly, I might add, although usually not provable) recognised the staffing deficit and rung in sick because they knew that a holiday would never be approved! Or those who put in holidays around work schedules (I loved those people!).

If I were your boss I'd probably sit down and discuss the reasons for the decision and offer you alternative dates. As you've submitted the request, I would also be compelled to consider going down the discipline route if you ended up being off sick during that period of time. But that's just me, not necessarily how others would do it.
    Last edited by stuartJo1989; 09-09-2017 at 7:34 PM.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 9th Sep 17, 7:35 PM
    • 4,019 Posts
    • 6,502 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:35 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:35 PM

What is posting on here going to achieve for you? Unless your hoping your employer works out who you are.
    You know what sort of response you are going to get if you aren't some poor unknowing first time poster, who then has their thread deleted.
    Originally posted by keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    What is this supposed to mean? Is there anything in the advice here that is legally incorrect? No. The OP asked a question and they were given an answer. The correct answer. Now if that is sufficient to cause them to wish to leave their job, that's up to them. But you, on the other hand, just keep on slating other posters for things they haven't done, and slating the site. If you have such a low opinion, why exactly are you here? Since you appear to not be some "poor unknowing first time posters", if you don't like the site, perhaps you should sling your hook? Unless, of course, you write the laws, in which case you could rewrite them to suit people, then the answers would be what they want them to be and not what they actually are.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 9th Sep 17, 7:41 PM
    • 4,917 Posts
    • 6,143 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:41 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:41 PM
    Nearly all employers would have to say no if too many staff all asked to be off at the same time, they need some people in. Talk to your employer as soon as you start thinking about dates for leave and before setting your heart on them.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 9th Sep 17, 8:50 PM
    • 1,616 Posts
    • 3,321 Thanks
    IAmWales
    You've been complaining about this since 2013! You've been given the same advice time and time again.

I've little sympathy for someone that fails to do anything to improve their situation in four years.
    • Muscle750
    • By Muscle750 10th Sep 17, 8:13 AM
    • 888 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    Muscle750
    [QUOTE=IAmWales;73103160]You've been complaining about this since 2013! You've been given the same advice time and time again.

I've little sympathy for someone that fails to do anything to improve their situation in four years.[/QUOTEAnd instead of making such comment please enlighten me how i can improve the situation i get 30 days holiday plus all the bank hols xmas etc so after 20 years plus in same company with pensions etc please tell me i must be missing something
    • Muscle750
    • By Muscle750 10th Sep 17, 8:14 AM
    • 888 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    Muscle750
    There again i could go on the dole and have one constant holiday an expect the state to pay my way........................idiot
    • -taff
    • By -taff 10th Sep 17, 8:40 AM
    • 7,096 Posts
    • 5,088 Thanks
    -taff
    Ive submitted my holiday form 2 months before i want to take them ive been told i cant have them because someone else is off
    please enlighten me how i can improve the situation .... please tell me i must be missing something

Put your holidays in before everyone else for a change?
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 10th Sep 17, 8:45 AM
    • 4,019 Posts
    • 6,502 Thanks
    sangie595
    There again i could go on the dole and have one constant holiday an expect the state to pay my way........................idiot
    I don't realise that you had worked for the same company for 20 years, nor that this happens to you every year. I'm just wondering.... After 20 years, haven't you grasped the policy regarding booking of holidays? You must know this will happen at times, so why not be first in the queue for booking? Given that it is now September, you must have been pretty much the last one!
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 10th Sep 17, 10:21 AM
    • 5,690 Posts
    • 5,305 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    Ive submitted my holiday form 2 months before i want to take them
    Do you work not allow you to give notice sooner ?
    Although I believe there is a legislation covering the minimum amount of notice for holidays, as far as I'm aware there's no maximum, and in most of the places I've worked we'd be expected to request most of our holiday dates towards the start of the holiday year, especially if it's more than a single day or two.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 10th Sep 17, 10:34 AM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 1,318 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    This used to happen in my old workplace. I was frequently told no, particularly if it was school holidays and lots of people wanted the same dates. Could you get your request in sooner? Unless the same people always get priority then its just part of work life unfortunately.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 10th Sep 17, 11:15 AM
    • 1,616 Posts
    • 3,321 Thanks
    IAmWales
    And instead of making such comment please enlighten me how i can improve the situation i get 30 days holiday plus all the bank hols xmas etc so after 20 years plus in same company with pensions etc please tell me i must be missing something
    Book your holidays earlier.
    Negotiate a new holiday booking system.
    Find a new job.

Or you could do nothing and post exactly the same thing in twelve months time.
    • flightboy
    • By flightboy 10th Sep 17, 12:18 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    flightboy
    Why dont you do what many people do with me...book earlier in the year so they get first dibs on the holiday dates/bank holidays/Christmas. Most book the dates most desired and then change later in the year if they need too

Failing that just speak to your manager and ask for a list of dates available putting the onus on them to find dates

Really not as hard as its being made
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 10th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 30,197 Posts
    • 18,051 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Why dont you do what many people do with me...book earlier in the year so they get first dibs on the holiday dates/bank holidays/Christmas. Most book the dates most desired and then change later in the year if they need too

Failing that just speak to your manager and ask for a list of dates available putting the onus on them to find dates

Really not as hard as its being made
    Originally posted by flightboy
    the company can always refuse to let them change.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 10th Sep 17, 12:27 PM
    • 2,672 Posts
    • 3,919 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    At our place our flexible days and service days are booked on a first come first served basis with only 2 people of per section at a time.

This does lead to a rush to book the popular times when the year planner is released (around the start of October usually).

Last year I had my request form filled out ready and went to see the manager before shift start on the day the calendar was released to ensure I got the days I wanted.

Holidays should all be booked by end of February or they can be allocated by management, although depending on the manager they can be flexible and I've never known them to stick to this.

Everyone knows the rules and there is rarely an issue.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

109Posts Today

1,547Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin