Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 9th Sep 17, 12:12 PM
    • 4,211Posts
    • 1,867Thanks
    aardvaak
    Malwarebytes & Bitdefender
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:12 PM
    Malwarebytes & Bitdefender 9th Sep 17 at 12:12 PM
    I have downloaded Malwarebyes and bought a 1 year licence as advised here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5705956

I was also as advised and downloaded Bitdefender.

However Bitdefender id trying to remove Malwarebytes.

Why?

If these are not compatable - why? and cound someone please suggest a removal tool for bitdefender
Page 1
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 9th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 1,083 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    Having multiple real time scanners working at the same time is not a good idea. Decide which one you want to do realtime scanning and disable realtime scanning on the other one.

For future reference if you're running Windows 10 then Windows Defender is more than enough.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 9th Sep 17, 12:44 PM
    • 3,256 Posts
    • 1,478 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:44 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:44 PM
    However Bitdefender is trying to remove Malwarebytes.
    Originally posted by aardvaak
    Don't know about any incompatibility but nothing wrong with Bitdefender as an ANTI-VIRUS product (and better than Windows).
    The Malwarebytes that I have used in the past was NOT AN ANTI-VIRUS product and typically used as a MALWARE scanner; I don't use the real-time malware scanning component(s).
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 9th Sep 17, 3:45 PM
    • 1,270 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 9th Sep 17, 3:45 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 3:45 PM
    I use the paid for Malwarebytes alongside the included Win 10 A/V. There is no clash between them. Unlike the free version, the paid for M/Bytes monitors files and activities in real time, it appears to be far more effective than a typical anti-virus and program.
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 9th Sep 17, 4:24 PM
    • 4,211 Posts
    • 1,867 Thanks
    aardvaak
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:24 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:24 PM
    Could someone please suggest a removal tool for bitdefender?
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 9th Sep 17, 4:52 PM
    • 3,256 Posts
    • 1,478 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:52 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:52 PM
    Could someone please suggest a removal tool for bitdefender?
    Originally posted by aardvaak
    Does the standard uninstall fail? (Control Panel -> Uninstall a program);
    Uninstaller (you need to know what product you installed!) -> https://www.bitdefender.com/uninstall/

If still stuck Google "revo uninstaller free"
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 9th Sep 17, 5:20 PM
    • 2,552 Posts
    • 1,402 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:20 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:20 PM
    It does just uninstall via the usual methods, no need for any special 'tool'.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • abibee
    • By abibee 9th Sep 17, 7:51 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    abibee
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:51 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:51 PM
    I had exactly the same problem the other week, tried installing Bitdefender free on a laptop, and it wanted to remove Malwarebytes, so I cancelled the install and went with Panda free instead, no problems with that.

Though the install was cancelled, there was leftover a 'register bitdefender free' screen on the computer, oh well.
    • Sicard
    • By Sicard 10th Sep 17, 10:34 AM
    • 674 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    Sicard
    • 10th Sep 17, 10:34 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 10:34 AM
    It does just uninstall via the usual methods, no need for any special 'tool'.
    Originally posted by RumRat
    I uninstalled BitDefender via usual methods because I wanted the boot-time scan facility of Avast which does pick up things missed by a windows scan. There was one file left somewhere which I couldn't get rid of which threw up an error message when closing down. Now I've used the BD uninstall tool it's gone.
    Am proud I only have one sourpuss on my ignore list
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 10th Sep 17, 7:49 PM
    • 2,552 Posts
    • 1,402 Thanks
    RumRat
    I uninstalled BitDefender via usual methods because I wanted the boot-time scan facility of Avast which does pick up things missed by a windows scan. There was one file left somewhere which I couldn't get rid of which threw up an error message when closing down. Now I've used the BD uninstall tool it's gone.
    Originally posted by Sicard
    When I uninstalled from my laptop it left nothing and I have had no problems. I guess it may be one of those things that either does or doesn't, who knows?
    I still have it on my office PC, but, the only thing I've uninstalled there was 'Home Scan'.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • Sicard
    • By Sicard 11th Sep 17, 8:39 AM
    • 674 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    Sicard
    When I uninstalled from my laptop it left nothing and I have had no problems. I guess it may be one of those things that either does or doesn't, who knows?
    I still have it on my office PC, but, the only thing I've uninstalled there was 'Home Scan'.
    Originally posted by RumRat
    I spoke too soon, the error message has returned on shut down. It's not a huge problem so I can live with it
    Am proud I only have one sourpuss on my ignore list
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 11th Sep 17, 9:36 AM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 1,975 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Malwarebytes FREE + Bitdefender free

OR

Malwarebytes Premium + Windows defender (Built in)
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 11th Sep 17, 6:25 PM
    • 3,494 Posts
    • 3,553 Thanks
    DoaM
    I have Bitdefender Free and MBAM Corporate/Enterprise (v1.something - got it free via a link here at MSE quite some time back) ... both work happily in tandem.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 11th Sep 17, 7:57 PM
    • 5,583 Posts
    • 2,122 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    dont use either of these. what am i missing???
    Last edited by dipsomaniac; 11-09-2017 at 8:04 PM.
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 11th Sep 17, 8:11 PM
    • 3,256 Posts
    • 1,478 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Bitdefender - a highly rated free AV product.
    Malwarebytes - a highly rated malware detector and remover; can be run as a stand-alone product (when malware is suspected) or there is a real-time monitor variant.
    Last edited by grumpycrab; 11-09-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,722Posts Today

9,073Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Sadly for those buying jointly "Where there are joint purchasers, all purchasers would need to be first-time buyers. "

• First time buyers usually defined as someone who has never owned or part owned a property https://t.co/yM3urZNs8z

• You will not pay stamp duty https://t.co/vHoCWiUXfo

• Follow Martin