Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • and another thing...
    • By and another thing... 9th Sep 17, 3:03 PM
    • 57Posts
    • 44Thanks
    and another thing...
    Neighbours possibly scuppering flat sale
    • 9th Sep 17, 3:03 PM
    Neighbours possibly scuppering flat sale 9th Sep 17 at 3:03 PM
    I have had my flat on the market for a while now. The flat on the same corridor to mine is rented and lived in by a couple I rarely see but who are not the most considerate of people. I'm talking slamming doors, nocturnal lifestyle, dirt outside their door, etc.

I've noticed that recently they have become extra dirty and place food outside their door, leave a trail of dirt, clumps of hair and food from their door to the end of the corridor. But...what's worse is their new habit of picking their nose and wiping it on their door frame and on the wall between our two front doors. It's revolting. I know their landlord well but am cautious about telling him about it as I'd have to declare it when selling. I don't want to approach his tenants about it as when I've tried to talk to them before, they became defensive and the noise and mess levels increased.

I'm fed up of cleaning up after them. It's particularly bad if the agent does a viewing when I'm at work as then I haven't had a chance to clean the walls and floor. God knows what the viewers must think (it's very obvious, can't miss it, the doors are very close to each other) though feedback has been, on the most part, vague.

What course of action should I take? One that doesn't involve officially making a complaint.

They also batch cook on a commercial scale morning, noon and night (resulting in constant food smells, noisy clanking about) which can't be permitted under their tenancy but that's another matter...
Page 1
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Sep 17, 4:14 PM
    • 13,952 Posts
    • 37,909 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:14 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:14 PM
    The batch cooking has me wondering if they're running a business from home.

That then leads onto wondering whether they have fulfilled all necessary legal/Council/whatever requirements to do so and whether they are declaring it to tax...............
    #MeToo

Why should our needs override the needs of all other living species? What makes us so special? (Brigit Strawbridge)
    • and another thing...
    • By and another thing... 9th Sep 17, 4:22 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    and another thing...
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:22 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:22 PM
    Thank you
    Maybe I could go down that route then. What should I do if I suspect that they are running a business from their rented kitchen? Their landlord would definitely not allow that.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Sep 17, 4:29 PM
    • 60,705 Posts
    • 354,870 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:29 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:29 PM
    The cooking's got a lot of attack angles on it:

- landlord doesn't know, his insurance invalid if it's run as a commercial place
    - freeholders/lease restrictions about running businesses
    - planning permission from the Council
    - environmental health - approved kitchen requirement
    - HMRC for tax

If they are running a commercial kitchen there then insurance is the biggest worry for the landlord and freeholders.

Have you seen what happens to all this food...? Have you seen it leaving the building? What sort of cooking are they up to/selling how and where?
    • and another thing...
    • By and another thing... 9th Sep 17, 4:35 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    and another thing...
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:35 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:35 PM
    PasturesNew
    I've seen them bring back bags and bags of shopping, cooking oil and they do that every three days or so. I've not seen them leave with bags of what looks like cooked food though. But, there are only two of them living there and they never have had ANY guests visit as far as I know. The amount of cooking they do does not in any way correlate with the amount of people living there.

The small is constant. I had to get my sofa cover dry cleaned as the chili smell had permeated into the fabric and I cannot leave coats hanging up by my front door any more as they started to smell.

So, should I inform the council? They may only be cooking on a relatively small scale and the council may not deem it worthwhile.
    • and another thing...
    • By and another thing... 9th Sep 17, 4:36 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    and another thing...
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:36 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:36 PM
    smell not small...!
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 9th Sep 17, 7:02 PM
    • 3,237 Posts
    • 4,026 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:02 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:02 PM
    Friend had a neighbour who batch cooked for a local restaurant. Someone notified the council hygiene folks and now she doesn't batch cook any more.
    • ashe
    • By ashe 10th Sep 17, 8:11 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    ashe
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:11 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:11 PM
    report anonymously to avoid any issues with declaration
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,086Posts Today

8,379Users online

Martin's Twitter