Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ARCLIJ
    • By ARCLIJ 9th Sep 17, 2:59 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ARCLIJ
    Mortgage free or keep rented property
    • 9th Sep 17, 2:59 PM
    Mortgage free or keep rented property 9th Sep 17 at 2:59 PM
    Hi

Myself and my husband own a property and also rent out another property which we have a mortgage on. Our original plan has always been to keep the rented property as a retirement pension as my husband is self employed. We currently have 18 years left on each property and the value of the rented property has gone up which means if we sold it we could pay off the mortgage on our own home. We need to decide whether to be mortgage free or keep the rented property. Just wondering on peoples views on this?
    Many thanks
Page 1
    • dark^knight
    • By dark^knight 20th Sep 17, 3:16 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 904 Thanks
    dark^knight
    • 20th Sep 17, 3:16 PM
    • 20th Sep 17, 3:16 PM
    Hi,

It really depends on your mid to long term plans.

One option maybe to re-mortgage the rental property in order to pay off the mortgage on the house you live in.
    Aiming to be mortgage free by Dec 2018.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,839Posts Today

8,334Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin