Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Genmalouise350
    • By Genmalouise350 9th Sep 17, 12:36 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Genmalouise350
    Work has told me I need to take out a credit card
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:36 PM
    Work has told me I need to take out a credit card 9th Sep 17 at 12:36 PM
    I have started working in retail and they have told me to receive my discount I need to open up a credit card with them only if my credit is refused I can get a discount card which is for under 18s.
    I do not want a credit card as I already have poor credit history and I am currently trying to build it up and with a lot of hard work I have managed to build it to a certain degree.
    Signing up for a credit card will show on my report as well as be rejected due to my credit status which will lower my report.
    Is there any way around this for me to not have to go through this? There is nothing in my contract that states I have to have a credit card but it is in my handbook that I need to apply to receive the discount.

What can I do?
Page 1
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 9th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    • 3,020 Posts
    • 6,984 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    Well do you want a discount from them?

That's not to say you should get one but if you don't want a credit card (& I exactly know where you're coming from!) then just ignore the fact you could get a discount

Does sound odd unless it's to stop the discount card being used fraudulently but what's to stop under 18s using it in that way.......I'd ask if you can have an under 18s card& if you're told no then you have the option of either foregoing the discount or applying fir the card
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 9th Sep 17, 1:25 PM
    • 1,270 Posts
    • 1,173 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:25 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:25 PM
    Dont get a discount card then, not end of the world.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 9th Sep 17, 1:53 PM
    • 4,086 Posts
    • 4,210 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:53 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:53 PM
    There is nothing in my contract that states I have to have a credit card but it is in my handbook that I need to apply to receive the discount.

What can I do?
    Originally posted by Genmalouise350
    The staff handbook generally clarifies the information provided in your contract. Although it says you require a credit card in order to receive staff discount, it isn't saying that you have to apply for the credit card irrespective of whether you want staff discount or not. Simply don't apply for the credit card and accept the fact that you won't get the staff discount.
    For what it's worth I think you are acting sensibly in trying to avoid credit cards.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 9th Sep 17, 2:23 PM
    • 3,020 Posts
    • 6,984 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 9th Sep 17, 2:23 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 2:23 PM
    For what it's worth I think you are acting sensibly in trying to avoid credit cards.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    So do I though I'm not sure my post conveyed that
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • nimbo
    • By nimbo 9th Sep 17, 2:25 PM
    • 3,203 Posts
    • 8,858 Thanks
    nimbo
    • 9th Sep 17, 2:25 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 2:25 PM
    I was reading it as being in retail and needing to buy uniform. I know years ago when I worked for one firm another used to do something similar - but you had to wear their clothes on the shop floor. They had to be current and it could get exspensive.

I'm not sure of the legalities of it - although know it led to a lot of issues for peoplnwho did work there and it led to many of their staff defecting to our stores....

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 3 / 500
    • stuartJo1989
    • By stuartJo1989 9th Sep 17, 4:53 PM
    • 222 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    stuartJo1989
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:53 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:53 PM
    I'd potentially just apply for the credit card, depending on your circumstances (if you have CCJ/DMP/IVA/bankruptcy then probably not a good idea).

I have a credit card with a fairly high line of credit (for someone with poor credit rating), but I owe nothing on it and I've long ago cut it up + have no easy access to it.

Probably should set up some sort of monthly DD on it to build up credit, but I'm hoping that having a low utilisation % is helping with my rating
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 9th Sep 17, 7:36 PM
    • 7,544 Posts
    • 8,011 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:36 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:36 PM
    I think the relevant financial services regulator would be interested (at least they should be interested) in this sort of coercion to take out a financial product and possibly irresponsible lending.

It's also almost certainly an unreasonable employment contract term.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 10th Sep 17, 8:42 PM
    • 18,709 Posts
    • 43,011 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:42 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:42 PM
    Is it an unrelated credit card or is it their store card?

I know House of Fraser used to ask their employees take out a store card to receive staff discount.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • ceh209
    • By ceh209 10th Sep 17, 9:15 PM
    • 694 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    ceh209
    only if my credit is refused I can get a discount card which is for under 18s.
    Originally posted by Genmalouise350
    I wouldn't normally advocate not telling the truth, but do you know if they will ask for proof that it is refused? I completely understand why you don't want to apply for a credit card.

If they will just take your word for it (rather than having to do the application in front of someone else, for example), you could just not apply, tell them it was refused and ask for the discount card instead?
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 11th Sep 17, 10:14 AM
    • 15,128 Posts
    • 14,763 Thanks
    Guest101
    presumably it's a credit card to stop people 'abusing' the discount by working a few weeks and then quitting.

not that I agree, but I can understand it.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 11th Sep 17, 11:32 AM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 4,980 Thanks
    Malthusian
    I think the relevant financial services regulator would be interested (at least they should be interested) in this sort of coercion to take out a financial product and possibly irresponsible lending.
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    Nonsense. There is no coercion involved, the OP doesn't have to have a discount card. And the OP isn't forced to borrow money if she wants the staff discount, she only has to apply for the credit card. She could buy her discounted goods and pay off the balance immediately.

The FCA will have no interest whatsoever and nor should they.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 11th Sep 17, 4:09 PM
    • 2,029 Posts
    • 3,052 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser

It's also almost certainly an unreasonable employment contract term.
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    Well no, because if she doesn't take out the card it will have no bearing on her employment.
    • takman
    • By takman 12th Sep 17, 9:52 AM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 2,354 Thanks
    takman
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    I disagree with this. Considering the OP is trying to build up a good credit history then having a credit card and then paying it off monthly is almost essential to doing this.

Showing you can responsibly use a credit card is one the best ways to improve your credit history.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

186Posts Today

1,287Users online

Martin's Twitter