Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rock_007
    • By Rock_007 9th Sep 17, 5:23 PM
    • 56Posts
    • 14Thanks
    Rock_007
    Installing shower 3-core Cable 10mm2- under the Wall
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:23 PM
    Installing shower 3-core Cable 10mm2- under the Wall 9th Sep 17 at 5:23 PM
    hi,

I am laying the 10mm 3-core cable into the wall, i was struggling before but later found the route to the artic the only problem i am facing now to dig the right amount ( i believe that i won't be able to do much deeper ) as yet i hardly able to do 2cm deep and i can see some stone at the back(photo) so i might need some conduit or something similar . is some one can please advise me about the right conduit to buy as i am not sure for the size and where to get it from and the minimum depth that i needs to go ignorer to lay the cable.

Pics in below post.
    Last edited by Rock_007; 09-09-2017 at 7:20 PM.
Page 1
    • Rock_007
    • By Rock_007 9th Sep 17, 5:25 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Rock_007
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:25 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:25 PM
    Cable pic and wall pics

wall plaster pic and cable picture

i really appreciate any comments or advise
    Last edited by Rock_007; 09-09-2017 at 7:18 PM.
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 9th Sep 17, 7:21 PM
    • 737 Posts
    • 636 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:21 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:21 PM
    I'd cut a shallow channel into the brick using angle grinder to get the cable deep enough. Just be prepared for a lot of dust.
    • Rock_007
    • By Rock_007 9th Sep 17, 7:28 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Rock_007
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:28 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:28 PM
    thank for the reply, i am a bit worried about the stone behind the plaster as it doesn't look like a normal brick and when i drill into the wall black dust comes out, any idea what it could be.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 9th Sep 17, 7:41 PM
    • 7,546 Posts
    • 8,029 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:41 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:41 PM
    I don't know why you're using that sort of cable (I can guess at one reason - RCd and permitted zones) but 10mm flat Twin and Earth would be a lot easier to bury.

You're going to have to chase a slot into the brick/stone underneath to bury it sufficiently thick.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 9th Sep 17, 7:53 PM
    • 17,330 Posts
    • 11,517 Thanks
    molerat
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:53 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:53 PM
    thank for the reply, i am a bit worried about the stone behind the plaster as it doesn't look like a normal brick and when i drill into the wall black dust comes out, any idea what it could be.
    Originally posted by Rock_007
    Is it quite soft, looks like cinder block to me.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 9th Sep 17, 8:58 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 1,933 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:58 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:58 PM
    I'd cut a shallow channel into the brick using angle grinder to get the cable deep enough. Just be prepared for a lot of dust.
    Originally posted by tacpot12
    A wall chaser attached to a suitable vacuum cleaner would be preferable. Still dusty work, and the OP should use a good quality dust mask & goggles. It would be a good idea to seal the doorway and open any windows, but dust will still go everywhere in the house. Tip - A squirty bottle to spray water around in the room after any cutting will help to reduce the dust cloud.

The real messy option is an angle grinder with a diamond disk...

A 25mm deep channel will be ample for the cable - Just make sure any vertical chases are no more than 30mm deep (assuming standard size brick cavity wall). The routing of the cable also needs to be in a recognised "safe zone", usually within 150mm of a corner or directly in line with a switch.

As this is in a wet area, the work becomes notifiable to building control and needs to be signed off when completed.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • Rock_007
    • By Rock_007 10th Sep 17, 6:25 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Rock_007
    • 10th Sep 17, 6:25 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 6:25 PM
    I don't know why you're using that sort of cable (I can guess at one reason - RCd and permitted zones) but 10mm flat Twin and Earth would be a lot easier to bury.

You're going to have to chase a slot into the brick/stone underneath to bury it sufficiently thick.
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver

to be honest i am not much an electric guy, i just looked around and bought it through eBay, i wouldnt have if i knew that.
    • Rock_007
    • By Rock_007 10th Sep 17, 6:35 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Rock_007
    • 10th Sep 17, 6:35 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 6:35 PM

Originally posted by molerat
    A wall chaser attached to a suitable vacuum cleaner would be preferable. Still dusty work, and the OP should use a good quality dust mask & goggles. It would be a good idea to seal the doorway and open any windows, but dust will still go everywhere in the house. Tip - A squirty bottle to spray water around in the room after any cutting will help to reduce the dust cloud.

The real messy option is an angle grinder with a diamond disk...

A 25mm deep channel will be ample for the cable - Just make sure any vertical chases are no more than 30mm deep (assuming standard size brick cavity wall). The routing of the cable also needs to be in a recognised "safe zone", usually within 150mm of a corner or directly in line with a switch.

As this is in a wet area, the work becomes notifiable to building control and needs to be signed off when completed.
    Originally posted by FreeBear

thanks for your advise above, also isn't it that its legal requirement to go 50mm deep at-least?
    • Rock_007
    • By Rock_007 10th Sep 17, 6:36 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Rock_007

it doesn't look very soft although when i try to drill it goes quite easily for few millimetres.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 10th Sep 17, 6:43 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    to be honest i am not much an electric guy, i just looked around and bought it through eBay, i wouldnt have if i knew that.
    And your electrician is ok with you buying the gear and running your own cables?
    • Rock_007
    • By Rock_007 10th Sep 17, 7:12 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Rock_007
    And your electrician is ok with you buying the gear and running your own cables?
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt

I am getting quotation for this work and some of the electricians have told me that if i can lay the cables myself then there will be less work for them as they just need to do the end connections and of course they will knock some price drop from the quotation.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 10th Sep 17, 7:59 PM
    • 7,546 Posts
    • 8,029 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    But did they tell you to use that particular type of cable?
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Rock_007
    • By Rock_007 10th Sep 17, 8:10 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Rock_007
    But did they tell you to use that particular type of cable?

Not this particular type but certainly 10mm 3core cable that is needed for around 10KW electric shower.

i think the cable i have bought is bit stiff to install but other then that it should be okay to install?
    • Risteard
    • By Risteard 10th Sep 17, 8:15 PM
    • 684 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    Risteard
    Any credible Electrician will refuse to certify the work if they haven't been involved from the outset. It would be impossible for them to sign either for the Design or the Construction of the installation, and if they haven't inspected the work during erection it is also impossible for them to sign for the Inspection and Testing of the work.

Contact a credible Electrician.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 10th Sep 17, 9:41 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 1,933 Thanks
    FreeBear
    thanks for your advise above, also isn't it that its legal requirement to go 50mm deep at-least?
    Building regulations stipulate that a vertical chase should be no more than 1/3 the thickness of a wall leaf. Wiring regs require unprotected cables to be at least 50mm deep. But if the cables are in steel conduit (or armoured) and/or protected by an RCD, they can be just below the surface.

Whilst 10mm may be suitable for a 10Kw shower, you also need to take in to account the length of cable - For long runs, calculations may suggest 16mm cable is required.

It would appear that you need to consult with a qualified electrician - You will certainly need one to sign off on a shower installation as this is one job that is notifiable to Building Control in England - If the work isn't notified and signed off, you may well have difficulty in selling the house in future, your insurers would refuse to pay out any claims connected with the shower/bathroom, and the council could even take you to court.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 10th Sep 17, 9:44 PM
    • 5,689 Posts
    • 7,158 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    You are going to need to run to a pull switch first, then run flat 10mm from the pull switch to the shower or it wont bend in to the shower.
    I dont know any electrician who will sign off a shower with no isolator switch.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 10th Sep 17, 9:48 PM
    • 2,788 Posts
    • 1,719 Thanks
    Ectophile
    There's several options:
    • Bury the cable 50mm deep.
    • Ensure there's an RCD on the circuit (the most popular option).
    • Use armoured cable, with the armour earthed.
    • Use earthed metal conduit.
    • Use thick armour plating, sufficient to stop a nail gun (not really practical in most cases).
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • brightontraveller
    • By brightontraveller 11th Sep 17, 4:15 PM
    • 1,326 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    brightontraveller
    Use flat cable pvc/pvc , channel (capping) , Rcd etc
    Get someone who knows what to do a qualified electrician wouldn’t ticket off works others had done i.e. installation of cable or recommend swa for domestic shower ?????

50mm is a no no for most standard sizes bricks, blocks etc There are regs for how far you can cut/chase etc, Regs need to be understood not just quoted...
    Last edited by brightontraveller; 11-09-2017 at 4:32 PM.
    • Rock_007
    • By Rock_007 17th Sep 17, 11:54 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Rock_007
    i have decided to not go for Electric Shower anymore as i have heard that the pressure is not the best and as i have got a combo boiler so still gonna stick with a mixer shower instead.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,556Posts Today

10,773Users online

Martin's Twitter