Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • eithnemc
    • By eithnemc 9th Sep 17, 12:00 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 1Thanks
    eithnemc
    Turnkey question
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:00 PM
    Turnkey question 9th Sep 17 at 12:00 PM
    Our new home is turnkey. We paid the builder for the extras and he paid the suppliers as listed. Except for the tiler. We apparently have to pay him separately.
    I'm suspicious about this as he has not produced an invoice, just an a4 page with his name mobile number and price. None of the works broken down or that the builder paid him £500 pc sum.
    This tiler also took 2 weeks holiday which meant our handover was delayed.
    He became very aggressive when we said this wasn't a proper invoice. What should we do? We haven't paid him yet!
Page 2
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 10th Sep 17, 3:36 PM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 5,815 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Our new home is turnkey.
    Originally posted by eithnemc
    Apart from the fact that I keep on misreading "turnkey" as "turkey", this doesn't sound "turnkey" to me? Surely the whole point of turnkey is that you walk into your new house without having to pay contractors and negotiate what the invoices etc look like?
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 11th Sep 17, 8:27 AM
    • 5,315 Posts
    • 4,662 Thanks
    00ec25
    He is under no obligation to provide one.
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    he is under a legal obligation to provide a valid invoice as set out in the link. I agree that a breakdown of costs is not part of that

Just pay him, hes done the work. Jeez. I had a plaster at my house last year. he wanted £300, i agreed, i paid him. I didn't care about bits of paper, just the quality of the work.
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    your attitude to supporting the tax evading economy by not requiring invoices does not alter the fact that one should be produced

I agree the tradesman must be paid since he has done the work, but unless you are seeking an "agreed" discount on what others quoted you for the work, the failure to obtain a valid invoice suggests all is not kosker
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 11th Sep 17, 10:23 AM
    • 947 Posts
    • 994 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    And old story but Paying cash in hand is 'diddling the country', says HMRC's Dave Hartnett

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18964640
    Compensations/Refunds from Banks & Institutions - £4,165 | Stooz Profits - £7,636 | Quidco - £3,963

All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
    • Mrs pbradley936
    • By Mrs pbradley936 11th Sep 17, 10:38 AM
    • 12,621 Posts
    • 18,939 Thanks
    Mrs pbradley936
    Surely it is the tiler and his accountant's issue if the chap is not keep accurate records. All of the "compliance" nonsense when it is unnecessary is what is wrecking small businesses. If the work is well carried out pay the man. What else can possibly be of concern to you? So what if his accountant has a bit more sorting out to do or wants to instruct him on better record keeping?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

178Posts Today

2,290Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin