Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 9th Sep 17, 4:06 PM
    • 13,066Posts
    • 17,284Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Home network problem
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:06 PM
    Home network problem 9th Sep 17 at 4:06 PM
    My home network consists of a BT Home Hub 6 on one side of the house which feeds a TP-Link Archer D2 router configured as an access point on the other side of the house. The TP-Link is connected to a switch which feeds three TV related devices.

The setup has worked flawlessly for three months. Yesterday, while fiddling with some settings on the TP-Link, I lost access to it necessitating a factory reset. Unfortunately, I hadn't backed up the settings. As far as I can make out, I have set it up exactly as before, following the instructions from TP-Link and various internet sources.

The problem is that although the wifi works fine, the wired connections passing from the switch through the TP-Link to the BT Hub have no internet access. Bypassing the TP-Link, straight from the BT Hub to the switch, and all is good, but inconvenient because of the ethernet cable running through the house.

Has anybody got any ideas where the problem may lie, and how it may be fixed?
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
Page 1
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 9th Sep 17, 5:04 PM
    • 3,254 Posts
    • 1,477 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:04 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:04 PM
    The problem is that although the wifi works fine, the wired connections passing from the switch through the TP-Link to the BT Hub have no internet access.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    Probably best to confirm that the wifi of the TP-Link is working (and its not going directly to the BT Hub); a bit unusual for wifi to work and ethernet not too (its usually the other way around).
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 9th Sep 17, 5:12 PM
    • 4,963 Posts
    • 9,656 Thanks
    I have spoken
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:12 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:12 PM
    Did you unplug the switch or disturb the cables?
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 9th Sep 17, 5:56 PM
    • 13,066 Posts
    • 17,284 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:56 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:56 PM
    Thanks for the responses.

Probably best to confirm that the wifi of the TP-Link is working (and its not going directly to the BT Hub); a bit unusual for wifi to work and ethernet not too (its usually the other way around).
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    The wifi is definitely going to the TP-Link. I'm connected to it now. I agree, it's normally the other way round, which is why I'm flummoxed. I have a couple of spare Netgear routers so I might swap the TP-Link out to see if it may be faulty.

Did you unplug the switch or disturb the cables?
    Originally posted by I have spoken
    Only after the problem developed.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 9th Sep 17, 6:15 PM
    • 3,254 Posts
    • 1,477 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:15 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:15 PM
    The TP-Link is connected to a switch which feeds three TV related devices.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    I assume you've gone through the reset connection funtions of the TVs? Or tried a computer via ethernet; sounds like they're still using old DHCP settings and so ...need to be reset (the network connctions anyway).
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 9th Sep 17, 7:11 PM
    • 13,066 Posts
    • 17,284 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:11 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:11 PM
    I assume you've gone through the reset connection funtions of the TVs? Or tried a computer via ethernet; sounds like they're still using old DHCP settings and so ...need to be reset (the network connctions anyway).
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    Yup. The TV, Sky box, BT box and Bluray player are all connected to the web via the switch direct to the BT Hub. My wife is still happy... which is a plus. She's not too keen on the trailing Ethernet cable though.

Going to take break from it for the evening and take another look tomorrow. I'm annoyed that I hadn't backed up the settings like I did for the primary (BT) router.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 10th Sep 17, 10:53 AM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 1,056 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 10th Sep 17, 10:53 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 10:53 AM
    First of all is the TP Link on the same subnet as the BT router? BT routers use 192.168.1 as the subnet (BT router default IP address is 192.168.1.254) and TP link 192.168.0 and if they're on different subnets then device B won't be able to use the ip address of device A as the default gateway for internet access so you need to assign an IP address for the TPLink as 192.168.1.x and also make sure that the DHCP server in the TPLink is set to assign 192.168.1.x addresses if you're using its DHCP server to assign IP addresses to wired devices connected to it.

I don't know the particular model but when using wireless access points as you are requires the wifi to be set to work in access point/client/bridged mode.
    Last edited by Tarambor; 10-09-2017 at 10:57 AM.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 10th Sep 17, 3:29 PM
    • 13,066 Posts
    • 17,284 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 10th Sep 17, 3:29 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 3:29 PM
    The problem is fixed.

The TP-link was on the same subnet as the BT main router and there was nothing wrong with the way that it had been configured. I thought I must have screwed up somewhere but couldn't see where. As somebody alluded to in an earlier post, the problem appears to have been related to the switch. Turning it off then reconnecting to the TP-Link, letting it settle down and then plugging in the TV etc. seems to got everything working as it should.

Thanks for the suggestions..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,640Posts Today

6,711Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin