Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jenna64
    • By Jenna64 9th Sep 17, 3:23 PM
    • 34Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Jenna64
    How to make handwash last longer...?
    • 9th Sep 17, 3:23 PM
    How to make handwash last longer...? 9th Sep 17 at 3:23 PM
    Hi Everyone

I love Argan's Moroccan Rose handwash. The smell of quality rose oil seems to have a therapeutic effect on me, lol.

But it's just under a fiver. I'm wondering if I water it down a bit I can make it last longer. But would you say the water would go bad if I did that?

Just trying to be sensible with money, but this is one of my 'treats.'

Thanks for any ideas :-)
Page 1
    • suejb2
    • By suejb2 9th Sep 17, 3:33 PM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 1,935 Thanks
    suejb2
    • 9th Sep 17, 3:33 PM
    Handwash
    • 9th Sep 17, 3:33 PM
    £3.30 in Waitrose if that helps.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
    • Jenna64
    • By Jenna64 9th Sep 17, 3:59 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Jenna64
    • 9th Sep 17, 3:59 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 3:59 PM
    Thanks suejb2

Yes, that's where I got it, I sound really tight now, lol, but I would never normally spend that amount on some soap to wash hands. So I was trying to justify it by seeing if I could make it last double the time, by diluting it. But if people think that is unhygienic, ie the water will go bad in the bottle, then I'll just have to deal with the fact that I love it so much, I spent on it, lol
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 9th Sep 17, 4:07 PM
    • 3,295 Posts
    • 5,577 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:07 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:07 PM
    https://myheartbeets.com/homemade-liquid-hand-soap/

This is MSE after all

But that does suggest that you could dilute the expensive stuff with distilled water
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • asajj
    • By asajj 9th Sep 17, 5:04 PM
    • 4,124 Posts
    • 10,301 Thanks
    asajj
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:04 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:04 PM
    Even if you dilute, I don't think it would be the same product. If it is a treat, just forget about the price and use it. We live only once after all.
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 9th Sep 17, 8:16 PM
    • 8,504 Posts
    • 5,032 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:16 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:16 PM
    If you don't push too hard or long on the plunger some of the soap will be sucked back into the bottle. (Similar applies to squeezing dishwashing liquid or shampoo bottles, toothpaste and hand cream tubes.)
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 9th Sep 17, 9:22 PM
    • 4,917 Posts
    • 6,143 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:22 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:22 PM
    Wrap something round the stem of the plunger so it doesn't go all the way down and less comes out. A rubber band or two should work.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • Mobeen Younas
    • By Mobeen Younas 10th Sep 17, 8:16 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mobeen Younas
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:16 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:16 AM
    Purchase a foaming hand soap dispenser, and turn your regular hand soap into foaming hand soap. You'll be amazed at how far you can stretch one bottle of soap.
    • Starrystarrynight1
    • By Starrystarrynight1 10th Sep 17, 10:12 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 257 Thanks
    Starrystarrynight1
    • 10th Sep 17, 10:12 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 10:12 AM
    Yes, it's a bit more expensive than the average bottle, but I'd be concerned that the product wouldn't be quite as effective if it was watered down, so I'd be prepared to pay up. Also, I'd worry that bacteria might be introduced to the product if the bottle was opened up to add the water.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
    • cashewnut
    • By cashewnut 11th Sep 17, 7:48 AM
    • 327 Posts
    • 573 Thanks
    cashewnut
    Could you also put a cheap bar of soap out with it? That way anyone who's not fussed about the liquid soap might end up using that, leaving the fancy stuff for you
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 11th Sep 17, 9:39 AM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 1,780 Thanks
    rach_k
    I've found that when there is only a little bit of handwash left in the dispenser, everybody is more careful with it as nobody wants to use the last bit and have to refill it! If you live with others, trying that might reduce the amount they use.

It looks like they do a soap/bar as well - you could try that as I always find bars last forever, plus you could try to grate a bit up, simmer with water and a little glycerine and make liquid handwash - you get loads from one bar so may work out cheaper although I don't know whether the scent would be as good (http://www.savvyhousekeeping.com/how-to-turn-a-bar-of-soap-into-liquid-hand-soap/).
    • maman
    • By maman 11th Sep 17, 3:22 PM
    • 16,969 Posts
    • 101,500 Thanks
    maman
    If I were you I'd enjoy it and focus on saving money elsewhere. Even if you did dilute it (which probably would work) then it would dilute the perfume too.

You could experiment when you get close to the bottom of the next bottle.

If you have others in the house that dare to use it then buy them some hand soap or cheapo handwash. I'd be telling them Hands Off!!
    • Judi
    • By Judi 13th Sep 17, 3:27 PM
    • 15,263 Posts
    • 62,548 Thanks
    Judi
    Instead of diluting it just use a little less. It doesnt take much to wash your hands.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

178Posts Today

2,290Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin