Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fcjf
    • By fcjf 9th Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    • 44Posts
    • 1Thanks
    fcjf
    Closing down a partnership
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    Closing down a partnership 9th Sep 17 at 1:17 PM
    A former business partnership between myself and my wife, a hair salon, closed down at the end of April 2016 when the landlord of the premises terminated the lease for development purposes. My wife ran the business and she received 100% of the profits. In the 2016-17 tax year the salon operated for 3 weeks at the end of which we had to pay out £9,000 in redundancy payment. Along with other payments required in closing down the business the partnership accounts show a loss of £11,000. My wife has subsequently moved on to being a sole trader hairdresser working from home. Within her sole trader accounts my wife has made a net profit of £15,000 for 2016-17. Can 100% of the losses from the partnership be offset against the sole trader profits? Alternatively, I have a salary of £64,000 from my work, even though I didn’t receive any profits from the business in previous years, can I use any of the losses from the partnership to offset my PAYE tax?

A further income we have is through a number of BTL’s we own. For 2016-17 my Wife’s profits from BTLs was £15,000 and mine £8,000. Can this profit be added to my Wife’s total taxable income as the starting point to offset the £11,000 loss? Alternatively can I use a proportion of the losses to offset tax?

As a further question, the partnership received £16,000 from the landlord as statutory compensation for termination of the lease, I have read that this is dealt with a capital not income so presumably this gets added to the balance sheet? When the partnership is closed down how is the balance sheet dealt with for taxation – CGT?
Page 1
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 9th Sep 17, 4:49 PM
    • 4,770 Posts
    • 4,146 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:49 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:49 PM
    and the partnership accountant advises what?
    • fcjf
    • By fcjf 9th Sep 17, 4:59 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    fcjf
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:59 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:59 PM
    Nothing, I haven't handed over the books to him yet.

I'm just trying to gain some knowledge from the forum to check/challenge his view.
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 10th Sep 17, 5:09 AM
    • 6,690 Posts
    • 11,885 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    • 10th Sep 17, 5:09 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 5:09 AM
    and the partnership accountant advises what?
    Originally posted by 00ec25
    Nothing, I haven't handed over the books to him yet.

I'm just trying to gain some knowledge from the forum to check/challenge his view.
    Originally posted by fcjf
    So, you don't know tax law or accountancy rules - and are willing to pay somebody who does, to take care of it for you - but first you want us to give you a comprehensive education in tax law and accounting, with particular attention to the specifics of your wife's situation, for free, so that you can challenge the view of the person whom you're paying for the expert advice.

That seems ambitous.

Why not get his view / his advice/ the work done, first... and then if you suspect it is inadequate - come back here and ask if people disagree with the advice which was given to you by the professional.
    Last edited by bowlhead99; 10-09-2017 at 5:13 AM.
    • fcjf
    • By fcjf 10th Sep 17, 2:35 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    fcjf
    • 10th Sep 17, 2:35 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 2:35 PM
    So, you don't know tax law or accountancy rules - and are willing to pay somebody who does, to take care of it for you - but first you want us to give you a comprehensive education in tax law and accounting, with particular attention to the specifics of your wife's situation, for free, so that you can challenge the view of the person whom you're paying for the expert advice.

That seems ambitous.

Why not get his view / his advice/ the work done, first... and then if you suspect it is inadequate - come back here and ask if people disagree with the advice which was given to you by the professional.
    I don't think I was asking for a comprehensive education in tax law and accounting but I get your point. As it happens our accountant is currently not able to work and won't be back working until November so I was trying to get some advice to help me understand the tax situation to ensure we have sufficient funds to cover our tax liabilities.

I'll be back in November then!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

23Posts Today

3,671Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin