Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 2004arron
    • By 2004arron 7th Sep 17, 9:21 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    2004arron
    possible statute barred debt help please
    • 7th Sep 17, 9:21 PM
    possible statute barred debt help please 7th Sep 17 at 9:21 PM
    I've got a debt that's over 6 years old. The creditor has sold this onto a collections agency. They are still adding defaults onto my account since Apr 15.

Is there anything I can do?
Page 1
    • cjmillsnun
    • By cjmillsnun 8th Sep 17, 7:05 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    cjmillsnun
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:05 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:05 PM
    I've got a debt that's over 6 years old. The creditor has sold this onto a collections agency. They are still adding defaults onto my account since Apr 15.

Originally posted by 2004arron
    It depends. Have you made any payments towards or formally admitted liability for the debt in the last 6 years? Also when was the default originally registered (don't look at the month by month bit, look in the information above - there will be a date defaulted there)
    Last edited by cjmillsnun; 08-09-2017 at 7:07 PM.
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 9th Sep 17, 5:33 AM
    • 901 Posts
    • 546 Thanks
    nic_c
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:33 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:33 AM

Originally posted by 2004arron
    As has been said, its what was your last payment date and what was the default date. The default date shouldn't change now its sold on to a collections agency, though they may add a new default with their name, but the original date and then the original creditor will remove theirs.
    People often mistakenly think its the age of the debt that counts, e.g. a mobile taken out 7 years ago but last payment made to the company was 5.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 9th Sep 17, 4:07 PM
    • 11,902 Posts
    • 11,399 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:07 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:07 PM
    Arron,

Always best to start a new post, which i`ve done for you.

I have also moved it to the correct forum.

Answers to above questions will tell us more.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 09-09-2017 at 4:17 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,897Posts Today

7,934Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin