Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TheMsTeal
    • By TheMsTeal 9th Sep 17, 12:21 PM
    • 60Posts
    • 181Thanks
    TheMsTeal
    0 WOW
    Makro Card worth it?
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:21 PM
    0 WOW
    Makro Card worth it? 9th Sep 17 at 12:21 PM
    I've been thinking of getting a Makro card, I've read a lot of posts on here saying it's not worth it. But surely if you can claim back VAT as a small business it would be worth it? Anyone know if you can claim back VAT on Makro purchases?
    Debt Free Day Target: November 2018

£2 Savers Club 2017: no 41
Page 1
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 9th Sep 17, 1:21 PM
    • 12,382 Posts
    • 39,520 Thanks
    sarah1972
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:21 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:21 PM
    What are you buying as most things at Makro don't have VAT on them?
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • TheMsTeal
    • By TheMsTeal 9th Sep 17, 1:49 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    TheMsTeal
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:49 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:49 PM
    I was just going from posts on here, a few said be careful as prices don't include VAT on shelves. Would be buying stationery, food, household.

• sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 9th Sep 17, 2:02 PM
    • 12,382 Posts
    • 39,520 Thanks
    sarah1972
    • 9th Sep 17, 2:02 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 2:02 PM
    I was just going from posts on here, a few said be careful as prices don't include VAT on shelves. Would be buying stationery, food, household.
    Originally posted by TheMsTeal
    No vat on most household, stationery and only some foods.

What business do you run that you could claim the VAT back on food and household?

Food and drink for human consumption is usually zero-rated but some items are always standard-rated. These include catering, alcoholic drinks, confectionery, crisps and savoury snacks, hot food, sports drinks, hot takeaways, ice cream, soft drinks and mineral water. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/rates-of-vat-on-different-goods-and-services
    Last edited by sarah1972; 09-09-2017 at 2:05 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • TheMsTeal
    • By TheMsTeal 9th Sep 17, 2:14 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    TheMsTeal
    • 9th Sep 17, 2:14 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 2:14 PM
    OK thanks, it's a small family business, I am not running it personally so not expert on VAT. You've answered my question anyway!

• TheMsTeal
    • By TheMsTeal 9th Sep 17, 2:24 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    TheMsTeal
    • 9th Sep 17, 2:24 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 2:24 PM
    Just another quick point, if as you say "most" items at Makro don't have VAT on them, why do they bother to ask for proof you are running a business before you are allowed to join?

• sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 9th Sep 17, 2:46 PM
    • 12,382 Posts
    • 39,520 Thanks
    sarah1972
    • 9th Sep 17, 2:46 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 2:46 PM
    Just another quick point, if as you say "most" items at Makro don't have VAT on them, why do they bother to ask for proof you are running a business before you are allowed to join?
    Originally posted by TheMsTeal
    Because allegedly they are wholesale cheaper like Bookers cash & Carry etc so therefore only for businesses.

I stopped using them years ago as I find supermarkets cheaper.
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 9th Sep 17, 5:35 PM
    • 1,218 Posts
    • 676 Thanks
    firefox1956
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:35 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:35 PM
    Same here...stopped using them 15 years ago !!
    The OP will find that they can buy most things cheaper in a supermarket.
    Places like Bookers can even be way overpriced.........
    Just take a look in peoples supermarket trollies......
    10 lettuces / 20 cucumbers / multiple purchases of tomato sauce etc all indicated business purchases.
    HTH
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

325Posts Today

3,056Users online

Martin's Twitter