Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Westminster
    • By Westminster 9th Sep 17, 12:02 PM
    • 815Posts
    • 500Thanks
    Westminster
    Robinson Way fishing trip
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:02 PM
    Robinson Way fishing trip 9th Sep 17 at 12:02 PM
    Hi all

A bit of a blast from the past in the post today - I had a letter from Robinson Way saying they were trying to contact me at a previous address blah blah and to phone them

I can't get in to any instant online CRA files (as I've always had verification issues for some reason) but I did see that my MSE credit matcher 'score' (I know, I know!!) has plummeted which makes me think something adverse has been put back onto my credit file.

I gave them a call and its regarding a Barclaycard (formerly Egg Card) account which defaulted in 2006 (so long long gone from my CRA files). They claim the last payment was made to the account in 2014.

They were keen to discuss it on the phone but I declined and said I would contact them in writing.

After much digging, it appears this relates to an account that was being managed by Moorcroft in 2014 and with them I agreed and paid a full & final settlement on the account which would be marked as partially settled.

The balance remaining after that settlement with Moorcroft is about £100 less than Robinson Way are claiming.

So the account is clearly not statute barred - but where do I stand with the 'promise' from Moorcroft that they were accepting that 2014 payment as full & final.

I've found the email Moorcroft sent to me which says this:
    We write to confirm that further to your recent instructions the amount of
    £889.94 has now been deducted from the Debit / Credit card details which you
    supplied to us and posted to your account on our system.
    I'm annoyed with myself that I didn't notice or chase this at the time to get them to confirm the settlement.
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a Board Guide on the following boards: Mortgages & Endowments, Mortgage-Free Wannabe, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Small Biz & Charities' MoneySaving and Charities.

I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts on there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Page 1
    • Westminster
    • By Westminster 9th Sep 17, 12:15 PM
    • 815 Posts
    • 500 Thanks
    Westminster
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:15 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:15 PM
    A productive call with Moorcroft who explained that the email I received in 2014 was just a payment confirmation, they would also have separately written in the post confirming settlement.

He was very surprised Robinson Way had been passed the remaining balance.

He is sending me a copy of the settlement letter which I will forward to Robinson Way while hopefully will put an end to it.

You think you've got it all sorted, and then from out of the woodwork ...... ;-)
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a Board Guide on the following boards: Mortgages & Endowments, Mortgage-Free Wannabe, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Small Biz & Charities' MoneySaving and Charities.

I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts on there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • Westminster
    • By Westminster 9th Sep 17, 12:27 PM
    • 815 Posts
    • 500 Thanks
    Westminster
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:27 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:27 PM
    Spoke to Robinson Way who seemed fine with that - so will forward them the Moorcroft copy letter when I get it.

Hopefully this just turns out to be a way of burning 2 hours of my Saturday morning and nothing else.

They did confirm my suspicions which is that nothing adverse has been reposted to CRAs due to age of default. So my score (as everyone elses) is complete nonsense :-)

• sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 9th Sep 17, 12:55 PM
    • 12,421 Posts
    • 11,822 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:55 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:55 PM
    Hi,

Its so, so, important to obtain and keep written conformation of any settlement deals you agree with creditors or there tame DCA`s.

Time and again people post on here when there chased again for supposedly settled debts, first question is always :

"did you get this agreement in writing ?"

Lots dont, they just hand over the money without thinking.

I'm glad you have managed to confirm your debts status westminster, you can never trust anyone in this game to play by the rules.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 11th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 11th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    Alas, it's not a fishing trip, it's a DCA selling on a debt that they agreed to close off.

Get the letter saying that the F&F was indeed a full settlement that agreed to settle the debt completely, send it to Robinson Way, and then go back to Moorcroft with an angry complaint that they have sold on a debt that they agreed to close.

You may not get anything out of it, but they should not be allowed to get away with breaking an agreement without at least a bashing for their trouble.
  • National Debtline
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:32 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:32 PM
    Hi Westminster

It sounds like this is all going to be quite easily resolved but if you do have any problems let us know. It’s good to hear Moorcroft have the confirmation letter and are happy to forward it on. Generally speaking it’s best to keep copies of those letters yourself, at least for 6 years after settling the debt.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,132Posts Today

4,612Users online

Martin's Twitter