Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • burtons
    • By burtons 9th Sep 17, 1:56 PM
    • 502Posts
    • 75Thanks
    burtons
    Frustrated with sellers using stock photos
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:56 PM
    Frustrated with sellers using stock photos 9th Sep 17 at 1:56 PM
    Why do sellers use stock photos?
    I've bought 2 different model phone cases off two different sellers that used stock photos and not one case is the same as the stock photo and now I've got to send them back or lose money. I know the seller is only going off what the manufacturer said it will fit.
Page 1
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 9th Sep 17, 8:01 PM
    • 2,429 Posts
    • 2,519 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:01 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:01 PM
    I agree, if a seller cannot be bothered to take their own photographs then I can't be bothered to buy from them.
    • in_the_Cotswolds
    • By in_the_Cotswolds 10th Sep 17, 12:46 AM
    • 728 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    in_the_Cotswolds
    • 10th Sep 17, 12:46 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 12:46 AM
    I take my own photos and also use a stock photo if available because they are sometimes better then the ones I take especially if it something like a table and chairs. Due to house/room sizes it can be difficult to photograph large items.

• MataNui
    • By MataNui 11th Sep 17, 9:00 AM
    • 804 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    MataNui
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:00 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:00 AM
    Surely stock photos would also be bad for the seller since it leaves them open to an easily winnable SNAD by any buyers?
    • bris
    • By bris 11th Sep 17, 7:57 PM
    • 6,817 Posts
    • 5,850 Thanks
    bris
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:57 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:57 PM
    I agree, if a seller cannot be bothered to take their own photographs then I can't be bothered to buy from them.
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    Businesses on Ebay are huge with thousands of item for sale, stock photos are the norm, same as the thousands of general websites.
    Do you really think they are going to get a delivery of 10000 cases and photo them all.
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 12th Sep 17, 9:03 AM
    • 3,205 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    lstar337
    • 12th Sep 17, 9:03 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 9:03 AM
    I thought eBay gave sellers a ticking off for using stock photos?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 12th Sep 17, 9:19 AM
    • 59,076 Posts
    • 41,869 Thanks
    soolin
    • 12th Sep 17, 9:19 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 9:19 AM
    I thought eBay gave sellers a ticking off for using stock photos?
    Originally posted by lstar337
    They recommend that we use our own photos on one bit of the selling help pages, yet on another encourage us to use their catalogue images- so with ebay, who knows?

Also all our photos that we upload are now taken for catalogue images that can be used by ebay, we used to be able to opt out but I don't know that we can anymore.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,073Posts Today

8,380Users online

Martin's Twitter