Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • toadhall
    • By toadhall 9th Sep 17, 10:57 AM
    • 313Posts
    • 65Thanks
    toadhall
    Turned 50, now what?
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:57 AM
    Turned 50, now what? 9th Sep 17 at 10:57 AM
    So I turned 50 yesterday, this is the over 50's forum, so what exciting things can I claim or do etc?
    I can't retire for another 17 years, so not really interested in all that stuff (I do have work pension to look forward to in another 17 years).

But since I've now hit the big 50 and this forum is called over 50's, I thought I should see what I can save etc.

Thanks
Page 1
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 9th Sep 17, 11:27 AM
    • 5,706 Posts
    • 5,317 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:27 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:27 AM
    So I turned 50 yesterday
    Originally posted by toadhall
    Many happy returns for yesterday!

I can't retire for another 17 years, so not really interested in all that stuff (I do have work pension to look forward to in another 17 years).
    Being pedantic, as a general rule you can retire whenever you want - you just can't claim your State Pension for another 17 years. Pension freedoms now mean that private pensions are generally accessible once you;re over 55, although you may need to transfer pensions to get to it.

so what exciting things can I claim or do etc?
    Not a lot, to be honest. It's been raised before that the age of over 50 for this board is a bit arbitrary - most offers etc that I'm aware of kick in at 55, 60 or 65, and they're often for use on weekdays during the day which are no use if you are working full time Monday-Friday 9-5.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 10th Sep 17, 10:19 AM
    • 29,702 Posts
    • 55,504 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    • 10th Sep 17, 10:19 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 10:19 AM
    I think you are entitled to use Saga Insurance
    http://www.saga.co.uk/insurance/campaigns/ppc/NDB460/index.html?source=NDB493&scid=ppc-b|ser|motor|na|bing|na|b:_saga_insurance_-_exact|saga_insurance_-_exact|saga_insurance&gclid=CPmBjOCkmtYCFUvAGwodBg cMlg&gclsrc=ds
    To love someone is to learn the song in their heart and to sing it to them when they have forgotten it
    'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
    St. Augustine — 'In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.'
    • retiredlady
    • By retiredlady 10th Sep 17, 11:59 AM
    • 2,176 Posts
    • 7,707 Thanks
    retiredlady
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:59 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:59 AM
    Now the fun starts ��
    When life hands you lemons, ask for tequilla and salt and give me a call!!!
    • missile
    • By missile 10th Sep 17, 1:56 PM
    • 8,991 Posts
    • 4,370 Thanks
    missile
    • 10th Sep 17, 1:56 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 1:56 PM
    Congratulations.

You are one of the lucky ones. Many don't live to see their 50th birthday
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 14th Sep 17, 4:40 PM
    • 8,517 Posts
    • 5,046 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 14th Sep 17, 4:40 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 4:40 PM
    Come my next birthday early next year, I will have lived my mother by 10 years.

After 50 and certainly after 60 time seems to whizz past.

The 1990s don't seem long ago until you work it out and my two youngest grandchildren are both 4 next month, yet it doesn't seem a year since they were just learning to walk.

Having done the week's shopping 'yesterday', it will need doing again the day after tomorrow and it doesn't seem 11 months since I last haggled the phone and broadband contract.

My latest time travel is to wake up in a morning and decide to close my eyes briefly, only to find that the clock has sneaked on another hour or so and it sometimes does this 3 or 4 times in one morning.
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 14th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    • 1,627 Posts
    • 988 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    It's only a number.

If you aren't doing so already it is time to look after yourself. Review your lifestyle, get some health advice, look at your diet, get an active hobby and enjoy what you have at the moment as well as preparing for the future.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 16th Sep 17, 1:55 PM
    • 533 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    dunroving
    • 16th Sep 17, 1:55 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 1:55 PM
    It's only a number.

If you aren't doing so already it is time to look after yourself. Review your lifestyle, get some health advice, look at your diet, get an active hobby and enjoy what you have at the moment as well as preparing for the future.
    Originally posted by Nebulous2
    Couldn't agree more. I think a lot of people underestimate what an important asset their health is. And that it's something you have to put some effort into.
    • Wild_Rover
    • By Wild_Rover 16th Sep 17, 6:05 PM
    • 5,005 Posts
    • 15,840 Thanks
    Wild_Rover
    • 16th Sep 17, 6:05 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 6:05 PM
    Your post doesn't say where you live...... but for readers in Scotland, Scotrail has a "Club 50" - for a £15 annual fee you can have reduced cost rail travel, especially if you buy tickets on line. Sometimes they have special offers.

At the moment there is a special offer of off-peak return travel between any two stations in Scotland (return within a month of outward trip) for only £17. Mrs Wild Rover and I have a wee trip up north booked for next month.

I can't say that I notice many other special offers for folk under the state retirement age. Bus passes are available in Scotland for the over 60s, but there is a consultation underway on that at the moment - I can't see that lasting in its present form, TBH.

WR
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire
    Why should I allow that same God to tell me how to raise my kids, who had to drown His own? RG. Ingersol
    I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously. D Adams
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 17th Sep 17, 1:02 AM
    • 37,823 Posts
    • 34,215 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    I can't say that I notice many other special offers for folk under the state retirement age.
    Originally posted by Wild_Rover
    There's more at 60, but that's not much help to the OP.

(Examples: surprised to find I now get free prescriptions, and even more surprised to find that theatre and cinema give senior discounts at 60.)
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 2 shawls, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 1 seaman's hat ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, another seaman's hat
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 17th Sep 17, 9:28 AM
    • 5,706 Posts
    • 5,317 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    (Examples: surprised to find I now get free prescriptions, and even more surprised to find that theatre and cinema give senior discounts at 60.)
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    Odeon 'silver cinema' showings are for over 55's - film, tea/coffee and biscuits for £3!
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 17th Sep 17, 4:05 PM
    • 37,823 Posts
    • 34,215 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Odeon 'silver cinema' showings are for over 55's - film, tea/coffee and biscuits for £3!
    Originally posted by p00hsticks
    Never been to one of those, but our local cinema (a Scott), does Silver Screenings and don't care who goes!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 2 shawls, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 1 seaman's hat ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, another seaman's hat
    • Corona
    • By Corona 21st Sep 17, 1:56 PM
    • 825 Posts
    • 761 Thanks
    Corona
    If your question concerns what to do in the next part of your life rather than money saving (I'm not clear) then I would say think about all the things that you haven't done that you wanted to do with your life, make a list and start working through them - if they're still possible. (When I turned 50, I looked back and realised thaat I'd always wanted to write a novel, so i did! It was pretty awful, but the second one was better )

When I turned 50, a friend;s husband said to me "turning 50 is God's way of reminding you that you're not going to be here forever, so get on with it!"

Hope this is helpful x
    • Murielson
    • By Murielson 21st Sep 17, 2:48 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    Murielson
    Originally posted by p00hsticks
    Never knew about this so thanks for posting.

However, as expected, not much good to those of us still working as in Andover they are at 1100 and 1400hrs on weekdays.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 23rd Sep 17, 4:06 PM
    • 7,846 Posts
    • 1,813 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Don't forget :
    50 is the new 40 or was it 40 is the new 50 or should that read 50 is the new 70 or was it 70 is the new 50 ?

I am totally confused - but then I am 54 !!
    • toadhall
    • By toadhall 26th Sep 17, 6:25 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    toadhall
    Thank you for the replies, sadly I don't live in Scotland anymore, but have lots to look forward to
    • Akahotpot
    • By Akahotpot 4th Oct 17, 5:03 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    Akahotpot
    I was 50 in June and I have used it to ring some changes

My actual 50th birthday was on a famous motorbike race meet in Italy (Mugello MotoGP) so off I went with my Nephew ,Brother IL on our bikes
    To prepare I joined Slimming world with my daughter to keep me motivate and in 3 months I lost 50llbs
    For the first time in 20 years I am not in the BMI overweight scale
    New house , I am a widower and was in a bit of a rut so decided to move to a new modern housing development but still close to my lifelong friends (this is WIP ,come on exchange date )
    So whats left ...start a new relationship even my daughters are nagging me to get out there but I am really struggling to engage
    It is just a number but I think its a good marker to decide how you intend to face old age
    • henry24
    • By henry24 5th Oct 17, 4:23 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    henry24
    I turned 50 nearly 5 years ago and the one thing I have noticed is how I now know the names of the doctors and nurses at the local surgery
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 5th Oct 17, 4:25 PM
    • 436 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    You have even more rights to be a grumpy old man/woman. Everyone will understand just that little bit more now....
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 21st Oct 17, 10:13 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    Mnd
    One thing I would suggest for male readers, you can request a PSA blood test from your GP, which is an indicator for prostate cancer. I speak from experience. Any problem, please, don't delay
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,015Posts Today

8,278Users online

Martin's Twitter