Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tinkertailor4567
    • By Tinkertailor4567 9th Sep 17, 5:27 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Tinkertailor4567
    Flight delayed from turkey for 24hrs due to hurricane Irma
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:27 PM
    Flight delayed from turkey for 24hrs due to hurricane Irma 9th Sep 17 at 5:27 PM
    Hi

I'm currently in turkey and was supposed to be flying back to the uk today. As we were checking out at midday we were informed that the flight was being delayed for 24hrs due to the aeroplane currently being stuck in Orlando Florida. I've since looked and planes are flying out of Orlando until 8pm edt. Our flight is cancelled on the airports departures, and I think it's likely they've used the plane to bring travellers back before the storm hits later, which is understandable given the situation.

Luckily, as the original flight didn't arrive from the
    U.K., we are able to remain in our hotel as no new guests came to replace us, and we won't incur any costs for food and drink as we are in an all inclusive.

The downside is that we were previously going to be arriving home early tomorrow (Sunday) morning. This will now be meaning that we arrive early Monday and me and my partner will be missing a day off work. Neither of us will be paid as we are contractors and the loss would be a fair amount.

We've got comprehensive travel insurance but they won't cover any losses over medical costs and personal possessions, like most won't.

I've read up on the eu compensation scheme and with us being indirectly affected as the result of an atypical cyclone we may get some compensation; directly you get nothing. Has anyone got any insight in this area?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 9th Sep 17, 6:23 PM
    • 1,013 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    Justice13075
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:23 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:23 PM
    You are due compensation as this is classed as a knock on. Google and download Vaubans guide all explained in there. Can you put this on the correct thread for your airline.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 9th Sep 17, 6:26 PM
    • 10,843 Posts
    • 7,074 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:26 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:26 PM
    Search for Vauban's Guide (google)
    You 'may' be entitled to EU261 compensation given that weather is from a previous rotation it is a knock-on delay
    EU261 Duty of Care does apply whatever the reason...accommodation and meals during the delay
    loss of earnings is a consequential loss and airlines not liable (for next time it may be worth looking for an insurance policy that does cover this)
    • JPears
    • By JPears 9th Sep 17, 7:30 PM
    • 3,255 Posts
    • 910 Thanks
    JPears
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:30 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:30 PM
    However, if the airline is a member of an ADR, you may be able to claim consequential losses
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Tinkertailor4567
    • By Tinkertailor4567 9th Sep 17, 8:19 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tinkertailor4567
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:19 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:19 PM
    Ok thanks for the replies, I'll look into the form when back. I'm on mobile so can't see how to move the post easily. It's with Thomson and they're listed as ADR.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,105Posts Today

5,091Users online

Martin's Twitter