Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • terrydadd
    • By terrydadd 9th Sep 17, 3:59 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    terrydadd
    interest charges on 0% balance transfers
    • 9th Sep 17, 3:59 PM
    interest charges on 0% balance transfers 9th Sep 17 at 3:59 PM
    Hi I have recently taken out a credit card to transfer over balances where I am being charged interest on two other credit cards. I paid the balances by automated phone options and the balance was put onto my new card, but my new card provider has started charging me monthly even though it was a zero percentage card. I rang them to ask why and they said its because its down as a "purchase" rather than a "balance transfer". They wont accept that it was credit card transfers even though they were M&S Bank and Ikano. Any ideas of what I can do?. I am looking to close the account shortly but have been charged £20 interest every month or the past 4 months and want to try and claim it back if possible.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 9th Sep 17, 4:09 PM
    • 13,180 Posts
    • 13,491 Thanks
    zx81
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:09 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:09 PM
    You're reliant on their goodwill, as you didn't do a balance transfer.

If you don't get anywhere with them, consider doing new BTs elsewhere, but make sure you actually do it as a BT, not a payment.
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 9th Sep 17, 4:14 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    RG2015
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:14 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:14 PM
    Don't know which bank your 0% card is with but my two have very specific balance transfer procedures. These must be initiated from the 0% bank using their balance transfer methods.

In Virgin Money and Nationwide credit cards online banking I clicked on balance transfer and entered my transfer from credit card numbers and the amount to transfer and the new bank did the rest.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 9th Sep 17, 4:21 PM
    • 17,008 Posts
    • 11,186 Thanks
    molerat
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:21 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:21 PM
    If you phoned M&S & Ikano and "paid" the balances with the credit card then that is not a balance transfer, it is at best a purchase and at worst a cash transaction. To BT you have to "pay" the old cards from the BT card using their specified method.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,349Posts Today

7,109Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin