Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JG0
    • By JG0 9th Sep 17, 3:28 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 1Thanks
    JG0
    Shower goes cold for no reason (running off the taps)
    • 9th Sep 17, 3:28 PM
    Shower goes cold for no reason (running off the taps) 9th Sep 17 at 3:28 PM
    I have a shower hose and shower head attached to the taps, which are separate hot and cold taps. It's quite fiddly to get a good temperature as I have to be very precise with the cold tap to get it to a temperature that isn't boiling and isn't freezing.

However, after I set it I have about 5 minutes of the temperature I wanted until it suddenly goes cold. It's not completely cold, as if only the cold tap was turned on, but it is cold. The hot water also isn't off, because if I turn the cold tap off it's boiling hot straight away.

I have a 1 year old Worcester boiler. I have no other issues with the water temperature on other taps, only when I shower. It's also nothing to do with other taps being turned on at the same time, as I live alone. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any help.
Page 1
    • illusionek
    • By illusionek 9th Sep 17, 4:03 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    illusionek
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:03 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:03 PM
    Had the same problem, went away when I replaced my shower. The issue was with cartridges but as shower was very old I decided to replace the whole thing.
    • phill99
    • By phill99 9th Sep 17, 7:09 PM
    • 7,985 Posts
    • 7,224 Thanks
    phill99
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:09 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:09 PM
    As above the cartridge (aka the thermostat) needs changing. If its very old you may struggle with a replacement, so it may need a new valve.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • Moss5
    • By Moss5 9th Sep 17, 8:22 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Moss5
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:22 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:22 PM
    If you have cold tanks in the roof, your shower is connecting mains cold pressure with low-pressure hot water.
    • owen_money
    • By owen_money 10th Sep 17, 4:45 PM
    • 393 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    owen_money
    • 10th Sep 17, 4:45 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 4:45 PM
    There will be a reason why its going cold, you just have to work out why.
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 10th Sep 17, 8:22 PM
    • 710 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:22 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:22 PM
    I have a shower hose and shower head attached to the taps, which are separate hot and cold taps. It's quite fiddly to get a good temperature as I have to be very precise with the cold tap to get it to a temperature that isn't boiling and isn't freezing.
    I have a 1 year old Worcester boiler.
    Originally posted by JG0
    I have a very similar setup, with no problems. Has yours been working ok for some time, or is it a new set up?

• J B
    • By J B 10th Sep 17, 9:37 PM
    • 2,330 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    J B
    • 10th Sep 17, 9:37 PM
    Originally posted by owen_money
    What an excellent reply ... why didn't I think of that?
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 10th Sep 17, 9:37 PM
    • 2,788 Posts
    • 1,719 Thanks
    Ectophile
    If it's a combi boiler then the problem may be that the boiler is overheating and shutting off for safety.

There's a limit to how low a flow a combi boiler can deliver. Any lower and the water inside the boiler would start to boil. So the burner will cut out before that happens.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • JG0
    • By JG0 12th Sep 17, 9:09 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    JG0
    • 12th Sep 17, 9:09 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 9:09 PM
    If it's a combi boiler then the problem may be that the boiler is overheating and shutting off for safety.

There's a limit to how low a flow a combi boiler can deliver. Any lower and the water inside the boiler would start to boil. So the burner will cut out before that happens.
    Originally posted by Ectophile
    Could the hot and cold taps running together at the same time cause this? That would make sense. When I run both the hot and cold taps in the sink in the same bathroom as the shower they both run slowly, where as if only one is on then they're as they should be. When it's idle my water pressure is at 1 bar.
    • Wookey
    • By Wookey 13th Sep 17, 11:30 AM
    • 804 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    Wookey
    Could the hot and cold taps running together at the same time cause this? That would make sense. When I run both the hot and cold taps in the sink in the same bathroom as the shower they both run slowly, where as if only one is on then they're as they should be. When it's idle my water pressure is at 1 bar.
    Originally posted by JG0
    Is your hot water instant? Is the cold supply to the bath tap from mains or from cold water storage cistern in the roofspace? These things all work at different pressures and flow rates and as such they will vary especially things working direct from the water mains. If your hot and cold water are both fed via a tank in the roofspace then the pressure and flow rate will be very close and you shouldn't have much of an issue save for someone turning on a hot tap elsewhere in the house, however if it's a combination of instant hot water and mains fed cold water then there other things to take into consideration.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
    • Chappers27
    • By Chappers27 13th Sep 17, 11:32 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    Chappers27
    Originally posted by owen_money
    Well that's useful.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 13th Sep 17, 11:59 PM
    • 2,788 Posts
    • 1,719 Thanks
    Ectophile
    Originally posted by JG0
    It may be that there's something restricting the water flow. Just because you've got 1 bar static pressure, it doesn't necessarily mean you can get a decent flow rate out of it.

If it is a restriction, you'd need to work out where. It could just be an isolator valve turned half off, furred up pipes, or a blockage in the supply.

On the supply side, you should be able to get at least 10 litres per minute from the kitchen cold tap.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 18th Sep 17, 10:14 PM
    • 5,240 Posts
    • 3,048 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    1 bar isn't your water pressure that's the pressure in your heating system
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • dellboy102
    • By dellboy102 19th Sep 17, 10:55 AM
    • 532 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    dellboy102
    What temperature is your water temperature set to on the boiler? I had this too and I turned it down (it was set to a very high temp which it could not maintain constantly), the problem went away.

Also there may be a setting on the boiler relating to "keep warm", this cycles the boiler so it always keeps the water warm for instant hot water, may be worth trying this too as a test if the first suggestion does not work.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 19th Sep 17, 12:46 PM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,529 Thanks
    Strider590
    Reading the OP, it's basically a mixer system running directly off a combi boiler (which is never a great idea), so what is probably happening is the hot water flow rate is too low, causing the boiler to turn off.

Try turning the hot water temperature down on the boiler (not the heating), so that your using proportionally more water from the hot tap than cold.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • JG0
    • By JG0 24th Sep 17, 5:44 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    JG0
    What temperature is your water temperature set to on the boiler? I had this too and I turned it down (it was set to a very high temp which it could not maintain constantly), the problem went away.

Also there may be a setting on the boiler relating to "keep warm", this cycles the boiler so it always keeps the water warm for instant hot water, may be worth trying this too as a test if the first suggestion does not work.
    Originally posted by dellboy102
    Reading the OP, it's basically a mixer system running directly off a combi boiler (which is never a great idea), so what is probably happening is the hot water flow rate is too low, causing the boiler to turn off.

Try turning the hot water temperature down on the boiler (not the heating), so that your using proportionally more water from the hot tap than cold.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    The hot water temperature is very high, I'll try this and report back.

Thanks all for your help and replies.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 24th Sep 17, 7:45 PM
    • 6,317 Posts
    • 5,078 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Originally posted by JG0
    Once you've sorted your temperature problem fitting a thermostatic mixer tap would avoid fiddling with the temperature.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THERMOSTATIC-BATH-SHOWER-MIXER-VALVE-TAP-TAPS-DECK-MOUNTED-CHROME-1-4-TURN-057D/182771868727?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.M BE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D47510%26meid%3D50f17ea93150417 99cde7f2ac18d322c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D 6%26sd%3D141600984363&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m18 51
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,015Posts Today

8,278Users online

Martin's Twitter