Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • snickpan
    • By snickpan 9th Sep 17, 12:20 PM
    • 53Posts
    • 8Thanks
    snickpan
    HMO, increase rent
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:20 PM
    HMO, increase rent 9th Sep 17 at 12:20 PM
    I'm a bit worried about putting rent up - it's currently way below market rate, but as it's an HMO, some people have only just moved in, some have been there two years.
    I don't feel I can put someones rent up if they've only just moved in, that would be unfair - "I know last week you moved into a £xxx room, but now that you've unpacked..."
    If I increase rent for the tenants that have been there for 2 years, will they be bitter that the newbies still have the old rate? The house runs quite well, I wouldn't want to create any tension over different levels of rent.
    How do I tackle this?
Page 1
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 9th Sep 17, 12:54 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:54 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:54 PM
    You will need to give them all notice in line with the terms of their agreement/licence. Why don't you consider this at a different time of year. I.e. January for the new year or April for the next financial year. That way every one has the agreed period of notice & a little longer to find alternative accommodation if they aren't happy may soften the blow and they will all end up on the same rent.
    • snickpan
    • By snickpan 9th Sep 17, 2:47 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    snickpan
    • 9th Sep 17, 2:47 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 2:47 PM
    very good advice, thank you HampshireH
    • G_M
    • By G_M 9th Sep 17, 10:53 PM
    • 41,106 Posts
    • 47,249 Thanks
    G_M
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:53 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:53 PM
    You cannot simply put up rent!

Presumably each occupant has a separate contract/tenancy agreement? You need to review these individually to see how, and when, each can have the rent altered. It is unlikely you can do all of them simultaneously!

Read:

* Rent increases: when & how can rent be increased?
    • rjwr
    • By rjwr 9th Sep 17, 11:21 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    rjwr
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:21 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:21 PM
    How often does someone put your rent up?
    But never spend money you don't have to buy things you don't want to impress people you don't like.
    Originally posted by kidmugsy
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,774Posts Today

7,549Users online

Martin's Twitter