Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • uknick
    • By uknick 9th Sep 17, 5:03 PM
    • 709Posts
    • 313Thanks
    uknick
    0 WOW
    I think my other half has upset US CBP
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:03 PM
    0 WOW
    I think my other half has upset US CBP 9th Sep 17 at 5:03 PM
    From our experience of the last two years she must be on some sort of watch list for USA customs.

We've flown into the USA 5 times in the last two years. On 4 occasions her checked in luggage has been opened. How do we know this?

Well, the first time my binoculars, packed inside her suitcase, were taken apart and found like that when we opened the case at the hotel. After arriving back home at the end of the holiday we found her binoculars had been tampered with, breaking the lens cover. Someone had also examined her personal razor. Don't ask how we knew :-(.

Next trip was to Orlando, no evidence of anyone tampering with her bag on the way in but, upon return, we found some boxes of eye medication pills had been opened. We knew because the pills were strewn around her case. Also her large cuddly whale was unpacked from its plastic wrapping she'd put it in.

We've just returned from Boston and her case has been opened again. This time we know for a fact it was CBP as they left a nice note telling us they'd inspected the contents of the case. This was the first time any such note was left.

Cleary they're now profiling white, middle class, middle aged English ladies with no criminal record :-)
    Last edited by uknick; 09-09-2017 at 5:07 PM.
Page 1
    • littlereddevil
    • By littlereddevil 9th Sep 17, 5:41 PM
    • 4,688 Posts
    • 1,950 Thanks
    littlereddevil
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:41 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:41 PM
    Mine has been opened three times in two years. It's nothing to do with who you are but what they see in the case on the scanner. I have a very good idea why mine were opened each time. They usually leave a note, but not always. Last time they burst a bottle of shower gel then threw it back on top of the case!
    travelover
    • novelty-socks
    • By novelty-socks 10th Sep 17, 12:04 AM
    • 167 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    novelty-socks
    • 10th Sep 17, 12:04 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 12:04 AM
    Mine have been opened several times. I think it's because I usually have some nice craft beer in on the way back from the US.

I've never notice this happen without them leaving a note though. Have you tried contacting your airline, or the CBP people to request compensation?
    • wondercollie
    • By wondercollie 10th Sep 17, 4:26 AM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 8,274 Thanks
    wondercollie
    • 10th Sep 17, 4:26 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 4:26 AM
    Yup, the Americans love to target middle life, white women. I get the full search every, single, time I cross by air.

Nothing beats finding the "your case was inspected" card wrapped in your bra cups.

The reason? There was something in my case they thought suspicious when they scanned it.

It's one of the reasons, I try my best not to transit through the US on international flights. Which can be hard to do living where I do.

For some strange reason it never happens to me on direct flights to the US, only on those where I make multiple connections.
    • uknick
    • By uknick 10th Sep 17, 11:18 AM
    • 709 Posts
    • 313 Thanks
    uknick
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:18 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:18 AM
    We did try complaining the first time when items were damaged but got nowhere.

For the last couple of trips we have label my bags with her name and they still get opened. No doubt the person opening the bag gets a big disappointment when they only find my dirty smalls LOL.
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 11th Sep 17, 8:36 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    stevie11
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:36 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:36 PM
    On the 3 or 4 trips a year to the US or via the US both our hold bags have been searched by TSA, they usually leave a calling card. Last week returning from the US, collecting our bags I noticed my TSA approved lock was missing on one bag and the other had been put back on but not securing the bag. So what is the point in the locks if they cant be botherred to securely fasten the bags again, might as well leave them unlocked Would they be held liable if further down the line if anything went missing or broken, I suspect not.
    • littlereddevil
    • By littlereddevil 12th Sep 17, 8:31 AM
    • 4,688 Posts
    • 1,950 Thanks
    littlereddevil
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:31 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:31 AM
    They never lock mine after they have had their rummage
    travelover
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 12th Sep 17, 6:46 PM
    • 7,321 Posts
    • 9,904 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:46 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:46 PM
    Last week returning from the US, collecting our bags I noticed my TSA approved lock was missing on one bag
    Originally posted by stevie11
    I thought my TSA lock was missing when I arrived home last year.
    I found the lock earlier this year in a small pocket on the side of the case that I'd forgotten about
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th Sep 17, 7:10 PM
    • 7,158 Posts
    • 19,514 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:10 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:10 PM
    It sounds like your other half has a name that's identical to someone on a watch list. Which is a bit frustrating, but very little you can do other than ensure the contraband or dubious stuff goes in someone else's baggage & speculate as to what sort of secret criminal mastermind your "twin" is?

It could be worse - it could be the full body search. Cousin has a name that matches someone elses & now her family barrel on through & get the luggage & a coffee, squash, etc while they wait. Last I heard, mum was a secret intelligence operative for Mossad (all that running a Brownie pack Clearly Suspicious - it's not as if all those notes exchanged with the vicar *couldn't* be encrypted) & the joke that she has to leave her exotic lingerie at home has her husband smiling sweetly as the offspring ask how do you spell Mata Hari anyway?

I'm sorry for your inconvenience, but do relax a bit, consider the packing & enjoy spinning the stories!
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 12th Sep 17, 7:44 PM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 2,132 Thanks
    coffeehound
    ... I noticed my TSA approved lock was missing on one bag and the other had been put back on but not securing the bag. So what is the point in the locks if they cant be botherred to securely fasten the bags again, might as well leave them unlocked
    Originally posted by stevie11
    TSA compliant locks are about as good as leaving the case unlocked anyway. Master keys are sold on ebay :/
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 12th Sep 17, 8:10 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    stevie11
    I thought my TSA lock was missing when I arrived home last year.
    I found the lock earlier this year in a small pocket on the side of the case that I'd forgotten about
    Originally posted by jackieblack
    Thanks for that Jackie, I will have a look in the case next time I am up in my loft.
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 12th Sep 17, 8:12 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    stevie11
    TSA compliant locks are about as good as leaving the case unlocked anyway. Master keys are sold on ebay :/
    Originally posted by coffeehound
    As I said, what is the point in having them?
    • Laz123
    • By Laz123 13th Sep 17, 8:45 AM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 918 Thanks
    Laz123
    The Yanks are not only totally paranoid, it sounds like they're intellectually challenged as well.
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.
    George Carlin
    • StuieUK34
    • By StuieUK34 13th Sep 17, 9:37 AM
    • 1,696 Posts
    • 825 Thanks
    StuieUK34
    My case gets searched every year on way home, and there is the white calling card left inside to say they searched it....
    Reason I get searched (case):
    I have BBQ sauce, Whiskey and some Meguiars car cleaning stuff in my case.... every year!
    • bspm
    • By bspm 13th Sep 17, 9:47 AM
    • 439 Posts
    • 678 Thanks
    bspm
    We travel to the USA four or five times a year, our bags are always opened, searched and a calling card left.

It does not bother us but then we have had no damage and the lock is always left in the case somewhere.

As far as we are concerned let them check every bag, better to be safe than.......
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,456Posts Today

7,362Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin